Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
wait and see, it is impossible to tell until we see the tuner market response to the release of each of the cars (excluding the RS4, of course)

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
wait and see, it is impossible to tell until we see the tuner market response to the release of each of the cars (excluding the RS4, of course)
You're right, of course, but, looking strictly at the engine designs and spec sheets, independent of market demand and tuner interest, a clear answer emerges: the C63 AMG.

The Audi RS4 and BMW M3 are highly tuned (100 hp-per-liter or more), high redline (circa 8000 rpm) engines right from the factory. Thus, they're almost as "optimized" as can be. In comparison, the Lexus IS F is less highly tuned and lower-revving, but its high compression ratio (11.8:1) and the direct-and-port-injector combo make tuning a bit tricky as well.

The Mercedes C63, on the other hand, takes an older-school, almost American muscle car engine design philosophy: a large, relatively low-stressed engine with port injection only. Further, much as Porsche always ensures that the cheaper and lighter Boxster and Cayman will never be, from the factory, faster than the 911, Mercedes micromanages the power output of the 6.2-liter AMG V8 so that it's less powerful in the lighter, smaller and cheaper bodies, and more powerful in the larger, heavier, pricier cars. Specifically, the 6.2-liter AMG V8 produces 451 hp in the C63; 475 in the CLK63; 507 hp in the E63 and CLS63; 510 hp in the ML63; and 518 in the S63 and CL63. Thus, unless underhood space is a major factor, it shouldn't be particularly difficult to get the C63 AMG to approach S63/CL63 levels of power output.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You're right, of course, but, looking strictly at the engine designs and spec sheets, independent of market demand and tuner interest, a clear answer emerges: the C63 AMG.

The Audi RS4 and BMW M3 are highly tuned (100 hp-per-liter or more), high redline (circa 8000 rpm) engines right from the factory. Thus, they're almost as "optimized" as can be. In comparison, the Lexus IS F is less highly tuned and lower-revving, but its high compression ratio (11.8:1) and the direct-and-port-injector combo make tuning a bit tricky as well.

The Mercedes C63, on the other hand, takes an older-school, almost American muscle car engine design philosophy: a large, relatively low-stressed engine with port injection only. Further, much as Porsche always ensures that the cheaper and lighter Boxster and Cayman will never be, from the factory, faster than the 911, Mercedes micromanages the power output of the 6.2-liter AMG V8 so that it's less powerful in the lighter, smaller and cheaper bodies, and more powerful in the larger, heavier, pricier cars. Specifically, the 6.2-liter AMG V8 produces 451 hp in the C63; 475 in the CLK63; 507 hp in the E63 and CLS63; 510 hp in the ML63; and 518 in the S63 and CL63. Thus, unless underhood space is a major factor, it shouldn't be particularly difficult to get the C63 AMG to approach S63/CL63 levels of power output.
I agree, it's the same 6.2 liter engine in all, I think a software tweak is all it needs to get good HP

·
Registered
35 Posts
The one with most room in the engine bay and lowest compression ratio would be most effective.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe an ECU flash and some pulleys, I'm sure lots of people will do more on the m3, but that's all I'll be doing down the line.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Pulleys? I think those are only a gain on a supercharged motor.

For a while you guys will be limited, the big hope is that a company like Diablosport will crack the ECU code and then you will be able to lean it out, eliminate torque mamagement and bump up the redline a few hundred RPMs. The factories tune these big motors conservatively...we had to wait a while with our HEMIs, but now people are getting 30+ hp over the whole power curve for less than $500!!!

If I can give you any advice, do not buy the first thing that is out there...wait until other people are testing and there's a little competition between the tuners. Good luck on an awesome car!

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
No lexus vehicles have had ECU reflashes, the IS300 wasn't cracked, nor were the 2nd gen ISs, and I would be willing to bet that the IS-F's ECU will not be cracked or reflashed either.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
No lexus vehicles have had ECU reflashes, the IS300 wasn't cracked, nor were the 2nd gen ISs, and I would be willing to bet that the IS-F's ECU will not be cracked or reflashed either.
Why is that?

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Why is that?
Presumably Lexus does a very good job encrypting their ECUs, although part of it may be that there has never been huge demand, not many people out there are hotrodding their LS460s.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How do people tune those monster MK4 Supras, some kind of piggyback system? I agree that there's not much desire to tune Toyotas, except those with 7MGTEs or 2JZGTEs...but that's so old school that tuners are way past that now in terms of complexity.

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
How do people tune those monster MK4 Supras, some kind of piggyback system? I agree that there's not much desire to tune Toyotas, except those with 7MGTEs or 2JZGTEs...but that's so old school that tuners are way past that now in terms of complexity.

Eric
piggy-back, or in most cases, standalone engine management, but the IS-F presents atypical problems for these as well because of the dual injection system that combines use of both port injection and direct injection.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh nvm then, I'm used to BMW modding and some mercedes.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Any guesses on which can be modded the most?
Any of them. How deep are the pockets and how creative is the owner? I've got alot more done to my car than many on the board here, but then there are many with a considerable amount more done as well.

When you refer to being modded are you talking 1 hour bolt-on's or real ground up approach? There are many levels in between.

Someone already said the aftermarket will go after whatever seels the most or has the most in common with existing vehicles.

Rephrase the question for a better response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
either the IS-F or M3 I think....
depends on which responds to modifications better.
The MB and Audi crowd are not as adamant when it comes to modifying their cars.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
hey starbucks do you enjoy the coffee or do you own a store?
all starbucks stores are corporate owned, I guess he's just a fan

Reactions: jruhi4

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I would say the M3. There are plenty of companies that specialize in BMW that are going to get their hands on it and tinker. The RS4 has been out for a decent amount of time and the only significant engine mod is the MTM supercharger good for about 520 bhp. Obviously there will suspension and brake upgrades from just about every company like Brembo and Eibach and whatnot. But look at the 335i. Brand new engine. Not out very long and we already have ones running in the 11s on street tires. Obviously it's easier to mess with a turbo motor, though. But that just shows the BMW tuning market.

My prediction:
M3 will have various supercharger and suspension upgrades coming out in the next couple of years. And I'm sure a CSL version will come out soon, and people will begin putting the CSL bodywork on regular M3s just like the e46.

Reactions: jruhi4
1 - 19 of 19 Posts