Lexus IS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 1927 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
oh I'm no stranger to the mod game :) just like to put my own touch on my vehicles. besides, already started lol
Well then you already know :lol:

car is lookin good corey. another karl-sport owner....makes me not wanna give up the w55 when i get it boosted. haha
Thanks! Yeah the whole reason I didn't get one in the first group buy is because I plan on having a different transmission eventually. But that is getting pushed farther and farther back so I thought I might as well enjoy the w55 while I can.

Plus I can try to make an adapter like Eminence (I think) did to use w55 shifters on r154's if I need to!

Cant wait to see what you in store corey.
Thanks Tom :approve:
And sorry about your accident man :blush: Your car will get finished up eventually lol.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Say it ain't so. Selling the MS1s :(
Still not sure unfortunately. I need new tires, and I'd love to get "better" (wider) fitment but I've got too much going on right now lol so I can't really afford another set of MS1's in the sizes I'd like.

And I feel like I'm changing everything else up so why not change wheels?

There's a local guy selling CE28N's in 18x8.5 +30 and 18x9.5 +34 for cheap. But I'd really prefer them being more concave. So I'm not sold on them.

There's another set I like with good fitment. I just don't know if I can part with my MS1's yet. We'll see though :approve:

Thanks dude, getting rid of my jdm bumper hit me up if your interested.
Ugh. I'll PM you dangit :lol:

New pictures will be up tonight or tomorrow night. My car is naked!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. It's a two stage powder coat with a silver base lol. I don't remember the name of the purple though. I can find out the name tomorrow if you'd like.

BUT it won't really matter since not all powder coat places are going to use the same powder or base.

My front and rears were done with a different base. Fronts were just a plain silver I think, and the rears were done with a pearl silver so they actually have some sparkle/pearl to them.
k thanks. for the info.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #687 (Edited)
Looks awesome Corey, really admire your work! I think you've inspired me to start a little build thread myself lol.
You definitely should! Makes it a lot easier to keep track of your progress.

k thanks. for the info.
No problem. I asked my friend that works there what the name was and he just said it was a candy purple lol. So that's not really much help.

EDIT: Buying a new ball joint for my RCA as we speak. Along with Figs rear endlinks :approve:

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder what the new look will be :p

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Hmmm, I wonder what the new look will be :p
Welp. It'll consist of a new front bumper, new side skirts, new rear bumper, and new grill! Possibly new wheels too. Still trying to decide that part. ;)

New front bumper is bought.
I've got a couple people lined up for a rear bumper.
Side skirts are lined up.
New grill shouldn't be too hard to get. Watching a couple on eBay now.

I need my lip kit to sell so I can buy the rear bumper and grill!
And my wheels!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
My lip kit is up for sale, so I took it off.

And then...

One of the bolts that goes through my RCA snapped off in the spindle. My fault, I most likely didn't get it torqued tight enough considering Mike said he thought it needed to be tightened to 180ft/lbs. I'm assuming it backed out little by little and finally snapped last night.

Luckily it happened in my driveway, so it's no big deal. Obviously could have been worse but there is no one to blame but me. I did the install and didn't get it tight enough. There was no manufacturer defect or anything like that.

As of now, my car is sitting in the driveway like the picture lol. I've pulled the spindle out and am gonna take it around town tomorrow to hopefully get the broken piece taken out.

If not, I'll be buying a new one. Although I'll most likely pick up a used one since they are about $200 cheaper.

Anyway, I should get my rear end links and new ball joint tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Damn Corey, that sucks, but I'm glad that it didn't lead to anything life-threatening.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Damn Corey, that sucks, but I'm glad that it didn't lead to anything life-threatening.
I know. I was actually really lucky.

BUT I want to be clear that this has nothing to do with build quality or anything related to the parts coming from Mike (Figs).

After looking at the spindle once we got the broken piece out, I think it was a combination of corroded, dirt filled, rust lined threads. I believe that the bolt didn't get fully tightened and worked it's way out until it got snagged on some crap in the threads and then eventually failed.

So it's my fault for not taking necessary steps to make sure the bolt got fully torqued. Luckily no more damage was done (to me or the car or anyone else for that matter) and I'm able to learn from it and move on.

I do want to say that Mike has been extremely helpful with everything. I've sent him pictures and he gave me advice on how to get the piece out and even offered to send me tools if I didn't have them.

I took the spindle to my friend who works at Nissan earlier. Got there and he asked me to run to his bank and get some cash for him so I literally ran across the street to the ATM. By the time I got back he already had it out :lol: He said there was an edge to it so he hit it with a chisel a few times and got it a couple mm's out before it got caught up. Then he took a left handed titanium drill bit and drilled about 3mm into and it popped out.

Unforuntaly none of the places around town have a bolt that I can use temporarily until I get new ones from Mike. But that's ok since I didn't really want to risk it lol.

Agreed.

The car looks good without the kit too... actually, just looks like mine. :approve:
lol I know! We are essentially twins now.

Are those the stock rear calipers?
Yes those are stock calipers. I took them apart, had them sand blasted and powder coated, rebuilt them, and then put the back together.

Annnd in other news, I got my new ball joint and rear end links today. Woot!

Probably gonna grab some paint and paint the end links later today. We'll see. They look awesome though!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
I painted my end links. I just used an engine enamel and got a random color. It was the same price as black so why not? Everything is already mis-matched under there :lol: I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow.

I got my bolts from Mike on Thursday! Made sure everything was good to go and got my car back together. Went for a test drive and everything was great. Got home and went back over the bolts and then checked them again the next morning :approve:

Friday I pulled my driver side RCA off. I tore the boot right after I installed them initally and was having a loud clunk from that side whenever I turned my wheel. I'm not sure if it was because there wasn't enough grease inside since all of it leaked out or if the ball joint went bad because of that. Either way I tried regreasing them once and the clunking came back the next day. I ordered a new ball joint and boot from Mike a while back. I had the new ball joint pressed in and installed the new boot. Put everything back together and have zero issues now. I also checked those bolts three times after putting things back together :lol:

Saturday I went looking for a place for pictures. Didn't really find anything but I took some anyway.

Winter is coming soon, although I don't know how much bad weather we'll get here...

Either way I think my SSR's are coming off next week. Big changes coming over the winter. I'm both excited and nervous so we'll see how it ends up. I've got a few things on the way and a few more parts lined up. Just need to sell my stuff first and save some big green moniesss :lol:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Damn Corey... Your car looks good even without the lip kit. Glad to see you got it up and running again.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Glad to see you are back on track dood.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Nice pics Corey! Looking forward to seeing what you got planned for this winter!

Cheers bro

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Nice pics Corey. I need a full suspension overhaul..lol

681 - 700 of 1927 Posts