Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. I have had 3 different people tell me 3 different things about
which engine is used in the IS300. The first one comes from my friend Mike who is a Service Manager for a Toyota dealership so he has the most credibility. He told me the engine used in the IS300 is the same one used in the Toyota Camry & the Solora??? Another guy told me that Mike is wrong that the Camry uses a V6 and the IS300 uses an Inline 6, and that the ES300 is the one that uses the Camry engine. Then yet another guy tells me the IS300 uses a Supra top end? So which one of these guys is right? I just one to know for my sanity, someone please tell me this is not a Camry engine. Not that this car is super fast or anything, but I just wanted to know. Thanks.......

-Yamaha Dave

·
8,880 Posts
2JZ-GE, same as NA supra, same as GS300.
Inline 6, unlike V6 in ES and Camry, which are FWD so I6 would not fit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well it is an inline 6.

The designation of the engine in the IS300 is 2JZ-GE (if you're purchasing an IS300 and not an Altezza)

The 2JZ-GTE is the Supra Twin Turbo Engine
The 2JZ-GE is the Supra Naturally Aspirated Engine

One of the main reasons it could never be a camry engine, is because that engine is designed for front wheel drive! And that definitely won't work out too well for RWD like the Is300

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me for my import knowledge, I just came from a domestic (Mustang) to an import so I'm trying to catch up. So if it's the same
as the NA Supra what makes the Supra so much faster?

-Yamaha Dave

·
8,880 Posts
youngji said:
Here's a question Vlad,

Are all 2001 Is300s Auto? And do they all come with LSD?
Yes and NO
LSD had to be special ordered for 2001 model. I had to wait 1 1/2 months for it.

·
8,880 Posts
yamahadave said:
Forgive me for my import knowledge, I just came from a domestic (Mustang) to an import so I'm trying to catch up. So if it's the same
as the NA Supra what makes the Supra so much faster?

-Yamaha Dave
Twin Turbo Supra is much faster than Normally Aspirated Supra.
2JZ-GTE vs 2JZ-GT

·
8,880 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
when everybody says LSD, they mean Limited Slip Differential, right?
Yes...

...definetely not the stuff that makes you see different colors. :wink:

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
yamahadave said:
Question. I have had 3 different people tell me 3 different things about
which engine is used in the IS300. The first one comes from my friend Mike who is a Service Manager for a Toyota dealership so he has the most credibility. He told me the engine used in the IS300 is the same one used in the Toyota Camry & the Solora??? Another guy told me that Mike is wrong that the Camry uses a V6 and the IS300 uses an Inline 6, and that the ES300 is the one that uses the Camry engine. Then yet another guy tells me the IS300 uses a Supra top end? So which one of these guys is right? I just one to know for my sanity, someone please tell me this is not a Camry engine. Not that this car is super fast or anything, but I just wanted to know. Thanks.......

-Yamaha Dave
your friend Mike is an Idiot. He should NOT be alloweed to work at a Toyota Dealership if he can't get the engines right!!
Your second friend is correct about the ES300 and the Camry being the same.
Your third friend is also correct.

... now you can sleep peacefully. :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re

Aghhh thanks guys. It just made me feel like shit when he said that. Especially since he said it at a party with lots of people around and
here I am proud new owner telling everyone about my car and he
comes in with Camry engine thing....

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Re

yamahadave said:
Aghhh thanks guys. It just made me feel like sh*t when he said that. Especially since he said it at a party with lots of people around and

-Yamaha Dave
Ok bud, here's the part you might want to get right: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A CAMRY ENGINE! I've bought a new 97 Camry for my wife and that V6 engine screamed as far as 4-door mideum size family sedans engines go. Moreover, the stock 1997 V6 Camry is 0.4 seconds quicker than the stock 1997 V6 Mustang on the 0-60 run. Granted, mine had 17" Neeper rims with Z tires on it, but that's one beautiful engine anyway - after putting 80K miles on it in 3 years we've sold it to some family guy who's been driving an early 80's Mustang V8 for the past 20 years - the guy loved the car!

Now, don't get me wrong, Camry/ES300 V6 isn't a race car engine, therefore it's not tuned for max speed/power performace, rather for smooth and quiet ride, but it's nothing to be "ashamed" :shame: of!

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Re: Re

RX300wannabeIS300 said:
yamahadave said:
Aghhh thanks guys. It just made me feel like sh*t when he said that. Especially since he said it at a party with lots of people around and

-Yamaha Dave
Ok bud, here's the part you might want to get right: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A CAMRY ENGINE! I've bought a new 97 Camry for my wife and that V6 engine screamed as far as 4-door mideum size family sedans engines go. Moreover, the stock 1997 V6 Camry is 0.4 seconds quicker than the stock 1997 V6 Mustang on the 0-60 run. Granted, mine had 17" Neeper rims with Z tires on it, but that's one beautiful engine anyway - after putting 80K miles on it in 3 years we've sold it to some family guy who's been driving an early 80's Mustang V8 for the past 20 years - the guy loved the car!

Now, don't get me wrong, Camry/ES300 V6 isn't a race car engine, therefore it's not tuned for max speed/power performace, rather for smooth and quiet ride, but it's nothing to be "ashamed" :shame: of!
I don't think he's ashamed of the Camry engine. He's just confused as to what he has in the IS. I didn't see anywhere in his post that he was clowning the camry/ES300 engine.

You're right though, those engines are damn good engines.. but then again..aren't all toyota engines great? :lol:

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Ohh...subtle distinction...

1MZ-FE in Camry has no VVT-i.

1MZ-FE in ES300 does have VVT-i.

So, to be anal...the Camry and ES300 do not have the exact same engine. Haha... :p

Moreover, the Camry SE V6 has the 3MZ-FE (3.3L V6 w/ 225 hp and 240* lb-ft)...

*torque number could be off, and I'm too lazy to check...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts