Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys & Gals,

Just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking around for sometime now learning
all I can about my car and the different things I can do (outside of NOS, Turbo
sounds appealing for Go Fast).

I appreciate all that you guys have contributed to this forum for us new guys to dissect.
Here are some pix that I've taken of my cheap mods before I decide to put a "Drop in the Bucket".
:grin:

First day Purchase

Second Mod
Black Wheels (Matt Plasti-Dip)

Third Mod
(Ugly Rusted Brake Calipers & Door Handles)

I purchased Pioneer Double Din

Knock on wood, no oil leaks, has good response when laying into the throttle with strong power.
Oil is clean without any flake and the radiator fluid is clean as well. I really enjoy driving
this car and look forward to the different things I can do.

Little background about me, I am a previous owner of a 2005 Blk on Blk Pontiac GTO 6 Speed
that was a lot of fun to own and drive.

Thank you in advance for all the warm welcomes.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Congrats on your IS and welcome to the forums. The body and paint on your car looks like its in great condition. The "cheap" mods look good. I especially like the black door handles, i think our door handles have a great shape. Of course make sure your maintenance is all up to date. Search the 60k 90k DIY service threads here. Goodluck

·
Registered
723 Posts
New Member Introduction

Looks good, the body and paint looks mint. I would suggest replacing the front bumper orange side markers to clear or even sprayed black to go along with the color scheme. Orange always looks out of place lol. Some darker tailights would match nice like a set of the "dark chrome" version tails or if you are ballsy enough to open and spray the inside chrome housing to black, i think it would really finish off the rear end of the car. A shorter antenna would look nice too..i know the brand Pilot makes one. This is all just IMO. Regardless i think it looks clean. Oh is it just me or is the trunk center Lexus emblem a little crooked lol maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good, the body and paint looks mint. I would suggest replacing the front bumper orange side markers to clear or even sprayed black to go along with the color scheme. Orange always looks out of place lol. Some darker tailights would match nice like a set of the "dark chrome" version tails or if you are ballsy enough to open and spray the inside chrome housing to black, i think it would really finish off the rear end of the car. A shorter antenna would look nice too..i know the brand Pilot makes one. This is all just IMO. Regardless i think it looks clean. Oh is it just me or is the trunk center Lexus emblem a little crooked lol maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.
Great feedback, thank you very much (not being sarcastic).
Honestly I really didn't know what else to do after that. I have looked at a couple threads on how to heat up the headlight glue to open it and paint it. I also want the halos... and the DLR HID's @ 80k for $40.. Sometimes I like the DLR sometimes i don't and wish i could switch between the two options, also being able to have the fog's only on too (yes i saw that thread).

The side markers are another good suggesting, I think i'll get clear and leave the rear red to match the caliper. I bought that antenna from eBay and I like the look of it (had the long skinny stock one before). and yes.. . embarrassingly it is crooked. My daughter was with me when I dipped the emblems and she wanted to put it on so I let her and that's the outcome, a little crooked but it has sentimental value so i just left it.
;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
New Member Introduction

No problem
I was never brave enough to heat up my OEM head/taillights and risk having issues with water leaking or condensation. But those who have done it make them look great.

For the DRL (daytime running lights) not DLR lol I replaced the oem bulbs with Nokya 2700 55watt Hyper Yellow bulbs for $15.99. Cool thing about these bulbs is that they reflect a yellow color in the headlight housing when they are not on and it matches the yellow in the foglight projectors. When they run as DRL they give off a low wattage yellow and as highbeams they are insanely bright. I prefer to have my headlights clear during the day so i disconnected the DRL sensor, which is under the hood passanger side. I really only use the yellow highbeams when someone cuts me off an i want to blind them.

Keep the red rear side markers for sure but the clear fronts would make it look alot cleaner.

I always thought this picwas funny how she is displaying the side markers lmao

Your antenna is def better then stock lol looks good

Thats actually awesome that your daughter slapped on the emblem lol gotta respect it

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
FYI, don't heat up your taillight lenses. They're plastic welded. You have to cut them open with a dremel or similar tool, then reseal.

I bought the same marker lenses and painted them black inside. The bulb looked terrible so I painted the stock ones instead :lol:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if I could get away with painting the side marker completely here in CA. With CHP and other cops very anal out here I don't want to give them any excuse to mess with me. I appreciate the heads up on the taillight dismantle, I would of been baking my taillights like a cake in the oven without reward... (Cake & eat-it-too line). lol

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
what happened to your pics in the first post?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what happened to your pics in the first post?
I think I used a 3rd party image hosting site, that has since recycled my pic url's. I'll have to re-host them with Photobucket. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
:(

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put this on today to see how it fits. I've been researching how to paint-match and I figured since my car was re-painted without the pearl I'd look into what Macco charges and have it painted correctly.
The side skirts haven't come yet and it got too dark before I could mount the rear on. I'm happy for now. :)

Then I have another job once my oil change is due (see picture above). I purchased a relocation kit for the oil filter. I figure over time it will pay for itself than paying to have the oil changes done.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Good stuff!

FYI, MMSport is the place to talk to for painted tail lights and headlights. They do great work. Nick has been part of the IS community for many years now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Painted and Mounted the front Lip

Garage Overview, Painting the Side Skirts and Rear Lip

Rear Trunk with Emblems

Rear Lip, Bottom Exhaust area

She's naked.. :(

Again Emblems being painted (Black + Clear)

Side Skirts

Her first bath

Tuck'd her in to sleep after a long day.

More Pix to come...

1 - 20 of 189 Posts