Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just recently noticed while listening to a CD that there is a fair bit of white noise coming from the stock speakers when the volume is at about the 8oclock position. This disappears when the volume is turned down to the 6-7 position.

Is this normal? I never noticed this before I had my amp put in, and was wondering if this could have caused it. Also, i have the stock HU too.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
white noise, i am guessing, is 'interference'... maybe even a current whine from the wiring of the new amp.

research a noise filter thing (for lack of a better term) :) wiring one of those in may very well fix your whine.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CharlieD06 said:
In that case, turn off the Dolby thing for tape.

EDIT: Ur using CD
At first I thought it was tape as well because the sound is similar to when you have a blank tape playing in the cassette

·
8,849 Posts
The noise you are describing is probably normal.
Is your aftermarket amp driving the speakers or subs? How is it interfaced, using LLC or AUX RCA Output MOD?

I have no way of checking how OEM system is as I no longer have OEM components (short of front speakers) in my car.

P.S.
Did you try this on different CDs?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vlad_a said:
The noise you are describing is probably normal.
Is your aftermarket amp driving the speakers or subs? How is it interfaced, using LLC or AUX RCA Output MOD?

I have no way of checking how OEM system is as I no longer have OEM components (short of front speakers) in my car.

P.S.
Did you try this on different CDs?
The aftermakret amo is only being used to drive the sub, using LLCs from the rears
I did try on different CDs and still the same result

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
In this case, I would have to say it is normal. :chill:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i dont see how adding an amp downstream from the HU could affect the noise from the front speakers. The only direct connection to the HU is the power on cable

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The stock amp gives out "white noise" and it is normal. Since you have LLCs connected to the ouput of the stock amp and then into your aftermarket amp, you will retain this white noise. You aftermarket amp might be amplifying this noise more than before so that's why you notice it now and not before. I can hear the "white noise" from the stock amp if I listen carefully.

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
He is driving subs with his aftermarket amp. They will not reproduce white noisie as it is out of their frequency range. Using LLCs will not produce white noise on the speakers they are tapped in.

·
Registered
965 Posts
White noise sounds like an FM tuner tuned in to a frequency that has no radio signal. It has equal loudness across the whole audiable frequency spectrum.

It is similar to Pink noise. PN is used with an RTA to adjust a sytem to sound flatter.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
vlad_a said:
^^^^
He is driving subs with his aftermarket amp. They will not reproduce white noisie as it is out of their frequency range. Using LLCs will not produce white noise on the speakers they are tapped in.
Have you measured the frequency of "white noise" or something? How do you know it's out of the frequency range? And as stated by Peter_Klim, it's probably across all frequencies.

But hey, it was just a guess, for all I know, the noise was always there but the original poster only heard it after he installed his amp because he was trying to listen for SQ improvement.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I only noticed it when I was sitting in my car testing out the system. It is not noticeable when driving or when the engine is on.

·
8,849 Posts
drinkmalk said:
vlad_a said:
^^^^
Have you measured the frequency of "white noise" or something? How do you know it's out of the frequency range? And as stated by Peter_Klim, it's probably across all frequencies.

But hey, it was just a guess, for all I know, the noise was always there but the original poster only heard it after he installed his amp because he was trying to listen for SQ improvement.
No, I have no way of measuring the noise generated on this particular system, for obvious reasons.
You are right, if it is the "White Noise", then it would be all over the frequency range. However, it may only sound like it, as the generated noise in question was not put there by design on purpose to be the "White Noise", so it may only sound like it to our ears.
I just don't see it falling into the low frequency range. If that happened, you should be able to feel/hear/see sub movement.

At any rate, the sub system is not at fault in this case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts