Lexus IS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,503 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Last weekend I managed I get a little done. Got one barrel smoothed and ready for powder, the other had a spot I needed to get welded as we cut too far. I smooth 3/4 of it then took it took get welded. Actually got it done one night but left for school right after so no more pics.

I left it with my friend, he smoothed the rest out and will be taking both to get powder coated Monday I think.

image_zps3b0271bb by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

image_zpsae403341 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Got a couple pictures of my faces being powder coated...

image_zpsb8e57706 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

image_zps528ba5cd by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

image_zps8f2be436 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I wasn't going to post the color of the faces until they were in my hands or on the car, but whatever lol.

Prismatic Powder, Sleet Gold with clear coat is what I had them done in.

I was expecting them to be a much lighter shade so hopefully the lighting was just bad. I still like the color though, I really contemplated doing a bronze/brown anyway.

That's all for now, someone should buy my Juran strut bar.

Planning on install and alignment next weekend!

And if anyone is looking to have their wheels powder coated you should look at Detective Coatings in Virginia. They do great work and are having a group buy right now until January 30th. It's a great deal!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506 (Edited)
Came back to Joplin this weekend and got some stuff done. Got my #2 lower control arms with poly bushings, poly steering rack bushings, and Uras tie rods installed. Got a fresh alignment. And greased some stuff up so no more squeaky clutch lol. Feels great so far. I haven't driven much, especially not aggressively since it's been cold but it feels smooth/solid again. One of my tie rods was super loose. Most likely from hitting a curb :lol:

DSC_2518_zps92645177 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2519_zps702939d1 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2522_zpsbbc758ed by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Found another picture of my barrels after the lips were cut off. They are at the local powder coater currently.

DSC_2514_zpsf1a4322d by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I grabbed a couple quick/shitty pictures from underneath while the car was on the lift. Things weren't fully buttoned up when I took them but everything was in place excluding the lower triangle brace and under panels.
I hate seeing underneath my car. I want to replace EVERYTHING that's covered in rust :pissed:

DSC_2527_zps048f5328 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2528_zps7c58186f by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2529_zps5a209cb3 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

My faces were delivered Saturday from being powder coated. Look great, the color is a little off from what I wanted but it's hard picking from pictures online. Plus, different base coats can give different end results. I still think they'll look great on the car. I had a hard time getting good pictures of the actual color. Bad lighting in my room lol.

DSC_2531_zpsf56bfba1 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2543_zps86d928db by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2561_zps677b422a by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2586_zps01585e2c by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2591_zps5de79e0f by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2593_zpsfba394da by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2598_zps6765b138 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2599_zps1819ee38 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

REALLY need some help finding another set of Blitz center caps. I would love to have the black/gold caps. I think they would look 10000x better.

http://my.is/forums/f113/wtb-wtt-blitz-type-03-center-caps-501433/

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,507
Good news too. My lips won't work. :pissed:

Bolt patterns are different and don't line up.

I placed my order over Black Friday weekend since they were having a special on all in stock lips. I had talked with the owner beforehand when I first started looking into widening and he mentioned I would need to send one of my faces so that the lips could be cut/drilled to match.

So I called Monday to talk with him about it. I specifically asked if I needed to send a face to confirm fitment since it was an off the shelf lip and not cut to spec. I had it boxed and ready to ship that day. I was assured everything would work, the center bore would just be a little bigger. Since I was using upgraded hardware it wouldn't be an issue.

I was willing to send my face just to make sure, and I would have been perfectly happy to have paid the extra money if he would have told me they wouldn't work and I'd need lips cut/drilled to spec.

Now I waited over a month for lips that won't work.

Hopefully I can send them back, but I'm assuming I'll need to send a face in, pay more money for lips to be cut, and wait another 4+ weeks to get lips that work.

:pissed:

So no, I won't be going to Import Alliance at the Texas Motor Speedway in 3 weeks.

And there's at least two other IS guys that got lips that don't fit their wheels either.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,511
sucks about the lips man, but I really like the face color.
great progress on the car. love the gold wheel color.

sucks on the wheels issue.
damn I'm sorry bro
Thanks guys.

Both lips and one of my faces were sent off to Wheel Flip yesterday. Hopefully I'll get everything back quicker than my lips took the first time...

I'm crossing my fingers my cut inner barrels are back from powder coat by the end of the week.

And REALLY hoping my inner/outers I sent to VR for chrome are finished by the end of the week. Tomorrow will be two weeks and that's how long they said it would take so we'll see.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,513 (Edited)
that's such a shame :( really want to see those on your car... it's beauty btw ;)

They'll be on there eventually :approve: just not as soon as I hoped :( It's not really ideal weather conditions anyway lol

If you look real close, there's a bunch of snow/ice on the hood/trunk/fender/quarters/etc.... I love parking outside.. :pissed:
IS_zpsd6bc19fa by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,515
you didn't have to park on the side, did you lol
Unfortunately that's just the parking garage on campus :blush:

My apartment complex was one of the few with no speed bumps and a decent entrance. I guess the trade off was no covered parking, although very few offer it and it costs extra for just a little bit of a roof over it.

I've taken my car up to the parking garage before bad weather (hail/ice) a couple times, but this little "storm" wasn't forecast to do much of anything.

I should have just bought a beater and left my car in the garage back at my parents :rolleyes:

Too late now, this will be the last winter my IS will be parked outside. And if things work out it'll be the last winter I have to drive it.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,518
certainly do not miss parking the IS outside... I feel your pain. at least white looks good in the snow :approve:
Haha, true true. Hopefully we don't get anymore snow here!

I hope you re installed the triangle brace
I grabbed a couple quick/shitty pictures from underneath while the car was on the lift. Things weren't fully buttoned up when I took them but everything was in place excluding the lower triangle brace and under panels.I hate seeing underneath my car. I want to replace EVERYTHING that's covered in rust :pissed:
:p

Well, still nothing from Wheel Flip. I'm hoping my lips won't take as long this time... They were delivered Monday of this week so we'll see.

VR wheels said my barrels should be done early this week. Yesterday they said they were almost done, but I've heard nothing yet :pissed:

In other news, finally getting to do some cool stuff with school. Going to Daytona Beach, FL next week for a design review conference for one of my classes. Free trip to Florida? Talked me into it. :cool:

Later in August I should also be going to another review conference in Logan, UT.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,519 (Edited)
Forgot I took some pictures the other weekend in the snow... Car is filthy! :lol:

Kinda thinking about switching up my tail lights...

DSC_2601_zpse2f20717 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2602_zpsb23f19c5 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2607_zps5fb7f2b0 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2611_zps198db4b2 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2612_zps8b58e3bf by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Also grab some pictures of my two barrels after picking them up for powder coat. Nothing special, just wanted them to be cleaned up.

DSC_2623_zps7c6fa152 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_2624_zpsfb17df92 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

This past weekend I ran through all bolt holes on the faces and those two barrels to clean up the built up powder. Since I upgraded to larger bolts there was less tolerance on them so the bolts didn't want to fit. Now they fit perfect :)

So now it's just a waiting game on my lips from Wheel Flip and my barrels from VR wheels.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,520 (Edited)
As I mentioned, I'm kinda thinking of switching up my tail lights. I really want LED's.

I've been talking to Nick at MMSport since he originally painted my tail lights. Trying to decide if I want to change the black or not...

Option 1) Put LED's in my tail lights as is.
Option 2) Chrome tail lights, inners painted red (like Modellista) with LED's.

Modellista made tail lights similar to mine, red painted inners with chrome rings. As far as I've seen, they're impossible to find so that's out of the question. Plus it wouldn't be worth the money when they'll be cut open anyway lol.

Just something I've been tossing around lately. Who knows what I'll end up doing.

1501 - 1520 of 1941 Posts