Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any suggestions on a good torque wrench? i've never owned one before so i'm not sure what's good and what isn't. craftsman is usually a safe bet but does anyone have any suggestions? i don't have to have the top of the line but i don't want a pos either. what's the best bang for the buck??

thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sears, Craftsman make a few model torque wrenches, but the only model that has their "forever" warranty is the their lowest end model line which sells for about $19.99. They claim their higher end models are more precise and most likly easier to go off balance when abused. Guess which one I bought. I pretty much only use it to torque down lug nuts when I change wheels, but I would'nt recomend it on serious engine work.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
LEX5SPDIS300 said:
Sears, Craftsman make a few model torque wrenches, but the only model that has their "forever" warranty is the their lowest end model line which sells for about $19.99. They claim their higher end models are more precise and most likly easier to go off balance when abused. Guess which one I bought. I pretty much only use it to torque down lug nuts when I change wheels, but I would'nt recomend it on serious engine work.
They come with a lifetime warranty
So you can always take them back and get a new one.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
choi0706 said:
s0yb0mb said:
choi0706 said:
gcs118 said:
I've heard good things about Snap-On Tools.
Snap-Ons are awesome! but cost ALOT.
i saw a 14 pc set for sale for $400!!! :crazy:
yup! the snap-on engine code reader costs 1k!
I have a Snap-On. The reason why you're probably broke on you is because you dont loosen the tension of the torque spring after using it. But craftsman products are lifetime warrantied so go back to them.

Snap-On scan tool cost 1k? Lolz where are you getting your tools from. One of my Snap On scan tool cost 3k, thats a mini one. Snap-on is known for their quality and lifetime warranty. word of advice, dont purchase snap-on bluepoint line they sucks balls. All of my tools are actually Snap-on and to date my tool box is worth approx. 19,000.

Craftsman are equal in quality to the Snap On line. You have to go to the Sears automotive section and get the industrial tool section.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've got a 3/8" snap on that measures in inch-lb and a 1/2" MAC that measures in ft-lb. Both are excellent professional tools but I prefer the MAC over the Snap on for the simple reason that it has the new soft grip rubberized handle. This thing is so comfortable, your hands don't get as tired and hurt if you're appling a lot of torque. I'm thinking about replacing my all ratchets with the new soft grip handle ones, they are that good. ALWAYS back down the setting on the wrench to the lowest when storing if you want it to stay accurate.

As far as the 14pc set from SnapOn, you must be thinking about a wrench set and not a torque wrench, cause they don't come in sets like that, it's only a driver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.