Lexus IS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121 (Edited)
Finally dropped my wheels off with the guy to be polished. He was out of town so I'm still waiting to hear from him :(

Took a chance and ordered brand new SSR valve stems. The rubber seals on mine were rotten and hard so I'm surprised they held air, plus they were rusted and nasty. I couldn't find the measurements for SSR's so I made an educated guess and bought some. I don't have the wheels to get for sure, but I'm 95% sure they will fit perfect, maybe a slight difference but no big deal.

Bad news is the cost over $480 :shocked:

DSC_8512 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Blue is just a weird reflection :approve:
DSC_8513 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

:lol: Just kidding.

I did make the purchase Thursday night though, and on Friday someone used my debit card to make $480 worth of purchases through Amazon. Oh well, I saw the transactions Monday morning and got everything straightened out with the bank.

Trying to decide if I want to go with 245/35's or 255/35's again...

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
That's sweet. Great to get an update from you bro!

I'm confused though, is it a blue tip or not? Haha

And how did your fraud charge in Amazon equal the exact amount as your valve stems?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice Corey.... Can't wait to see the wheels all done, still hurting about your decision though:(. Glad to see them being taken care of..btw you kinda pushed me to get some better wheels.;)

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
245/35 perfect stretch
I know... But I kinda like the meaty fitment...

Nice Corey.... Can't wait to see the wheels all done, still hurting about your decision though:(. Glad to see them being taken care of..btw you kinda pushed me to get some better wheels.;)
I know man :( I do wish I could have picked up some other wheels, it just wasn't in the cards... I just feel like I'm doing all this work on them, and my car is going to look exactly the same...

You need to get a build thread up though! I need to know what's going on and what wheels you are getting!

That's sweet. Great to get an update from you bro!

I'm confused though, is it a blue tip or not? Haha

And how did your fraud charge in Amazon equal the exact amount as your valve stems?
Lol ok, it seems like that post was confusing.

The valve stems are all chrome, no blue on them, and all four cost $60.

I was joking saying they cost me $480 because I think my info was stolen during the transaction and then used to make the Amazon transactions. I purchased the valve stems Thursday evening through More-Japan.com and then sometime Friday the Amazon purchases started popping up. The valve stem purchase was the only time I've used my card recently besides paying for gas or some food at Chick Fil A :lol:

The total of the Amazon purchases was close to $480. Does that make better sense? I know I know... It turned into a horrible joke :lol:

Haha oh well.

In other news, I got an alignment last week. Great news! Driver side front camber bolt is seized to the bushing! Looks like it's time to get Figs bushings..

Rey, I'll be emailing you sometime in the next couple weeks about those arms :lol:

And with some stuff involving Firestone, I won't be going back. They are refunding me for the Life-Time alignments after I sat for TWO HOURS without them even touching my car. That's after scheduling an appointment. And yes, I understand things come up, but keep your customer informed and maybe you won't lose them.

So my friend that works at Nissan will be doing them from now on. That's fine with me, I can hang out, help out, and watch things as he works :approve:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I actually got some wheels already.. no secret but I do need a build thread. And it may look the same but your doing the work that really counts.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
In other news, I got an alignment last week. Great news! Driver side front camber bolt is seized to the bushing! Looks like it's time to get Figs bushings..

Rey, I'll be emailing you sometime in the next couple weeks about those arms :lol:

And with some stuff involving Firestone, I won't be going back. They are refunding me for the Life-Time alignments after I sat for TWO HOURS without them even touching my car. That's after scheduling an appointment. And yes, I understand things come up, but keep your customer informed and maybe you won't lose them.

So my friend that works at Nissan will be doing them from now on. That's fine with me, I can hang out, help out, and watch things as he works :approve:
The #1 LCA bushing is a nightmare to get out. You should take it to someone who did it before. The shop that took mine out had to use some type of tool to squeeze the metal bearing together to pop them out. They said it was quite difficult.

It costed me $120 to have a reputable tuner shop remove and press in these beautiful SuperPro bushings:

It was so worth it. :bigSmile:

Also, you goto Firestone to get your alignment?! :confused: I heard those guys are hacks and they barely know how to align a stock car let alone a car with aftermarket gear.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
I actually got some wheels already.. no secret but I do need a build thread. And it may look the same but your doing the work that really counts.
Nice. I look forward to seeing what you got!

The #1 LCA bushing is a nightmare to get out. You should take it to someone who did it before. The shop that took mine out had to use some type of tool to squeeze the metal bearing together to pop them out. They said it was quite difficult.

It costed me $120 to have a reputable tuner shop remove and press in these beautiful SuperPro bushings:
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7642/photofeb1860831pm.jpg

Also, you goto Firestone to get your alignment?! :confused: I heard those guys are hacks and they barely know how to align a stock car let alone a car with aftermarket gear.
Hmm... My friend works at Nissan and he's been my go to guy for basically everything. He pressed out one of Figs RCA hysteer ball joints and then pressed in a new one. I'll talk to Figs about how difficult the #1 would be compared to that.

Plus that's the reason I would like to buy an extra set, so I can have everything done without my car being down :approve:

And unfortunately I don't have an abundance of options available in regards to getting an alignment done. Joplin isn't exactly a big town, especially after the tornado.

I purchased the life-time alignment for the same amount it would have cost me to get two alignments done at the place I trust. My plan was to use Firestone until I had my suspension sorted out. When I was to the point that I was only needing two alignments a year I'd go to the place I trust. And until I installed the toe links everything adjusted like stock so I wasn't too worried about it, I just told them what I wanted and they did it.

I WAS worried about them adjusting the toe links, but they never got that far. Now I don't have to worry about it :lol:

Oh and I just looked at the part diagram for the front suspension because I was confused. The NO. 2 arms are what I need at this point. They are the ones that the camber bolt goes through, and that is where the bolt is seized. My main priority is getting my wheels and kit back on right now and that means getting the NO. 2 arms and bushings soon. I'll get the NO. 1's later in summer or something :approve:

And I still haven't heard anything on my wheels :pissed: I'm going to Florida in about a week for springbreak and I was hoping to have them back before then... Basically everything else is on hold until I get back from there :lol:

Things should FINALLY start coming back together in April.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hey Corey, let me know what you want to do about the arms when you are ready--no rush at all. Also, the #1 is the camber arm (right side of Tony's pic). Good luck with the swap.

·
THE MAKER
4,811 Posts

I like that pic Tony. The front #1 bushing is a pain to hold the arm so that you can put force on the bushing. It requires a big clamshell and a precise driver.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
love this car.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132

Ready for some updates???

It's been a long, frustrating road, but my car is finally back where I want it for summer.

Vertex kit is on.
Wheels are finished, tires, mounted, wheels are ON.

That's about it :lol: Seems easy enough right?

I've ordered 320 wheels nuts (to hold the faces of my wheels to the barrels). Turns out the flange on all of them is 2mm smaller than the originals, so they are worthless to me. I ended up stripping the old nuts and painting them. Luckily I paid around $25 for all the other nuts...

I bought Rey's front LCA's a couple months ago lol. Had the bushings pressed out, powder coated silver, and Figs polyurathane bushings pressed in. Also bought two new camber bolts, nuts, and washers since one side is seized. Haven't installed them yet though...

I tried for MONTHS to find a place to make me new decals for my wheels. Basically every place has turned me down. So for now I'm going with Rey's suggestion and rocking no decals. They still look great :approve:

Also bought General G Max 03 or something tires. 255/35/18 again. They look so aggressive from the back! But they are supposed to have a great life to them, and had great reviews every where. I haven't pushed them hard at all the past 2 days because it's scary driving on wheels you JUST put together by hand lol.

Speaking of wheels... I dropped them off at my painters and the polisher was supposed to pick them up for me. After 3 weeks he got fired. So I had no one to polish my lips, and my wheels were an hour away. Decided to have my painter paint the inner barrels a light grey since they were there. Came out awesome. Then he dropped them off at a local (to him) wheel repair place and they polished my lips and part of my center caps. Really happy with the results.

As for the faces of my wheels... I'll finally let the secret out ;) They are Quicksilver FX found on Toyota Supra's among others. They also have a LIGHT purple pearl on them. They look fanastic during the day. One angle they look gunmetal, another they look polished, then silver. I'm really happ with the decision.

I picked up a Dakota Digital speed converter from my friend. Also ordered a Tach converter. Just need to wire those up, order an oil pressure sending unit and install that, then my Digital cluster will be good to go :).

I bought a K&N intake. It was cheap, cleaned the filter, cleaned the pipe, and it looks new. Not bad for $75 shipped.

Also bought a Kim's Engineering exhaust. It was on impulse, but I'm really happy I bought it. Sounds amazing and it fits great. Pokes a little with the JDM rear and Vertex lip but so did my Blitz Nur Spec which doesn't sound as good.

Sooo... I think that's about it. I have pictures of everything except the exhaust (other than it installed), but I forgot to upload them. I'll put them in this post in the next couple days.

I need some 5mm spacers in the rear, Samco coolant hoses, slim fans, and spark plugs. Timing belt job needs to be done soon. Fun fun. Not to mention the camber bolts need to be tackled...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Nice update; your car looks great as usual. Personally, I like the wheels more without the decals. Do the new tires seem to run even wider than the S. Drives you had before? I don't need tires yet, but I'm starting to look at different options. Your tails look chrome. I thought you had them painted.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Well done.....looks so sick! Can't wait to see more pics.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Car looks great Corey. Two thumbs up. :)

1121 - 1140 of 1931 Posts