Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
w55 about 350, w58 round 550-600 they start acing funny, r154 700. but you have to take it in effect that all these tranny's are old and warn out...

·
Registered
253 Posts
w55 about 350, w58 round 550-600 they start acing funny, r154 700. but you have to take it in effect that all these tranny's are old and warn out...
Maybe I just envision different usage, but for real reliability where you can reasonably trust the trans not to crap out, I think these figures are too high. I think the W55 is more like 300, the W58 ~400 (mine broke @ 450, not being abused), and the R154 ~550.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So would my auto trans on my 2jzge fit right in the 1jzgte or 2jzgte if it will I’ll just find a motor and then do a manual swap some other time

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Unless he's captain spoon feed me in which case he can keep asking.

In short, this car is 18 years old....you are probably younger. Everything that can be done HAS been done already. It's just a matter of doing research. Carry on :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It's fine, just search around. These things are more complicated than just buy this buy that and put it in the car. There's a lot of small details that are documented throughout other peoples builds in the forum. Look at the top right of the webpage and use the search function, read, and then come back with more specific Q's. Good luck man!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m going to get a 2jzgte from eBay as I can’t find any cheaper any where else the one I found on there was around 2400 that was the motor with the auto trans already attached and it comes with the ecu and maf as well I’m not exactly sure what else I need to make this work besides the tubing and intercooler but I did try to look I up and couldn’t find anything

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe I just envision different usage, but for real reliability where you can reasonably trust the trans not to crap out, I think these figures are too high. I think the W55 is more like 300, the W58 ~400 (mine broke @ 450, not being abused), and the R154 ~550.
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I’m curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider. I’m new here and I’m trying to read and research before posting too many questions. I’m starting to collect parts now, IS300 wagon manual swap if anyone can direct me to any existing posts? Good to be here, great info thanks all!

·
Registered
478 Posts
The w55 and w58 have historically been regarded as fairly weak. If you’re doing the effort of manual swapping, then spend a bit more for an AR5, R154, CD009, or T56. For your power goal I’d stay with the 5 speeds because the 6 speed swap snowballs into also a diff swap to get the rpms back right.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I’m curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider. I’m new here and I’m trying to read and research before posting too many questions. I’m starting to collect parts now, IS300 wagon manual swap if anyone can direct me to any existing posts? Good to be here, great info thanks all!
That'll go a long ways for you.

Here's something to start with https://www.my.is/forums/f114/r154-ultimate-auto-manual-swap-info-thread-379074/

Edit: Agreed with the post above. I wouldn't do any W series transmission for a high-er power build. Even an AR5 I would think about. It is what I have right now but I just run a stock gte and won't increase power too much. From reading around it doesn't seem it's been tested all that much (except for that ONE guy with a 2jz solstice). Most of the lore behind it stems from it being the "successor" to the R154.

If anyone knows about posts and stuff on AR5 limits please point me in their direction. Would love to know exactly what I swapped in.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i could have sworn i posted in here a couple of days ago, but i cannot find my post. oh well, here goes.

you are not ready to do a swap. you need to research A LOT more, or pay a shop to do the swap for you.

knowing the difference between the W and R series trannies and what they are rated for is day 1 stuff that can easily be obtained through a google search.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If anyone knows about posts and stuff on AR5 limits please point me in their direction. Would love to know exactly what I swapped in.
im not sure if your being sarcastic or not, as it sounds like youve already installed an AR5 trans?

with that being said, i believe zilvia has a pretty comprehensive thread. lots of the S chassis guys are starting to realize the superiority of the JZ over the RB series engines (fight me if you disagree); although most seem to be unhappy with the R154. most swap to an AR5 or CD009.

hell, theres even a SR guy swapping a BMW trans into his S chassis.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
im not sure if your being sarcastic or not, as it sounds like youve already installed an AR5 trans?

with that being said, i believe zilvia has a pretty comprehensive thread. lots of the S chassis guys are starting to realize the superiority of the JZ over the RB series engines (fight me if you disagree); although most seem to be unhappy with the R154. most swap to an AR5 or CD009.

hell, theres even a SR guy swapping a BMW trans into his S chassis.
I'm not. I have an AR5 because it fit my needs of stock gte daily driving and not made out of glass. But as far as how much they hold or at what torque they start breaking I have no clue....and would be an interesting read.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts