Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of purchasing either a 2003 IS 300 5spd with a factory LSD and 175k miles for $6500 or, a 2001 automatic with no LSD and 82,000 miles for $5400. I'm embarrassed to say that I never knew of the potential of these cars until fairly recently. My intention would be to daily drive it and eventually install a turbo kit. So with that in mind, which would you choose?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm a stickshift guy, so I would buy the manual. If you kinda don't care, you should buy the nicer car - which is likely the auto.

By the way, the 2001 models had unique wiring system, which is different than the 2002-2005 models.

Also, the 2001 dashboard doesn't have the rubbery coating that deteriorates in the sun like the 2002+ models do. The '01 dash is desireable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you’re going to boost it I guess go for the 01. Also the 01 has a wiring harness similar to I believe jzx100-110 which had 1jz in them with an 01 you can swap a 1jz in with only changing 4 connectors and you can basically run I believe 8 pounds of boost on the stock ecu. I’ve seen people do this on 01s all the time and it’s crazy to see how easy it is. I personally have an 02 manual is and I love it Na power is really good on these cars. You can also swap a 1j but you’d have to change whole body harness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts