Lexus IS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Nice. Why you don't drive around like that? lol j/k.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Going to look nice man!

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
Rey, that photoshop is awesome. Thank you!

And good luck installing all the OEM parts you bought. Hopefully everything goes smooth!

Oh, and I have a weird clunking coming from the front of my car now... I have no idea what it is. I rotated my tires and checked to make sure things were tight, tried getting it to make the sound by turning the wheel with the front end in the air, loosened my sway bar brackets so the bushing wasn't binding, and nothing helped. It's either my endlinks, upper A arms, or front shocks. At least that's what I think. I didn't notice any visible leaks anywhere so I cleaned things up and will check in a few days.

I know it's not my A arms smacking the shock towers. Because it does it over little bumps. But it happens more over abrupt dips. Going on a smooth drop doesn't make any noise. And it clunks when I turn. Which makes me think endlinks since the weight is transfered across the endlinks/sway bar?

That kinda makes sense to me... :lol: Have you heard anything from Mike about the front end link brackets?

Nice. Why you don't drive around like that? lol j/k.
It wouldn't bother me so much if the side skirts weren't yellow. But nahhh I'll keep things in the garage until they are painted any looking good :approve:

Although, I did consider having my grill painted yellow and my rear lip done in yellow to tie it all together :lol: maybe I should go that route to change things up? :lol:

Going to look nice man!
Nice man, very sleek
Thanks guys. I can't wait!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Rey, that photoshop is awesome. Thank you!

And good luck installing all the OEM parts you bought. Hopefully everything goes smooth!

Oh, and I have a weird clunking coming from the front of my car now... I have no idea what it is. I rotated my tires and checked to make sure things were tight, tried getting it to make the sound by turning the wheel with the front end in the air, loosened my sway bar brackets so the bushing wasn't binding, and nothing helped. It's either my endlinks, upper A arms, or front shocks. At least that's what I think. I didn't notice any visible leaks anywhere so I cleaned things up and will check in a few days.

I know it's not my A arms smacking the shock towers. Because it does it over little bumps. But it happens more over abrupt dips. Going on a smooth drop doesn't make any noise. And it clunks when I turn. Which makes me think endlinks since the weight is transfered across the endlinks/sway bar?

That kinda makes sense to me... :lol: Have you heard anything from Mike about the front end link brackets?
Thanks Corey. If all goes as planned, I'll have another DIY to share in the not too distant future.

Have you tried to isolate the problem to the endlinks by unbolting them from the sway bar? Do your lower ball joints on the No.1 LCA have any play? Take a look at the top nut by the dampening adjuster , and make sure it's still tight. I think the rear lower shock bushings take more of a beating, but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the fronts. I hate clunking issues! They are so damned annoying and a PITA to find.

Man my head gonna esplode soon with all the stuff going on.
When are you going to put your little helper to work :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Coming together good corey.. ima be on my way to the body shop in a couple of hours. My car is finally after a year of driving with a smashed and rusted fender and beat up front bumper going to get painted. Cant wait to see your car done man!! :approve:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #808
Still have not gotten to the sway reloc bracket. Man my head gonna esplode soon with all the stuff going on. Car is looking good Corey.
Thanks Mike :approve:

I know you're busy though! You've got a ton of parts in progress right now lol. You know I'll be buying some when I can!

Thanks Corey. If all goes as planned, I'll have another DIY to share in the not too distant future.

Have you tried to isolate the problem to the endlinks by unbolting them from the sway bar? Do your lower ball joints on the No.1 LCA have any play? Take a look at the top nut by the dampening adjuster , and make sure it's still tight. I think the rear lower shock bushings take more of a beating, but it wouldn't hurt to inspect the fronts. I hate clunking issues! They are so damned annoying and a PITA to find.
I really wish I would have seen this post earlier today... I was under my car checking things and didn't even think to unbolt the endlink and see if that changed anything.

I THINK it's my endlink on the passenger side though. That's where the noise is coming from. Both ball joints on it have a lot of play, but I don't know how much there is supposed to be. The top one looked/felt like there wasn't much grease in the boot. The bottom one had fresh grease leaked out on it and the arm it attachs too. When I twisted it in the middle it felt smooth, but would clunk when it rotated all the way. So I guess the next step will be to unbolt it and drive around.

Looks like I'll be checking things out again tomorrow :lol:

Coming together good corey.. ima be on my way to the body shop in a couple of hours. My car is finally after a year of driving with a smashed and rusted fender and beat up front bumper going to get painted. Cant wait to see your car done man!! :approve:
Your car is gonna be done before mine! lol oh well I'll get everything together soon enough.

I can't wait to see your car back together though!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a great progress thread!!! I wish I documented my car's progression in such detail. Keep it up.

Oh and appreciate the table of contents, really organizes the thread for me.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #811
From what I've been reading, the ball joints are supposed to have almost no play. I've read some posts saying to replace them if you have more than 1mm of play. Don't end up like this guy: http://my.is/forums/f89/lower-ball-joint-broke-424591/
Rey I meant the ball joints on my endlinks. They are ball joints right?

The lower one (that mounts but the strut on the LCA) is leaking grease every where on the passenger side. The driver side isn't near as bad, but there is a little leaking there.

But I'm about 99% sure that's it now. I unbolted the sway bar brackets and let the sway bar hang. Drove around my neighborhood (slowly, it's more of a constant clunk so no need to push things), and I had no clunking with the sway bar unbolted. Jacked the car back up, put everything back together, went for another drive. I didn't even make it out of my driveway and it was clunking.

So it looks like Figs adjustable end links are added to my list :lol: I'm not sure if I should go ahead and pick them up, or deal with the clunking... Although the ball joint could break like that guys lower ball joint did.

Ugh... It's been so nice the past couple of days :pissed: It's 63* right now. But Monday and Tuesday we are supposed to get more snow/ice. It's too hard to get motivated to work on the car when it's cold lol.

This is a great progress thread!!! I wish I documented my car's progression in such detail. Keep it up.

Oh and appreciate the table of contents, really organizes the thread for me.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #814
looking good man. white IS3's are sick!
Thanks!

hey are u selling your wheels ??????????
I was... But they sold back in November? So I no longer have them. Sorry!

No updates yet... We got about 20" or so inches of snow here last week so my car hasn't left the garage since :lol: We're supposed to get another 5" I think tomorrow/Wednesday so that's gonna be fun. School was cancelled Tuesday - Friday for me, and some places were out today, and even tomorrow! Crazy...

BUT I did place an order on Friday, should be here Wednesday unless the delivery is delayed because of snow. So I'll have a small update then.

And tomorrow will be 4 weeks wait for me wheels :bigSmile: Really hoping they get to customs tomorrow! (I was told 4-6 weeks).

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I'm glad you figured out the problem. Definitely get Figs endlinks. Not only are they adjustable, but they are a lot easier to install/remove since you don't need an allen wrench.

My OEM parts are finally going to ship tomorrow. Now I have to find some time to install them.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
I'm glad you figured out the problem. Definitely get Figs endlinks. Not only are they adjustable, but they are a lot easier to install/remove since you don't need an allen wrench.

My OEM parts are finally going to ship tomorrow. Now I have to find some time to install them.
Thanks Rey :approve: Hopefully you don't have any issues installing your new parts! Oh, and at least you've got decent weather and no snow! lol I honestly haven't even seen my car since LAST Monday...

Figs will definitely be getting an order for front endlinks from me sometime. I'm hoping to get them and some toe links at the same time, but we'll see how my funds are.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to cut the front endlinks off :lol: I'm pretty sure at least one of allen slots is stripped. But I'll deal with that when I get some new ones!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Today was in the 80's. Time to turn on the AC :p

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
Today was in the 80's. Time to turn on the AC :p
:pissed:

Got another 5" of snow today... Even better news is it delayed my delivery! Hopefully it comes tomorrow though.

But we are looking at temps in the 40's next week, creeping closer to 50* at the end of the week!

It's sad that that is the most exciting news I have... I need another job :lol:

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #819 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
It looks good Corey.

801 - 820 of 1931 Posts