Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a potential 04 IS300 owner and have searched but have not found a thread related to this.

I'm curious which options owners have on their IS300s, if they are happy with them, if there are other options they'd prefer or ones they didn't want but were already on the car they bought, etc.

Thanks for any helpful input! =)

If you guys put together a FAQ, maybe the answers you provide to this question would be of help to other IS300 newbs like me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
lexus website or brochure...

sunroof and leather (either escaine or perforated) is pretty much standard

the only real question is do you want automatic/manual or the nav system?

since you're a newbie i doubt you'd need to worry about the other things

·
Registered
181 Posts
get the Nav. Some people say its a waste. But i know my town like the abck of my hand, and it ahs sometimes come in very useful when i need to find a house or a business. Your freinds also get a big kick out of it too

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be getting the manual trans and sunroof, possibly looking for one with upgraded seats as well. My question though was what you guys think of the other options available for the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
nav is a personal preference, as is what kind of leather seats. If all you plan on doing with your car is driving around town you don't need the other options.

·
Registered
385 Posts
In Canada, our std features & options list may be different but my major options: leather/suede, 17" wheels, power seats, sunroof, & oh yeah, a LSD!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruxader said:
nav is a personal preference, as is what kind of leather seats. If all you plan on doing with your car is driving around town you don't need the other options.
Actually down the road I might go turbo. Things I wanted to know are things like - is the LSD offered by the factory strong enough to handle upgraded power down the road or are the turbo guys using another aftermarket LSD?

Same thing with the 5speed manual - are they swapping out for the Supra's 6speed or can the 5 speed gearbox handle turbo power down the road?

I wouldn't be looking to make an insane machine, just maybe 250-350rwhp.

Again, that's down the road and I just want to get only what is necessary or useful up front - I don't want to spend the money on the LSD if it's not going to be able to handle added power later on - or maybe it's strong and exactly the LSD to have if one plans to go turbo. These are things I don't know and would appreciate help with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are we talking the clutch or the actual gearbox?

I realize it'll be around $10k to do a proper, safe, reliable turbo upgrade, so it's not something I'd want to do without full research and I'll be doing that later. Right now I just want to make sure I make the right choices at the dealership if I get an 04 IS300. =)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen turbo guys say they're running a Getrag 6speed, so I'd assume that's the one from the Supra, right?

Perhaps this is something to ask in another thread or even something that is in an existing thread (I haven't researched this yet since I was more interested in knowing about the stock options/accessories before worrying about mods) but I'd like to know exactly what is necessary to achieve ~350whp on the IS300.

·
8,849 Posts
The stock tranny may hold up up to 350RWH.
There are 2 upgarde transmissions to choose from.
R154 and Getrag V160.
First is 5 spd and less expensive than 6 spd V160.
Expect to spend $7,000 on the Getrag swap.
Rear-end may need to be upgraded too in order to maximize 6 gears usage.

I think IS300GTE is working on an upgrade kit for R154. There are a few turbo people looking into that setup.

Be sure to get Ecsaine (Alcantra for 2004) seats - they will hold you better. Seat heaters is a great option. LSD I wouldn't do without.

The rest, such as tires/rims dedicated to seasons, you'll be able to figure out yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.