Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given money was not an issue which vehicle would you consider purchasing? And explain why? pro's and con's? Be honest?

1. Lexus IS-F
2. BMW M3(coupe)
3. BMW M3(sedan)
4. Audi RS4
5. Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
6. Volvo S60R
5. Saab Turbo X
7. Cadillac CTS-V(2009)

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Lexus IS F.

Sure, it may give up a few tenths here and there in steering feel and handling to the Germans, but Lexus quality and reliability should be notably better than any of the aforementioned Germans or the Caddy.

Frankly, I see neither the Volvo S60R nor the upcoming AWD Saab Turbos as competitors in this category.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
1. Lexus IS-F. I love my IS so it's not a big stretch of the imagination.

2. Audi RS4 - Nice car, AWD, boring interior.

3. BMW M3 coupe / sedan - see Audi remarks above, substract AWD, add reliability concerns.

4. Mercedes Benz C63 AMG - Fugly.

5. Volvo S60R - Very nice car, underrated. Almost bought one, bought the IS instead. Not in the same category as the others though.

6. Saab Turbo X - GM has bastardized SAAB. I miss my old SAABs but would not consider the new ones.

7. Cadillac CTS-V. See remarks about GM and SAAB above.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well that depends on your needs.

Do you like raw power? Go for the C63. Do you like top of the line handling prowress? Go for the M3 coupe. Do you want stability? Go for the RS4. Do you want reliability and comfort? Go for the IS-F. All four of these cars compete in the same class and their performance isn't far off from eachother to really make a difference. You can actually go on youtube and watch a video by Top Gear comparing the M3, RS4 and C63. I'm sure it'll help you a lot if you plan to buy one of these. As for the IS-F, most motoring magazines give it a good review so just read up on it. Motor Trend had a great article on it saying it was probably the best Japanese car they've ever driven.

As for the others, the M3 sedan is generically the same as the coupe but with extra doors. I'm sure it'll be slightly heavier and slightly less rigid in the chassis department because of this so you might lose a bit of handling performance out of that. The CTS-V might be good but I don't know much on it. The Saab and Volvo are not in the same class, no comparison.

Most of these cars run around $60-65 grand base price. If you can afford a little more, you can get yourself the new GT-R with its monstrous performance. There's a video on youtube proving the car ran the Nurburgring in 7:38:54. That's a ridiculous time. Not to mention it comes with AWD, a monstrous engine and a decent interior. Basically for a few extra grand, I get better performance than an M3 in handling, just as much power as a C63 and the stability of an RS4 =] Of course, Lexus will always have its reliability and comfort but the GT-R is decent.

I'd get the GT-R personally since I already have an IS250 for comfort =]

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
1. Nissan GT-R
2. Lexus IS-F
3. Audi RS4

Not interested in any of the rest.

Reactions: cdeslandes

·
Registered
827 Posts
Is-f!!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses well since I started this thread I'm going to give my 2 cents. I'm with the ISF just as jruhi said you cant beat the quality and reliabilty you get with Lexus plus I placed a deposit. Thats my pick over the beemer and the benz. Hopefully there will be some performance parts for the ISF after release. What do you guys think about the F sportline accessories? Worth it? IMO those rims look awful....

·
Registered
56 Posts
1 C63, love it, i think it's beautiful, and all that POWARRR
2 GTR the skyline became a mark, a figure, an icon, not a good reason, there is no way the new one will be a miss
3 RS4 Very exciting looking car (for an Audi at least) still boring interior
4 IS-F don't love it yet, maybe gotta see it first?
5 S60R i want one actually
6 Saab Turbo X/Caddy CTS-V GM cars, best from GM, still not very good

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 BMW m3 coupe/sedan I am biased against all BMW's. Everybody makes god out of them, i hate them

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
1. Lexus IS-F - It's a Lexus, good quality. In addition to the performance aspect (V8) of the already powerfull IS.

2. Audi RS4 - Without a doubt the most powerfull of the vehicles here. European vehicles are proven to lack some aspects that the foreign cars excell in such as the IS. This is my favorite, other than the bland interior and it being compared to a Lexus.

3. BMW M3(Coupe) - Fast! Sleek styling! Poor crash test rating, or atleast in the recent precious years.

4. BMW M3(Sedan) - The new M3 looks better in the coupe version. Same reasons as above as well.

5. Mercedes Benz C63 AMG - I love the new look, power, seven-speed automatic! Hate that it is a Mercedes.

6. Saab Turbo X - My father owned a 02' 9-5 Aero, fast! Cant imagine what this gives you. I like the interior styling, hate there color combos as well as there 'hidden gadgets & instrumnts'

5. Volvo S60R - Ugly inside and out! Period!

7. Cadillac CTS-V - Hate the CTS look, and love the LS1, LS2 engene. The two don't go good together and the engine only performs well in a Vette! Caddy's are meant for the elderly. There trying to trick some old lady into buying a new CTS with a vette engene in it. LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
After seeing pictures of the new '09 CTS-V, I'd take that first. Then the IS-F, then the C63, then the M3 sedan, then the M3 Coupe, then the RS4. Really wouldn't consider the Saab or Volvo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Volvo S60 R went bye bye. No more. It's already been removed from their web site.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Honestly I like looks with both my cars and women ;)

so basically I think the RS4 is a pot bellied pig
The M3 sedan is beautiful i think along with the IS-F so its a tie between those two. I would wait to see some modded ones before I made a final decision.

The mercedes i its the one im thinking about looks pretty dirty too but im a benz hater for no reason. Just think they're over rated :jawDrop:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Out of those i imagine the C63 would be the most fun short term but the IS-F would be the best to live with. If you have that much money thought just by a Z06.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If i was to get a beemer then i would get the 335i because there is nothing better than having a reliable turbo car. But the rear end looks like crap. overall the IS-f would be the best choice of all, it looks great and has enough power for the average person. just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Out of this list, The M3 coupe would probably be on top of my list just because it's a coupe, i've always been a coupe fan. But for a 4dr out of that list, first choice would probably between the IS-F and C63, still can't decide. I would have to wait how the CTS-V will look like, but so far it looks good. Not a fan of the e90 body styling, it's not ugly, but i just don't like it that much. I really like the IS-F except for that hood and the C63 is just awesome but i'm afraid it'll be a lot more than the IS-F. Probably close to $70k if not more. Volvo's and Saabs, although they are decent looking cars, i would'nt even consider any of them amongst the other cars as a choice or option. And the RS4, still too expensive and a bit outdated compare to the all of the new competition.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
M3 coupe (still not back to it's e30 racing roots, but it keeps getting better, and faster)

M5 sedan (I need a big, fast car, that has a back seat worth a shhhh...)

C63 AMG (I like raw machines that will make you pay when you make mistakes, it makes you a better driver)

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
Could not agree more.

I'll take an IS-F

Lexus IS F.

Sure, it may give up a few tenths here and there in steering feel and handling to the Germans, but Lexus quality and reliability should be notably better than any of the aforementioned Germans or the Caddy.

Frankly, I see neither the Volvo S60R nor the upcoming AWD Saab Turbos as competitors in this category.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Based on reading:

1. RS4
1a. ISF
1b. M3

I know this is kinda of a cop out, but when you spend this type of money on cars, I think you are really splitting hairs. They are all great cars for many different reasons, all of which depend on the buyer/driver.

I bought an RS4 because I like the buff German car look, with the big flared fenders. Also, there is something to be said for a car that has been significantly changed, engine, body, suspension. Finally, it is in stock now, a few years in production, and can be had for a discount.

Since none of the the other cars are available now, I can only speculate from what I have read:

I think it is a tie between the M3 and the ISF. I love the look of the M3 coupe, but it only looks good with the 19' wheels, the carbon roof, and in lighter colors that show off the contrast in materials. The sedan is kinda funky, especially the back. The interior is straight out of the 3 series, except for the steering wheel. BMW tech is really non-intuitive, and lacks all a lot of the functions of the Japanese cars.

I like the look of the ISF. Yes it is a little crazy looking, in an aggressive way, but again it fits the Japanese style. The price will be a big issue, not just similarly loaded MSRP, but I do not anticipate the "market price" adjustments BMW is known for. Also, the ISF will be a little more exclusive, because I think it will be a "car person's car" whereas the M3, especially in CA tends to be a badge hound kinda vehicle.

Both have a lot great engineering in the engines and suspension, which is really cool.

I like the C63 the least. I am not a fan of the looks. It seems a bit too "Vegas flashy." I also don't like the Top Gear criticisms of the handling. Unlike in Europe, we have a huge history of large displacement, straight line speed cars so I am wary of writers falling in love with a big German engine. Simply put, how much more impressive is the C63 engine in comparison with a muscle car?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts