1161 - 1180 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
Wow, very shiny rims!

Looks very nice!
very nice work on the wheels!
oh haha sorry, i completely skipped that page! looks sooooo good!
i want new wheels right now!!! lol sick bro
I love what you have done to your car. Very nice my friend.
Thanks guys!!! :approve:

Should be picking up something tomorrow. Let's just say there is a possibility of it being a WAY better deal than the motor, and WAY too good to pass up. Time will tell on that, I'll grab a picture when I can.

I should be doing some pictures for a friend of mine tomorrow so I'm gonna try to grab some of my car tomorrow too. And a couple of at least part of our group.

Oh, I may put my wheels up for sale later this year. I'm really happy with the finish on them and everything, I am just still unsure whether or not I LOVE the wheels themself. Of course I can always change my mind.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
You gave it away in your last sentence. :p

New wheels?
Or was that the plan to begin with?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167
You gave it away in your last sentence. :p

New wheels?
Or was that the plan to begin with?
Actually it's not wheels at all :lol: I have been looking around though.

But I was really talking about a Nissan 370z 6 speed tranny. I told my friend about the adapter plate for the 370z tranny to a 2jz and he basically said they had one at the Nissan dealership he works at in the scrap bin! So I got one for free. It had a "rattling" noise that persisted after they changed the pilot bearing so they just pulled the whole tranny. We are going to tear into it eventually to see what is wrong with it, if anything. :approve:

If you decide to get rid of the Koenigs, please let me know! I would buy them today.. :):)
I will! Trust me I'll let you know. Just been super busy this summer. I'll get back to your PM soon I promise. I haven't forgotten about you!

But I'm really stuck on what I want to do with my car right now. I'm moving in 2 weeks and the roads are no where near conditions of the roads I drive now. I was literally in town for less than 24 hours and did more damage to my kit there than I have in over a year where I'm at now. And no, it wasn't my driving.

Working on getting some new pictures up also...

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
^hmm, tranny upgrade? I heard the 350Z ones aren't that tough though?

Sucks about the new driving conditions :( Can't wait to see the wheels!
First couple years of the 350z tranny's had syncro issues. Something like tranny's with CD0003 or something. Anything above that is good and there have been plenty of people documented to run good numbers through them.

370z tranny's haven't had any reported syncro issues or anything like that (atleast that I've come across lol). But they are supposed to have beefier gears so it should hold up great.

Still haven't completely decided on my wheels... I wish they cleared LS400 calipers. I'd pull off the 15mm spacer up front and get 245's for them and make them fit. Or put my 255's up front and get 275's for the back. I'm almost positive I could fit them. But I just can't do anything with the front as is.

Because of the lack of camber and the amount of stretch my tires have it just looks funny now that I raised it :blush: So I don't know what to do.

I thought about picking up flares and getting a forged one piece wheel and running 275's all around. I just don't think it would look right.

So I'm really frustrated with how to proceed from here. The biggest thing is I really wanted to go lower/more aggressive. And now I have to basically go the complete opposite direction.

mmm....keep us updated on the tranny swap. id like to know how it works out.
I'll definitely post any progress/info I have on this. The only issue is since I'm moving I probably won't make any efforts to get it done until there is more info. Sucks, but I just won't have time or a place to work on it.

There is another guy on the forum that is supposed to be working on it. Plus there is at least 1 SC guy that has the tranny in his car and it is running. So more info should pop up eventually.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Nice pics Corey. Have you ever thought about getting the wheels re-lippped?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,173
Nice pics Corey. Have you ever thought about getting the wheels re-lippped?
I have. Two issues with that though.

1.) Wider lips won't do much. I can't go more aggressive unless I go lower, and going lower isn't happening :( So unless I get SMALLER lips it would be pointless at this time.

2.) The barrels are welded. I was planning on going wider when I was refinishing them but the inner and outter barrels are welded together. So I would either have to get new inner AND outter barrels or I would have to have them cut apart and buy new lips. Neither of those options sounded very good considering new inner and outer barrels would cost me almost as much as buying a new set of wheels. And if who ever did the cutting messed up even a little bit I'd be left with 3 wheels. Talk about hard to use/sell. So I didn't want to deal with it.

It is what it is. It's basically I have to deal with it or sell the wheels. It comes down to me making a decision one way or the other and living with it.

I think once I get down there and have a better idea of how much I'll be driving and where I'll be driving it will be an easier decision.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Corey, car looks good as always, bug guts and all...lol!! I'm looking at getting another IS soon, so wheels may be going up for sale huh???

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,177 (Edited)
Corey, car looks good as always, bug guts and all...lol!! I'm looking at getting another IS soon, so wheels may be going up for sale huh???
You know I'll let you know!

damn corey! loving that exhuast ;-)
Haha :approve: Thanks again!

nice pics Corey....i love how your car flows.

Getting ready to get started on this in an hour or so....

DSC_0354 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_0355 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_0356 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179 (Edited)
Well a little late on the update, but everything with my timing belt, 90k maintenance, radiator install, etc. went smoothly.

My friend at Nissan hooked me up, so I brought the car to him Friday night so we could work on it there. Got most of the motor torn down and then woke up Saturday morning and got everything put back together.

Only things we ran into were the timing tensior I bought was the older style without the extra arm attachment. Could be a bad thing, but I also don't think I would have had room for it with the Koyo radiator and stock fan setup.

We also didn't install the new PCV valves or front main seal. Front main seal like too much work lol. PCV valves seemed easy so I'll do them eventually.

I think that's about it. I picked up OEM spark plugs from Toyota and that's about the only thing I was missing.

OH there were two seals that weren't included/on the list I found of parts to buy. One was an O-ring/seal for the water pump setup. I just reused the old one. The other was the gasket that goes around the thermostat. I bought a new OEM thermostat but a new gasket wasn't included. Toyota happened to have one in stock so I picked it up.

Unfortunately I left my camera in my girlfriends car Friday night so I only have pictures from that night :( I forgot to get pictures of everything put back together too :lol:

Starting to pull things apart.
photo-2 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_0378 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Crank pulley bolt OUT. YES.
DSC_0377 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Most stuff apart. Still needed to pull the water pump.
photo3-1 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

New timing belt back on. New water pump. New idler pulley. blah blah blah.
photo2-1 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

And that's all I have from that :( I'll try to get an updated engine bay shot now that it's all back together.

I did take a couple interior shots though.... :)

DSC_0393 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Got a new Carbing shift knob :lol:

DSC_0385 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_0364 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I know I know... Not everyones style. I bought 3" extension on eBay for $8 just to try. I read some stuff about extending the shifter made things smoother/easier to shift and anyone with a Karl Sport shifter knows its stiff and very precise.

It was a night and day difference with the extension. Even with my TRD knob or stock knob. It's smoother hands down. Seriously, if you have a KSS get on eBay and spend $8 and try it. The only issue for me was the knobs I had looked goofy and out of place.

Came across the Carbing knob and it wasn't too expensive so I bought it. I like it, wish it was heavier but I like it with the extension. I tried it without the extension and it's still nice, but it's awkward because of it's size. It's too small. A 1" or 2" extension may look better but I'm OK with it for now.

And really, try it before you talk to much crap on it! :lol:

And last but not least... I raised my car :( I decided things will be easier to do it now. So I raised it last week. And then I pulled my Vertex kit off the other day. Next up is pulling my SSR's and putting stocks back on :(

I did get two new tires for my stock wheels since I had that stupid issue with my camber bolt...

Rocked this for about a week...

DSC_0395 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_0400 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Then pulled the kit off and rocked stock body with wheels for a week.
I've since pulled my wheels off and I'm back on stock wheels :(

1161 - 1180 of 1931 Posts