Registered
5,691 Posts
You like?

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
Thanks guys.

So I'm at a point where I need to do some maintanence and throw in a few upgrades in preparation for boost :)

As of right now, the parts list stands at:

Timing Belt: Part No. 13568-49036
Timing Tentioner: Part No. 13540-46030
Idler: Part No. 13505-46041
T/Stat: Part No. 90916-03093
T/Stat Gasket: Part No. 16325-62010
PCV 5/2001 and up: Part No. 12204-46031
O-Ring Bypass Outlet: Part No. 96761-24028
Serepentine Tensioner: Part No. 16620-0W025
Crankshaft Seal: Part No. 90311-46001
O-Rings Bypass Pipe: Part No. 96761-24022 (Qty=2)
Camshaft Seals: Part No. 90311-40020 (Qty=2)
Coolant: Part No. 00272-1LLAC-01 (Qty=2)*
Drive Belt: Part No. 90916-02412 (Lexus)
Water Pump: Part No. 16100-49876-83 (Lexus)
PCV Grommet: Part No. 90480-18001 (Lexus)

Then I'll also be picking up:

TT Supra Head gasket
ARP Head studs
Koyo or Mizu Radiator
TRD Oil cap
Spark Plugs

I should be ordering the OEM parts in the next week or so. I bought a TRD oil cap five minutes ago. Then I'll be buying the rest of the stuff when I can.

I hardly have any time any more with school, so that's all the updates I have.

I'll be in Tulsa, OK for IFO on Sunday unless something changes between now and then.

If any one has a recommendation for a part (OEM or other wise) let me know. I really wanted to install ARP head studs, TT head gasket, BC 264's, valve springs and retainers, and Titan cam gear while I was doing the timing belt, but I think the combination of lowered compression and the cams would make my car run like shit, if at all. So I'd rather not risk it.

I'll probably wait to do the TT head gasket and head studs until I have turbo stuff together.

Then I'll probably wait until after the car is running and turbo to do cams and stuff. I don't really know yet. I DO know that I want to go turbo, soon. So basically all my resources are going to that goal from now on :lol:

Of course things will come up so it'll take a while, but still. That's where I'm heading now.

BUT if there's something I'm missing that I can go ahead and do while I'm in there I will.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Nice man!
I cannot wait till I can go that route with my car!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,028
Nice man!
I cannot wait till I can go that route with my car!
I know! I'm excited to start getting parts together, but at the same time I know it's going to be a long road before things are installed and I'm finally boosted. BUT it will be worth it.

Ok first off, I am NOT a big car show guy. I never got into it. I can appreciate some cars that are build purely for car shows, but for the most part they aren't that impressive. I'd rather see an extremely well done car being driven. What's the point in building a CAR just to look at it?

Now that's just my personal opinion, so no one here should take offense to it! Maybe the other part of it is that I don't have the unlimited funds or sponsers to build a show car? Either way, I'd rather have a car that I can actually drive and be proud of.

With that being said, I went to Import Face Off in Tulsa, OK this past weekend. I didn't plan on actually entering the show, parked in the grass which ended up being a terrible idea, and then got talked into entering. Two of my friends and I decided to pull our cars in, when my car got stuck :lol:

Long story short, nothing bad happened. My friends pushed me out and we pulled into the main area for the show. I ended up winning Best Luxury, which doesn't really mean much since my car isn't really a "luxury" car, and the BMW there was completely stock lol. But whatever.

I have found some sweet pictures from the show though!

These were taken by Ron in Oklahoma.

My friends and I rolling in.

And a roller by my buddy Evan. He showed up later and took home best Suby!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Very nice Corey!
Enter your car more often man!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
If you wanna run GTE internals you will also need

-New ARP 2000 Rod bolts
-New OEM main bolts
-New GTE piston ring set
-New rod bearings
-New main bearings
-Polish crankshaft
-New GTE Head Gasket
-New valve seal kit
-New Cam seals
-New front/rear main seals
-Oil pick up o-ring
-New OEM oil pickup tube
-New oil pump o-rings
-New oil filter housing o-ring
-Toyota FIPG
-700 grit flex hone to break the cylinder wall glaze
- Coolant
-Oil
-Fuel injector o-rings (this is to prevent boost leak)

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
Very nice Corey!
Enter your car more often man!
Fucking sick pictures. Car is sexy as always.
Thanks guys!

pics stolen to FB. Car looks great Corey.
I saw that! I meant to comment on them but got busy at work...

So what are your power goals with the turbo setup? What turbo you going with?
I'll have a more detailed answered below the next comment, but I'm not sure on the turbo for now. I want a quick spooling setup that will be fun on the street.

To begin with I think I want to run around 300-320rwhp to TRY to get my tranny intact.

If you wanna run GTE internals you will also need

-New ARP 2000 Rod bolts
-New OEM main bolts
-New GTE piston ring set
-New rod bearings
-New main bearings
-Polish crankshaft
-New GTE Head Gasket
-New valve seal kit
-New Cam seals
-New front/rear main seals
-Oil pick up o-ring
-New OEM oil pickup tube
-New oil pump o-rings
-New oil filter housing o-ring
-Toyota FIPG
-700 grit flex hone to break the cylinder wall glaze
- Coolant
-Oil
-Fuel injector o-rings (this is to prevent boost leak)
Thank you for the advice! Although I'm not sure I'm going this route, it will definitely help if I do decide too!

But here is what I've been thinking...

I'm not a baller. I don't have unlimited funds for this build, I will definitely be on a budget. BUT that does not mean I'm going to cut corners or buy cheap parts. It means I'd like to do things in steps and work my way towards my ultimate goal. And obviously each step will take time.

So this is a rough idea for my plan:

Maintenance + a few upgrades. The list of parts is above. I think I'm sticking to that. Going Monday to order all the parts from Toyota. Should be ordering a Lexus only parts October 3rd-ish. The rest will fall in place after.

Then I will piece together a turbo kit. I'll reinforce an ebay exhaust manifold, Tial BOV, Tial wastegate, nice intercooler (NOT ebay), injectors blah blah blah. Specific parts might change, but the plan is the same.

I'm going to have a custom 3" exhaust from turbo to muffler made along with intercooler piping. It'll be more expensive but in my opinion it'll be worth it. The guy does GREAT work. I will most likely take my car along with exhuast manifold, turbo, and intercooler to him BEFORE I actually do the install. That way he can fab everything and then I can drive my car back home. It'll give me time to recoup and save for getting tuned.

Once I have everything together I'll l decide who I am going to have tune it, talk to them and decide on engine management. I'll but that obviously then when I have money for the tune I'll do the install and trailer the car away.

That is the rough plan for now. I'll need lots of other things in there obviously, like gauges, fittings, lines, etc but I'll figure those out when things get closer. I do know I will be doing black fittings and black SS lines.

I have two options for my transimission.

1) buy OEM clutch and parts and install everything new. See how long my tranny will hold up to around 300rwhp so I can save money for a new transmission.

Or 2) go ahead and do a tranny swap. I can be cheaper and do w58 just to hold me over, or do r154. The problem with r154 is I'd rather have a Marlin Crawler rebuilt tranny and that'll push everything else back.

That's why I like option 1). Maybe TRY to take it easy for a while so I can save money for an r154 swap then go that route. Either way, a tranny swap is in my future :p

And that transmission would be "stage 2" in my build. Once that part is done I can raise the boosties and run some more power :bigSmile: I'll probably keep the power under 400rwhp though since my CR will be somewhere around 9.5:1? on stock internals with a TT Supra headgasket? I think that's right. I MIGHT be alright but I'd rather not blow a motor :rolleyes:

"Stage 3" would be to build a block or buy a new GTE shortblock. I will also have a FFIM made somewhere in there :lol: And also do BC cams, some valve springs and retainers, maybe more who knows.

Like I said, that is bascially my plan. A LOT of things are still undecided.

I feel like this is the best plan of attack. I think doing it in stages will eliminate the probability of losing interest with an ongoing build. I've been around here for awhile, and I've seen a lot of guys come and go. Many members here have started big builds and got in too deep, decided to change "this" while "this" is out, might as well do this while I'm there, etc. I don't want a never ending build.

And it's already easy for me to see how guys end up like that. I still feel like I might as well buy cams, valve springs and retainers, and a cam gear while I have the timing belt off. The reason I've decided against that is I don't think my car will run on a stock computer with those items and lowered compression. I could be wrong, but don't tell me so I don't buy them this winter :lol:

But seriously, building a block does me no good because my tranny can't hold the power. Buying a tranny would be good, but I'm no closer to actually being boosted. Doing both at the same time would be ideal, but will take $$$$. So to me the best choice is to do things this way.

NOT TO MENTION I change my mind way too often. So I need to start a path and stick with it. You have no idea how many times I've considered a vvti 1jzgte or a 1uzfe.

Whatever, I'm done rambling :p

I'm open to alternatives for sure, so any advice/recommendations are welcome. Or you're free to call me an idiot for approaching things in this order :lol:

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
^long post but sounds like youre headed in the right direction. the ECU is very important, keep that in mind. also stay away from Mitzu radiator. Koyo is what you want.

car looks great. if we were still doing a calender i would suggest your pics.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
damn Corey, car is lookin good. i like your plans.

in the same boat as you for the tranny. im keeping a close eye on that ar5 swap...might end up trying it if no one gets it done by next summer.

otherwise for now imma replace all my stock clutch parts and hope it holds. besides the ar5 the only other swap i considered was the v161....i need a money tree.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
^long post but sounds like youre headed in the right direction. the ECU is very important, keep that in mind. also stay away from Mitzu radiator. Koyo is what you want.

car looks great. if we were still doing a calender i would suggest your pics.
Thanks Ray.

I've seen first hand how important a good ECU as well as a good tuner is, so I'm basically leaving that up to whoever I decide to take the car to.

Still unsure on the radiator... I know Koyo's are supposed to be perfect and have no issues, but the Mizu has a liftime warranty from Token Solutions. We'll see what I end up doing... I thought the price difference was much greater than it actually is.

damn Corey, car is lookin good. i like your plans.

in the same boat as you for the tranny. im keeping a close eye on that ar5 swap...might end up trying it if no one gets it done by next summer.

otherwise for now imma replace all my stock clutch parts and hope it holds. besides the ar5 the only other swap i considered was the v161....i need a money tree.
Thanks man. If you find a money tree send part of it to me!

I would LOVE a v161... But yeah AR5 or a Marlin Crawler rebuilt R154 are what I'm shooting for when I end up doing a swap. I need to talk to Eminence... At one point I think he had adapters made to run a shifter from a w55 on an R154. I definitely need that with my KS shifter.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Really can't wait to see your car boosted man. Gonna be redonk.

Good choice of parts so far that you've chosen. I'm going for something VERY similar too actually ;)

For ECU's I would consider the ProEFI 128 if you have ched or the GReddy Emanage or the ProEFI 48

BTW, where can you get SS lines for the return and oil feed lines? (fittings also?)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Corey,
Sounds like your on the right path. I dont really have any recommendations to give you that the other guys havent already stated. For engine management I would look into the ProEFI 48 or an AEM. I would have went with the ProEFI if it had the support backing that it has now when I ordered my AEM. ProEFI was just entering the market and I was hesitant because I wasnt quite sure if it was going to make it. Jason (ProEFI developer) is a great dude and I had talked to him back when I was doing my GTE swap. I think you have a great strategy with going with whatever engine management that your tuner is capable of.

Ill knock on wood before I say this, but I havent had 1 issue with my reinforced ebay manifold. It was reinforced by a member off the supraforums before he sold it to me. Has support my Comp 67 and soon to be a precision 6766 without an issue. Unless you go with a massive turbo I doubt you will have an issue. Looks like your headed on the right track! Good luck!

1021 - 1040 of 1931 Posts