Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been signed up for a little while now but I haven't really had a reason to post yet. I have a 2003 silver IS300 that I bought a few months ago - I'm very happy with it so far! The only problem is that when I reach speeds in excess of 75 mph, there is a very loud whistling sound that comes from the air vents in the center of the front dash.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've tried turning off the A/C while driving and messing with the settings a bit, but it still continues. Would this issue be covered under the warranty through Lexus?

I tried searching and did find that other people have had, at the very least, similar problems ... but nothing too concrete. Any help is highly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Patience my son... I'm sure somebody will have a response.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hmm... tough one. From what I know of in terms of sound eminating throughout cockpit is the normal sounds we all hear and have with our IS!

I have a few questions, did you remove your center console or was removed by some other. The only reason I ask is because when you remove the center vent dash piece. You see the vent tubes that travel down behind the console. But if you look inside there is a screen mesh to prevent anything from falling into the vent and heater core.

If you have removed the dash then what i would is go back and make sure there is no object in the way.

I would also do a test with the vent piece off and see if you hear the sound with it off. If not then I would tackle the vent covers themself that are on the dash piece!

Let us know how it goes and we look forward to the outcome.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine definitely doesn't make any noises like that--so if it's under warranty, take it to the dealer and let them check it out...can't hurt ;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Are you certain it's not a leak in the front windshield. If the gasket is losing adhesion at any point around the windshield, it can throw whistling noises anywhere onto the front dash. It happened on mine b/c the windshield was replaced and they needed to re-do the gasket. After it was re-done, problem solved :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts