Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing and flushing the power steering fluid on my car soon. I also plan to only drain and fill the manual transmission (W55). If I have more time, I am also changing out the differential fluid.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which fluid should I use? Should I stick with OEM?

Bonus question: If I only drain and fill the W55, is it good enough? I had a first gen Lexus RX300 in the past where flushing the transmission was strongly advised against.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven’t heard about not flushing a manual transmission. I think that you’re thinking about an automatic, which that’s a debate for another thread LOL. There’s not really any wet friction discs to degrade in a manual. I guess the synchros could wear but not to that degree. Anyhow, I think the factory rec was for a GL-4 75W-90. I want to say Redline MT-90 will work just fine.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I haven’t heard about not flushing a manual transmission. I think that you’re thinking about an automatic, which that’s a debate for another thread LOL. There’s not really any wet friction discs to degrade in a manual. I guess the synchros could wear but not to that degree.
Yeah ive never heard of flushing a manual, as far as i know they still dont have a pump to push the oil through galleries, bearings or syncros like an auto or CVT. Usually the oil is moved around by the spinning gears sitting in the oil same as a diff. But it is definitely advisable to change the oil from time to time, no pump also equals no filters so eventually the particles worn off can cause damage if they are left in the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Pnut00
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing