Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

soon I'm going to come closer and closer to a race car :cool: so one of
the next steps will be installing race seats and some good roll cage.
I'm wondering who of you enthusiast guys has got some experiences with roll cages in/on the IS300.

I'd like to find some good one which can be fitted PnP into the IS300
without cutting/welding and still getting 5 passengers in the car.

I could find that site HPF IS300 roll cages but don't know what is what and what is how?!?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had auto power in my mustang and it bolted in really well. i crashed it and it saved my life.. now i have an is300 but anyways. they make really good roll cages and if youre tall you can specify that when ordering and they can adjust the cage accordingly. but ya auto power is good basic full 10pt cage

·
Registered
495 Posts
get the race seats first,

I'm not sure of your location, but if your in the states, then get a copy of the 2010 SCCA rule book. Then go find a welder/race performance shop that employs a Tig welder. give him the rule book and go from there.

If your anywhere else, you need to look into which ever racing association your going to participate in, FIA, SCCA, BTCC, what ever, get their rule book, and follow accordingly.

Good luck with the build, Cheers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
BlacksportD has an Okiyama/cusco cage in his ride it is very nicely done. I would like to rock that cage in my IS too someday. Getting in the back seats are only for kids under 12 hehe. I also have a cusco cage in my 86 and i love it, no back seat as it is gutted. I have seen some autopower cages and i think it is hit and miss, some look good and some look so so. I think it depends who the welder/fitter is doing the cage.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
BlacksportD has an Okiyama/cusco cage in his ride it is very nicely done. I would like to rock that cage in my IS too someday. Getting in the back seats are only for kids under 12 hehe. I also have a cusco cage in my 86 and i love it, no back seat as it is gutted. I have seen some autopower cages and i think it is hit and miss, some look good and some look so so. I think it depends who the welder/fitter is doing the cage.

Your talking about a cage and your major gripe is looks? :confused:

But you know best. So listen to this guy. Get the best looking cage and put some glitter on it and some stickers and make it look pretty. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
What he meant by looks wasn't a literal statement, but the reports from friends in the autox scene of bad welds.

As far as fitment, the Okiyama/Dash cage is utter perfection. But IMO get the Autopower as theirs are actually rated for many of the American road events and comes with some extra bells/whistles. I no longer compete, I just have fun and after getting hooked up with a Dash, I can't part with it as it by far has made a huge difference for my beat up chassis. If I were to complete again, then I would need to get the Autopower to be legal, despite some of the disputed quality issues.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Were going to do an autopower cage in the white IS300 and will have pictures up as soon as we can do it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Your talking about a cage and your major gripe is looks? :confused:

But you know best. So listen to this guy. Get the best looking cage and put some glitter on it and some stickers and make it look pretty. :rolleyes:
You should have read till the last sentence or maybe your attention span couldn't get you that far? :( I said it depended on who the fitter/welder was to ensure proper fitment and weldments on the joints.Some welders are certified and others aren't. If a weldment is done improperly then it would be detrimental to the structural rigidity of the cage. Weldments should go through some form of testing either transonic, porosity or xray to ensure proper embedment of either the groove or fillet. It is extremely critical to do such even with the type of electrode being used (dependent on the amount of passes). Since the OP was planning to buy a cage, and it ain't cheap, make sure the quality is there. I guess it doesn't matter much to you but to each his own. By the way, good calling me out on the glitters and yet you have orange wheels on your ride; kinda like a catch 22 don't you think?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the advantage of the AutoPower to the Cusco?

It seems all AutoPower cages have to be custom made,
so is it possible I tell them all wishes for the roll cage (4 door use, sunroof use, still to transport 5 people) and all stuff?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cusco's arn't SCCA legal, I'm not sure about NASA, or FIA either. I don't think any cage that bolts together is, to the floor is ok, but not each section. I haven't read the rule books in a couple years so they may have changed, but I know they weren't a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
you can call autopower and have it made to fit a sunrood. CHECK.

call and tell someone that you want to put peoples lives at risk by putting them in between some bars. NO CHECK.

You can order an autopower cage through Sage auto if you hit them up.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm located here in Europe, meaning worst case is to be forced by FIA rules.

Don't know what NASA proof means, maybe they have built in roll cages in some Spaceshuttle *haha*

Well first thing is to fix the seatbelts of my race seats,
so maybe the small cage for the middle is still ok?
Further more I can still have 2-3 people on the rear seats, is it?

And what about that U-WELD TYPE?
What is that and the difference to the bolt-in roll cage?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Settle down 2T haha, I explained what you meant by looks haha.

From looking around these boards, the Cusco requires modding to fit the IS300 (intended for the Altezza RHD). My cage is JDM also, but fitment is simply amazing, the clearances and welds awesome- but about as legal as a paper weight.

Autopower is located in San Diego, and I have been there before. Its modest, small and they have a lot of heritage. Their kit is already built for the IS300 and w/ lots of bells and whistles (things that my Dash does not have such as harness bar, cross member etc), I do not see a reason why it needs to be customized unless you have a interesting specific issue.

I can't recall off of the top of my head what the Autopower's are certified for, you would have to contact them. NASA is a great bumper to bumper racing organization in the States and we have some .netters that participate in it. They have all moved to better base platform cars since then, thats a different discussion all together.

As PhillyB was getting to, please PLEASE use good foam to insulate the cage in case of an accident. The same regional SCCA champ that brought the quality issues to me is an old high school friend, and also had the bad news to tell me of a mutual friend from school that is in a vegetational state from a street accident, he had a cage and the bars were left bare. Putting passengers in the rear though possible (especially with the Dash) is putting them in a hurt locker in even a minor accident. I think Autopower also sells this foam, 2TGEU took care of me in this department.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Next time, please try and check your grammar. You are = you're and not Your.
Well spoken Francis......

Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
As PhillyB was getting to, please PLEASE use good foam to insulate the cage in case of an accident. The same regional SCCA champ that brought the quality issues to me is an old high school friend, and also had the bad news to tell me of a mutual friend from school that is in a vegetational state from a street accident, he had a cage and the bars were left bare. Putting passengers in the rear though possible (especially with the Dash) is putting them in a hurt locker in even a minor accident. I think Autopower also sells this foam, 2TGEU took care of me in this department.
Thank you.

In fact every sanctioning body out there now requires the use of sfi rated padding on every bar that could in any instance come into contact with a part of the driver or passenger's (in the case of hpde's) body. There are options for the foam with single or dual layer if you want the soft cushy outer layer.

I spoke with my tech/fabricator here at the shop who is also a driving instructor with N.A.S.A., he as well as every other instructor has the option to not get into a car without equal safety equipment/padding on both sides of the car. Not only that, but he informed me that he has refused to get into a car and instruct a student that had a cusco decorative show cage.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well spoken Francis, ill give you a call if you like and we will go over the proper usage of the inter-webs. Is your number still eight one eight- 292-3035?

I sure as hell do not use correct grammar on the computer yet i am awesome at all the other wonderful and whimsical possibilities of it.

Thank you for your worthless educational history of the inter-webs.

Have a good day.
Phil if you feel the urge to unburden yourself with anything, feel free to give me a call, I'll try to recall some high school freudanism for your sake. You have my #, posted it numerous times on this board as well as others; no worries there.

For the record I am not into "inter-webs", but you called me out on cages. I deal with welding ss everyday, so if you want to discuss that at length, I'll oblige.

I don't know about you but I am tired of all this "ethug" stuff online. I guess the threats make you feel better. By the way, you are more than welcome on the "worthless educational history". Yeah who needs proper education nowadays huh? Have a pleasant day.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No E-Thug here. Just proving a point that there is more to the web and the forums then attacking everyones grammar.

Ill edit my post to take the info out. As its not who i am to bash people or put them down. So my only gripe would be people who look for a cute cage rather then a functional one. As those going after the fancy show cages which stand for nothing else but looks.

After your side was explained by another i left it at that and felt no need to come back into the thread and discuss it any further till you went grammar crazy.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Were going to do an autopower cage in the white IS300 and will have pictures up as soon as we can do it.
autopower all the way....
if ur going fast in the 1/4mile
or other track events cusco will not pass tech inspection....but all depends on what level of competition ur in.....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
well Phil, a cage is a cage. There are better cages and inferior ones. The welded ones are far more rigid than the bolt on ones. I think it is just a better option for those peeps who don't have welding skills, that's all. I don't think the cusco ones are for show but that is my opinion. Is it better than no cage at all, well i don't think anyone can dispute that.

My only concern was when you called me out as a "know it all" which i am not. I rarely post on inside out as you can see from my searched posts, so the "show stuff comments" really got to me. Furthermore, the threat and the mere fact that you posted my cell# without my consent was very brash don't you think?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.