Lexus IS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #721 (Edited)
Well this was unexpected. I bought a JDM Altezza Grill off eBay last week. Got a tracking number that showed it shipped from Japan on 11/26.

I picked it up from the post office TODAY. WTF?? Why can't shipping be that fast all the time?
Oh, and other than it being a little dirty, it is in GREAT condition. No broken tabs, OEM fitment, not even a rock chip!

DSC_4833 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4834 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

Now I just need to decide what to do with it... I'm not sure I like the Altezza emblem. It's red which doesn't go with anything on my car and I have Lexus L IS 300 on the rear. I don't like the idea of "Altezza" on the back so I've either got to live with it or take it off.

Does the Altezza emblem come off though? It doesn't look like it to me. I'm gonna check again when I get a chance...

DSC_4839 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4838 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4837 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

DSC_4836 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

As for the rest of my "to do" list:

Change oil. CHECK.
Install Figs Hood Prop Kit. CHECK.
Take SSR's off. CHECK.
Check rear suspension pieces. CHECK.
Stock rear wheels back on. CHECK.
Get stupid broken bolt out of my engine bay.
Regrease front sway bar. CHECK.
Check front suspension. CHECK.
Stock front wheels back on. CHECK.
Take front bumper off. CHECK.
Go get alignment! CHECK.

Still need to get the broken bolt out... I've just been lazy. Oh well...

Let me know what you guys think I should do with the emblem situation!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I don't know if the emblem comes off. IIRC, the mesh is held in by screws/clips. I'm sure you could find some new mesh that matches the Altezza/TRD mesh, and replace. I would take the emblem off your other grill, and put it on the new one.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
Yeah the mesh comes out so I can replace it with new mesh, swap mesh + emblems from each grill, or see if I can get the emblem off without tearing it up.

I'm really happy with the fitment of this grill though. I need to wash my car but it looks like the paint is a decent match? :lol: we'll see once everything is clean though.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Yes the emblem comes off but there will be a rectangular piece left there. It would be blank and look odd IMO. It has some circle clips at the back and it is held on with double sided tape.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
You could see what i'm talking about here.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
leave it...I love mine. :p

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If you leave it, people will ask if that emblem means that you put on some aftermarket Altezza lights :lol:

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
If you leave it, people will ask if that emblem means that you put on some aftermarket Altezza lights :lol:
So you don't like my car? :(

:bigSmile:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Doesn't look bad, but I agree...just swap the mesh from your other grill.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #733 (Edited)
I love the car, but I don't know about those Altezza tail lights haha.
:lol:

Doesn't look bad, but I agree...just swap the mesh from your other grill.
Yup, that's pretty much the consensus even from my friends. I was going to mess with it today but the temp is 38* and feels like 28* :lol:

I realized I never posted a picture after the hood prop install... Not the best but it gets the point across.

DSC_4601 by Corey Wattelet, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Well I went to swap mesh from each grill today...

L-Sportline is bigger than the TRD, but I would have been able to cut the mesh to fit fine.

BUT since the TRD mesh is SMALLER, it didn't fit in the L-Sportline frame. So I'm just selling the L-Sportline, keeping my L emblem, and I'll either have to buy some different mesh at some point or try to dremel/cut the backing plate from the mesh...

I'm probably not going to mess with it anymore this winter though. It's not even 40* today :(

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
If you want. You could flip the mesh.

I did that and it turned out alright.

I just coloured in the back of the altezza badging with some black touch up paint.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Hmm... Do you have a straight on shot? Maybe a little closer? Or could you get one?
I thought about doing something like that but I think I'd still like to try to cut it out.

But then again I don't really want to hack up my perfectly fitting OEM mesh...
Ill try to get you one. I couldnt find one.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
721 - 740 of 1941 Posts