Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys looking for some honest feedback here. I aquired these headers in a parts deal and have a few questions. Now either way my shop will have to do some work and that is not a problem.

Should I use these godsnow ebay headers? I will have the b2s1 bung relocated and the downpipe modified for a good fitment.
Or
These pacesetter headers, I will have the cats removed and straight pipes welded in place. The rest of the fitment should be perfectly fine.
I will be running a megan racing down pipe.
Both headers look to be a short runner design. The diameter of the runners and collector pipes is larger on the ebay headers. I am looking for more low end power. What I like with the pacesetter set is the fact that the o2s are located in a collective area as opposed to one runner on the ebay set.
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Should I use these godsnow ebay headers?
You can drop the branding, they all come from the same factory in china. I have a set currently and can only steer you away from them as far as possible. If you haven't already checked on the ebay ones, you are pretty likely to run into exhaust stud fitment problems. It left me drilling steel for like what felt like an hour. That's also not to include the many hours spent trying to fix the awful exhaust leak that develops since the ebay ones do not account for the O-ring style compression gasket that comes with the stock system. If you look closely at the flange that meets the Y-pipe, you'll notice it's flat, and that fact alone makes getting ANY chemical compound to work as a sealant, trust me there doesn't seem to be any epoxy in the world that can withstand 1800 degrees continuously AND whatever ungodly pressures are coming out of the exhaust manifold.

Go with the nice looking ones and gut the cats, just make sure the weld jobs are good (y)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Funny, looking at the pictures i would have said the opposite, but them I'm looking at it from purely a flow side and the collector on the pacesetter is plain old ugly! Primary runners are short shorts and the collectors look like its got huge steps in size difference which they've just filled with weld. At least the ebay ones are long primaries, not sure how removing the cats will work for the smog testing though. But im only looking at photos and know nothing about either brand so who knows.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
525 Posts
If smog is an issue just use the pacesetter part and leave the cats there.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
525 Posts
eBay item will definitely flow better. As stated above, it won’t fit correctly. As you said, your shop can modify it to fit correctly I suppose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea they're good guys that do good work. And you say ebay will flow better. That is versus the pace setter without cats and piped correct?

·
Registered
891 Posts
flow is all about removing the least amount of energy from the moving gas, so least amounts of change in direction the better. So slender and least number of bends the better and faster the gas will flow, critical on an NA setup. Same reason for straight pipes making more power, and not going too large on NA exhaust diameters. Cats split the flow up as it goes through the mesh inside creating turbulence, so any cat will slow the flow down some.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yea they're good guys that do good work. And you say ebay will flow better. That is versus the pace setter without cats and piped correct?
Look, if you're gonna go with the ebay unit, at the very least for the love that all that is holy DO NOT USE the shitty ass gaskets that you see in the picture. You're better off reusing the stock MLS ones

I mentioned in a previous post recently about headers, you'll want to definetly wrap them in a LR based wrap, better for exhaust scavenging and performance.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Its probably best to get the shop to double check the flatness of the mating faces and machine flat if needed so the gasket seals properly. Ive seen some items back in the old school days where they had come out of the factory pretty much just having the welds buffed off with a grinder and left like that, in the mean time all the welds heating and cooling warps the hell out of the faces. Machine them flat and they seal like a pro again, could be the same here ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts