Lexus IS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081 (Edited)
Finally some more updates...

I bought some engine parts to have painted/powder coated when I do my timing belt so I can just swap things over. Purchased: Upper intake manifold, throttle body, y-thing, and valve covers. Still need lower intake manifold runners, and I'm probably gonna buy another set of valve covers. Once has a chip along the edge and the both have a snapped bolt in them. Easy fix on those but I'd rather just buy some in better shape.

Finally manned up and bought Figs adjustable front end links. Mike comes through like always and got them to me SUPER fast. Gonna throw some stupid color paint on them in the next couple days and install in another week or so.

DSC_8156 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Got some more OEM parts from Lexus. Water pump, drive belt, PCV grommet, and some clips for the door scuff plates. I noticed my plates didn't stay in very well with my side skirts installed so I went ahead and bought new ones. Also bought a windshield sun screen thing. I noticed a slight bit of the "melting dash" on my air bag this summer so hopefully this will prevent it from spreading.

DSC_8157 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8158 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Probably the biggest update... Got my tires taken off and have been working on taking my wheels apart.

DSC_8137 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

The bolts are pretty nasty. I've managed to clean a few up with some effort. Soaked them in some soap and took a tooth brush to them. Took forever and they aren't perfect. Gonna try to figure out another option or possibly look into just having them stripped and chrome plated again. We shall see.

DSC_8159 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Before any work...

DSC_8161 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

After, still not perfect.

DSC_8160 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8163 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,082 (Edited)
Now what I found next, for ME, sucks. However it just depends on how you look at things.

I had seen a lot of information about older SSR three piece wheels not having the barrels welded like the newer wheels. I had my hopes up because I was considering replacing them with a little wider lips to push them to 18x11". So once I got the faces out I stripped all the old sealant off. And guess what? They're welded.

Not really a big deal. They are still good fitment as is. And I can refinish the lips without too much trouble. Oh well.

DSC_8183 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8182 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8181 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

It may not be much, but that's my new tool box and jack :lol:

DSC_8188 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8190 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Next up, stripping clear coat off the lips.

DSC_8164 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

At least, I think...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Thats why i bought new ones lol, are you painting the faces?
I still might buy new bolts. Kinda checking my options at this point.

Faces will be either powder coated or painted, but not for a while.

Still not sure what I want to do with them. I'm really thinking about selling them. I'm PM'ing some one tonight. What they say will probably determine what I decide to do.

That's why so much is up in the air. I don't want to strip the lips if someone thinks they are fine as is. I don't want to buy new bolts if someone can have them plated cheap, or is willing to spend their time on them. I don't want to paint the faces and limit who would buy them.

Things like that.

I do think I'm going to get some new sealant and re-seal over the welded barrels. Along with getting new stickers for the barrels made, and possibly new emblems for the center caps. Maybe new center cap hard ware. And probably new vavle stems and caps. HAHA so much I MIGHT do. Who knows :lol:

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Good luck with the whel project..lol. You know I about that first hand. I don't think I will do that again..lol. You should have left the bolts overnight or for a couple days in some PEPSI. Yes the soda. You should have hit me up about the intake manifold. I have all three pieces. :p

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Happy holidays! Don't sell them man. Do a gunmetal face to go with your dark theme (which I'm a huge fan of) and that's it :)

·
10,234 Posts
The lips are anodized clear, so the airplane paint stripper might not work out too well. I remember doing a set back in the day, using OFF Oven Cleaner to strip of the anodize.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Good updates Corey.
Keep em coming!
Good luck with the wheels.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091 (Edited)
Good luck with the whel project..lol. You know I about that first hand. I don't think I will do that again..lol. You should have left the bolts overnight or for a couple days in some PEPSI. Yes the soda. You should have hit me up about the intake manifold. I have all three pieces. :p
I already talked to you about this, but for anyone else checking this thread out...

PEPSI worked like a CHAMP. The bolts look SO much better. I'll have pics in a day or two.

And Kevin, I didn't know you were selling them. But I got all of those pieces for $100 shipped... :lol: But hey, do you have an extra set of valve covers? I need another set I think...

Happy holidays! Don't sell them man. Do a gunmetal face to go with your dark theme (which I'm a huge fan of) and that's it :)
... Well... Looks like I'll be keeping them.

Either prices went up, value of the US dollar went down, or a combination of both. Basically new wheels were about $800 MORE than I was expecting.

In other words, I won't be buying a new set of wheels. I've got too much stuff I want to get done and new wheels will only set me farther behind.

I could buy used wheels but the chances of me finding a GOOD sized set, in better condition than mine that clears my front calipers is slim, especially in a wheel I actually like :lol:

So we'll see what I end up doing with the faces. I really need to start moving on things.

The lips are anodized clear, so the airplane paint stripper might not work out too well. I remember doing a set back in the day, using OFF Oven Cleaner to strip of the anodize.
I did some research and saw a lot of people using the Aircraft stripper so I think it should be OK. I saw some post about the OFF oven cleaner but not as many as the stripper. We'll see. I'll test it on a small spot before going all out with it.

Sucks though. It's supposed to be used in temperatures from 60-95*F. There's not too many of those days in this area now... Gonna try to rig something in my garage so I can put a space heater in there and work on them.

Good updates Corey.
Keep em coming!
Good luck with the wheels.
Thanks man :approve: Hopefully have some updates by Wednesday.

Come on get those rims on the car :)
Hopefully I can have them done soon...

soooo whats next if the ssr's are probably gonnna be gone?
:blush: PM'd you...

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I don't have any valve covers, only the lower runners...I think. lol Glad to help on the wheel project. :p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nice update Corey......

Loving the wheels too, lol, if the wheels are not welded in, how does it hold? I never took apart it myself, but I do have a few sets of wheels here I want to try and refinish it myself :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,095
I don't have any valve covers, only the lower runners...I think. lol Glad to help on the wheel project. :p
:approve:

Nice update Corey......

Loving the wheels too, lol, if the wheels are not welded in, how does it hold? I never took apart it myself, but I do have a few sets of wheels here I want to try and refinish it myself :)
Thanks Chris :approve:

Check this link out:

Wheel Measurements

The videos will provide a better discription than I can lol.

nice job and cleaning up those wheels. can't wait to see them all finished :)
Thanks man. Depending on how things go tomorrow I may try to start stripping the lips.

I've got about 65 bolts cleaned up... Out of 156 :pissed:

I bought sealant the other day. So once the lips are stripped I'll reseal over the welds.

I also think I'm just going to paint the inner barrels for now. I can touch them up if I need to later, it'll be cheaper, and if I do a good job it'll come out great. I still have to strip the lips before I paint them though...

And I bought a set of lower runners. I need another set of valve covers and an intake. Then I'll have to decide what colors to do everything...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,097 (Edited)
Well that was a big fat fail. Looks like you were right, the aircraft paint stripper did NOT work.

I went out and bought Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner and it worked just fine.

Should have just listened to you in the beginning :p

dangitt...back to the drawing board!! anywhoo, great updates buddy!
:( I know...

I'm continuing on with the rebuild though.

Bolts are done. Something like 148 out of 156 of the bolts are "perfect". There are very few spots or imperfections on any of them so I'm pretty happy with them.

DSC_8444 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8446 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Started taking apart my center caps. There are three parts to them: the emblem, the polished ring, and the other piece lol. Right now I'm stuck trying to get the emblem out of the ring... Not really sure how to go about it without damaging the emblem.
DSC_8448 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I gotta find some new bolts for them too but it's not a big rush or anything. I should be able to find them fairly easily.

Since I stripped all the clear coat off the lips they are ready to be polished. I started working on the one with the most curb rash... I've got most of it taken care of but it still needs a lot of work. The other three aren't too bad but I may end up taking all of them to be polished. Schools about to start so I'm not going to have hardly any time. Plus wet sanding when it's 35*F doesn't sound like much fun.

Started sanding the inner barrels. Need to take the wheel weights off and do some more sanding. I'm just going to rattle can them so they can be touched up.

Gotta figure out what I'm doing with the nuts for the back. They are FILTHY. Worse than the bolts were, and I haven't been able to clean them up much at all. I may just see about buying new ones.

I'm leaving the faces and the other part of the center caps for last. That way if I come across a set of used wheels I have to have I can sell these without a buyer being locked into a color :bigSmile:

FINALLY replaced the shaft on my KS shifter. Was definitely frustrating at times, but I got it done and it really didn't take too long.

DSC_8438 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8437 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_8442 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

I think that's about everything for now...

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Wow Corey, you did a fantastic job on the bolts! :approve:
Keep it up dood, you're getting there!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Nice update Corey. Did you notice any signs of cracking on the shifter? I still need to take care of mine.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,100
Nice update Corey. Did you notice any signs of cracking on the shifter? I still need to take care of mine.
I don't see any cracking necessarily, there are some knicks where the shaft looks like it hit something and some scratches. But I can't say for sure if those were there or I did it when I pulled it apart.

I'll grab some pictures of it and email you them later today/tonight so you can see what I mean.

And definitely wedge a flat head in one of the four slits when you go to pull the threaded sleeve off. I tugged and pulled for like 10 minutes, then decided to try loosing it up with a screw driver a little. As soon as I did that it slid right off.

I had more trouble getting the rubber piece over the two pins :lol: That sucked... I just wedged a screw driver under it and a small allen wrench and tried to lift the hole in the rubber over the pin. Eventually I got them off enough to twist it so it wouldn't get caught again and then pulled it off.

1081 - 1100 of 1941 Posts