Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm a proud owner of an 02 IS300 E-shift. It just turned 90K, but about 5K miles ago, i came out on a cold morning, turn the car on and a whining noise started-and has NEVER gone away. I should say it makes the noise in park, neutral and all gears. If in park, and i rev, the whine gets louder. When driving, only really hear it in 1 and 2. I have a long driveway, and tend to back in-and in Reverse/while reversing-the noise is significant. I brought it to my mechanic, who is normally spot on-but he didnt really diagnose anything. He suggested a "front pump" in the transmission, however, i cant find ANYTHING on the internet about this. Obviously anything transmission related is going to be costly. Could it be a pulley, belt, accessory? It sounds like i have a blower, its a loud whine/hum...Im freakin out a bit, and was hoping to get some ideas. Im not a moron when it comes to cars, i understand them, but dont have the DIY know-how or experience to diagnose/repair. I've searched the site, numerous times hoping to come across something, but have come up empty...I'd appreciate any insight, the spring is here, and I need to get it together...Ive had some bad luck with this car, but love it and plan on keeping it a long time.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2002 IS300 E-Shift
Absolutely Red w/ TCSportline CF hood
Cystal Black Headlight Housings
Injen Short Ram
Mishimoto Alum Radiator/Tranny Cooler
XXR 507 W Series Wheels-Gloss Black/Red Inserts
35% Tint (keepin' it legal in Massachusetts-don't need the hassle)
Alpine Head Unit/M500 Amp, Xplod 12's(I know...) Custom Built Enclosure
Debadged Exterior (orig badges used on the sub box, and interior)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea man, im pretty sure its not the PS pump or anything, im thinking (hopefully) a belt/accessory pulley or the something w the transmission. ps fluid level is fine, doesnt really increase in sound when turning the wheel. just a little frustrated with the whole thing...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the insight guys...i think you may be right Adankid...its been raining like crazy here, so ima try and check it out tomorrow, supposed to have some good weather the rest of the week...that would be good news...im about 99% sure its not the PS Pump, Waterpump, which are both new. The alternator was just tested when i replaced my battery...but it certainly could be the belt-ill keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
thanks for the insight guys...i think you may be right Adankid...its been raining like crazy here, so ima try and check it out tomorrow, supposed to have some good weather the rest of the week...that would be good news...im about 99% sure its not the PS Pump, Waterpump, which are both new. The alternator was just tested when i replaced my battery...but it certainly could be the belt-ill keep you posted!
one quick way to see if it's the belt without taking it off....

spray some wd40 on the belt, on the side that runs on pulleys, if the sound goes away, then for sure its the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man, ill try for sure...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.