Lexus IS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't see any cracking necessarily, there are some knicks where the shaft looks like it hit something and some scratches. But I can't say for sure if those were there or I did it when I pulled it apart.

I'll grab some pictures of it and email you them later today/tonight so you can see what I mean.

And definitely wedge a flat head in one of the four slits when you go to pull the threaded sleeve off. I tugged and pulled for like 10 minutes, then decided to try loosing it up with a screw driver a little. As soon as I did that it slid right off.

I had more trouble getting the rubber piece over the two pins :lol: That sucked... I just wedged a screw driver under it and a small allen wrench and tried to lift the hole in the rubber over the pin. Eventually I got them off enough to twist it so it wouldn't get caught again and then pulled it off.
Corey

send me those pics too, im still running on the og shaft for the shifter. havent changed it out yet....ill probably do it when it gets warmer outside. i turn into a little bitch once it gets cold haha.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,103
Great updates!!! Can't wait to see the wheels done!
Wow Corey, you did a fantastic job on the bolts! :approve:
Keep it up dood, you're getting there!
Thanks guys :approve:

Corey

send me those pics too, im still running on the og shaft for the shifter. havent changed it out yet....ill probably do it when it gets warmer outside. i turn into a little bitch once it gets cold haha.
I know what you mean about the cold! Yesterday it got up to about 60*F, but by the time I got to working on my car (7 or 8pm) it had dropped to 20*F with a wind chill of 4*F! It was stupid.

Since it had been so warm that day my garage wasn't cold too so that was nice, plus my car was warm from driving :bigSmile: I even had to pull my sweat shirt off when I was pulling the shifter out and putting it back in lol. And no the car wasn't running...

But as far as the scratches and stuff on the old shaft, I was looking at it before I took pictures and realized I'm an idiot. When I was pulling the metal part off the old shaft I clamped vice grips on it for more leverage.

So short answer, the scratches and stuff I saw on my old shaft are from the vice grips. I see no other visible signs of weakness or damage.

Make sure you pull of the clip rings when you start trying to take the rubber piece off. I don't think it is mentioned in Karl's instructions and I think I was pulling on mine before I noticed them :lol:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,105
Well it was another one of my great installs yesterday :pissed:

I was changing my oil yesterday afternoon and decided I'd install Figs adjustable front end links while I had the car in the air.

Got the oil change done and started taking things apart. Drive side end link came off no problem. Of course I forgot that when my friend and I installed my sway bars he stripped the passenger side end link when tightening it.

Great. So I got to the point to pull the sway bar out with the end link attached and went brain dead. I spent like 20 minutes trying to pull the sway bar out because of that stupid water line (or whatever) by the drive side. It didn't help that I only had it on jack stands...

Whatever, I finally got it out and then went idiot mode again. I should have just drilled the stupid nut off the end link from the beginning, but decided to try to a slit in it and use a screw driver to hold the bolt still. After hacking at it for about 20 minutes the light went on and I realized I could just drill it out.

Finally got the stupid end link off but yet again I went brain dead. Couldn't figure out how to get the sway bar back in :lol:. I had to go in and eat dinner to take my mind off it haha. Got back out there and took a different approach and had it back in way faster.

As a tip to any one else installing the fronts, attach the top end of the link to the sway bar first (both ends) then adjust them from the bottom. I did it opposite and realized I couldn't get the top bolt into the sway bar so I had to undo it again.

Then I finally got everything together and was ready to tighten the jam nut when I found out that I didn't have an 18mm open ended wrench. Perfect.

:lol: Whatever I went and barrowed one from my friend last night and finished it this morning. Went for a quick drive and there is no more pop corn popping up front! It also doesn't look like I need the relocation bracket. I'm going to look at it again to see how the angle of the sway bar is but for a rough adjustment they don't hit, and at least during easy driving they don't hit anything.

All in all this install should be very easy. Take the wheels off and then it's two bolts on each side. If you have to pull the sway bar out it gets a little more difficult but as long as you THINK before you do anything it's not that big of a deal. I just made a lot of mistakes. Oh welllll.

It's done with. Figs makes great products. I'm happy it's done. Call me a retard for making so many mistakes, at least I'm out working on my car and getting things done ;)

Oh and to along with my stupid/random colored suspension parts I painted them blue. I had caliper paint left over from when I did my stock calipers like 3 years ago :lol: I never took pictures but the next time I have the wheel off I'll snap a picture. And NO, you don't need to paint them. Figs uses a material that is resistant to corrosion, I think he said they were zinc plated?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hahaha...you're too funny Corey. Did you remove the under panel? It only takes a couple minutes to remove with an electric screwdriver, and doing that made the job a lot easier.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,107
Hahaha...you're too funny Corey. Did you remove the under panel? It only takes a couple minutes to remove with an electric screwdriver, and doing that made the job a lot easier.
Of course! I can't imagine even trying to remove the sway bar with that under panel in the way :p

But man oh man. You don't realize how much noise there really was before until it's all gone. Love it! So much quieter.

Got a set of lower intake runners today thanks to Kevin! Woot. Gotta pay Dave for another set of valve covers then I'll be taking everything to be hot tanked.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I let the bar rest on that curved plastic piece on the passenger's side and something else on the driver's side. I bolted up the endlinks and then mounted the bushings. I left the first side loose until I got the other bracket in mounted. If needed, you can compress the suspension on the corner you are working on with your jack. Either way, I'm glad you're happy with the outcome.

This thing:

BTW, what length did you set yours at? I think I just went with 3.25" from bolt to bolt, and it seemed fine.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,110 (Edited)
Small update...

Got another set of valve covers from Dave, and lower intake runners from Kevin. Both hooked me up :approve: Gonna have most of the stuff hot tanked then painted at some point. More interested in getting my wheels done though so that's kinda on hold.

Taking the faces and the painted piece of the center caps to the painter tomorrow. I'm not sure when he'll be able to fit me in, but since he's an hour away I want to get them dropped off with him so he can work on them when he has time. HOPEFULLY they can be done in the next two weeks or so. I'll know more tomorrow night.

I'm also going to take two of my wheels with me when I go talk to him. My friend knows a wheel refinisher there so I'm going to show him the wheel I polished and then another one with some curb rash and see what he says. I polished the lip of one wheel by hand and it turned out pretty good. From far it looks great, up close you can still see some light sanding marks.

I'm going to talk to him about 3 options: 1) finishing the other 3 myself and live with small imperfections for at least another year. 2) finish the other 3, then take all 4 to him so he can touch them up and make them perfect, if he can, and if it's cheap. 3) I have him touch up the 1 I have finished, and then completely polish the other 3.

I don't mind doing them myself, I did the first one completely by hand dry sanding then wet sanding and polishing. I just don't know how much time I'm going to have with school this semester. The weather hasn't been as cold so I've been working more also.

I REALLY want to get my wheels done. It's killing me having 60*+ weather in January and my car is all stock and blah. So we'll see how things come together.

This is the rear wheel I started... Not quite half way through sanding it yet.
DSC_8456 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

And this is obviously the one I have finished.
DSC_8462 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8466 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8467 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

And yes, the inner barrels look like crap :lol: I need to pull the wheel weights off and clean them up, tape things off, then paint them. Just been busy.

I'll have more updates eventually. Things are just slow right now.

Oh, and no I haven't 100% decided on a paint color for my wheels. Well the color is decided, the shade is not decided on yet. It'll be a secret until they are back on the car :p Nothing special though.

EDIT: I REALLY FREAKING WISH I knew someone in Japan, or someone that brought containers from Japan over regularly. I was browsing Yahoo Japan Auctions and came across three seperate auctions. One for an Elixir front bumper, One for the side skirts, and one for the JDM rear bumper and lip. All from the same car (all were black), maybe a little damage but nothing crazy, easily fixable. Price? Well... Front was $210, sides were $105, rear was $135 :pissed: I would LOVE to buy it all :pissed:

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
You said my name? lol. The one you polished came out good. I would do them myself to save money or if money isn't an issue I would have them refinished. I had let them do it though cause I had enough hours into the wheels already. :p

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,112
You said my name? lol. The one you polished came out good. I would do them myself to save money or if money isn't an issue I would have them refinished. I had let them do it though cause I had enough hours into the wheels already. :p
I'm working on getting the second wheel finished, and I'm gonna try a couple things on it. If it comes out better than the first one I'll go back and redo the 1st one, and then do the other two.

I'd prefer not to pay to have them done, but if they aren't going to be perfect I might have to.

Any one have some extra under panels? My sister ripped the smaller one off her car some how :suspiciou so I'd like to pick one up for her. It's the one that is farther back towards the transmission, mounts under the big one that goes to the front bumper.

Part 51442 in this picture

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,113 (Edited)
Alright alright I've got some updates...

First, I decided I wasn't happy with my polishing job. I should have just dropped them off with the guy to begin with but oh well.

My faces and part of my center caps are PAINTED and done. I haven't gone to pick them up yet though. I'm trying to arrange it so I can pick them up and drop off my wheels to be polished in the same day. The guys both work an hour from me so it'd be better to do it all at once. Hopefully I can do both in the next week.

Umm... this next part is and isn't my fault. I should be checking things every once and a while with the suspension mods that I have, but I've been lazy and have not be doing it. SO it's a learning experience and I will be keeping a better eye on things.

With that being said, I decided to FINALLY install my toe links yesterday. Well that was until I leaned on my rear wheel and heard a clank. I had unbolted NOTHING so there was no reason for it to move. This was with me under the car (on jack stands) so I started looking around.... The nut and washer for the camber adjuster on my driver side were gone. WTF :pissed: The camber bolt was just sitting there. So I have no idea how long it was like this.

Whatever. I'm just glad nothing happened because of it. Toyota didn't have the nuts and from the little time I spent searching the washer didn't cross over to Toyota so I had to order both. Nuts should be here tomorrow morning and washers should be here Friday. Until then my alignment is FU**ED so I found a nut and washer to fit so I could at least drive to school and work. Even better news is my tires are bald anyway so it's not like my alignment freaking matters at this point :lol:

Like I said, I've learned from this. Gonna rig up a setup so I can have the suspension compressed but still get under it to torque things down. And I need to buy a torque wrench.

Oh, and I haven't touched those bolts/nuts. Last time they would have been touched was my alignment like 6 months ago. So who knows.

And since my alignment is screwed up anyway I installed my toe links today finally. Had them almost a year but finally decided to do it. Mainly I was worried about the bolts being seized like my lower control arms were.

Luckily things went smoothly and I'll be putting together a little DIY since there isn't one.

DSC_8503 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Also took a picture of my front end links since I never showed them.

DSC_8468 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

And teaser of my faces in primer :)

Primer by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

EDIT: Link to DIY

DIY Figs Toe Link Install

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Wow Corey, I'm glad nothing bad happened! Didn't you say something about some clunking a while back? You should get some ramps and 2x12's to load your suspension; I'm pretty sure you saw my pic.

I think I got my tires before you, so you must drive a LOT, got a lot of inner tire wear, or you drive like an a-hole :lol:

P.S. The bottom of your car must look like a box of crayons.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
lol I told you about the polishing. :p That bolt mising is crazy though.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Nice Corey, can't wait to see the wheels all done!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,120
Wow Corey, I'm glad nothing bad happened! Didn't you say something about some clunking a while back? You should get some ramps and 2x12's to load your suspension; I'm pretty sure you saw my pic.

I think I got my tires before you, so you must drive a LOT, got a lot of inner tire wear, or you drive like an a-hole :lol:

P.S. The bottom of your car must look like a box of crayons.
Yeah I saw you're setup. I'll be looking into something similar soon. I may just get some wood and rig something up.

I do drive a decent about, but no where NEAR enough to have worn out those tires already. I know the rear tires may wear a little faster than the front, but my front tires look basically new. I think that missing nut has something to do with it :p My camber probably bounced all around, throwing toe all over the place, so my tires wore like crazy.

Yeah yeah, lots of colors :p at least I'm not doing multi colored wheel bolts, or all four wheels different colors. Something like that. And yes, it would have been a better idea to do everything black. It's too late for that though :lol:

Nice update man, can't wait to see what colour the wheels are going to be.
Nice Corey, can't wait to see the wheels all done!
I'm really happy with how the color came out :p Very subtle but I think it'll look great.

Unforunately when my painter brought the wheels and center caps down the other night the center caps rubbed together and got kinda scratched up. Luckily he was back in town yesterday helping a friend move so I dropped them off with him. He took them back to his shop to fix them though :blush:

Oh well, it's not like I'd be putting them on soon anyway. I'm going to try to get the barrels dropped off on Friday to have the lips polished.

I keep thinking I'm close to having my wheels done and back together, and then I remember what I still have left :blush:

Polish lips
Paint inner barrels
Refinish emblems
Have the center cap rings polished
New stickers for the faces
New stickers for the barrels
New center cap bolts
New valve stems
Reseal the barrels
Put the wheels together
New rear tires

School is really taking away from my time getting this stuff done. I should be doing homework or looking for valve stems right now but instead I'm updating this :confused:

Shooting for having my wheels DONE, new tires, and my kit back on the car before April 29th. Sooner the better, but we'll see.

1101 - 1120 of 1931 Posts