Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

When searching around for this topic on My.IS, I find mainly really old threads like this one:

When I search on YouTube it appears to be extremely straightforward to do this conversion for the 5 main bulbs anymore, meaning no more soldering of resistors needed like the old days.

However, I cannot figure out which actual bulbs to buy. I get that super white 194/168 might be fine for 3 out of the 5 LED bulbs, but what are the other 2 LED bulbs?

When I search on eBay for a kit it doesn't mention the actual bulbs used, and I just want to know which bulbs to buy as I have a local supplier I use but fear I may need to call out the bulbs themselves.

Do they need to be CANBUS compliant LEDs or not? The fact that they used to involve soldering makes me question that, but I didn't see anyone commenting on that.

I'm only looking to do the main dash cluster at this time in white, maybe later I'll get braver and attempt the key ring or other areas...but not yet. Thanks all for your help.

LEDbulbs.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to my local shop today to see if they can supply me with these bulbs directly. If I learn the answers to my various questions above I will share them here.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Hey guys,

When searching around for this topic on My.IS, I find mainly really old threads like this one:

When I search on YouTube it appears to be extremely straightforward to do this conversion for the 5 main bulbs anymore, meaning no more soldering of resistors needed like the old days.

However, I cannot figure out which actual bulbs to buy. I get that super white 194/168 might be fine for 3 out of the 5 LED bulbs, but what are the other 2 LED bulbs?

When I search on eBay for a kit it doesn't mention the actual bulbs used, and I just want to know which bulbs to buy as I have a local supplier I use but fear I may need to call out the bulbs themselves.

Do they need to be CANBUS compliant LEDs or not? The fact that they used to involve soldering makes me question that, but I didn't see anyone commenting on that.

I'm only looking to do the main dash cluster at this time in white, maybe later I'll get braver and attempt the key ring or other areas...but not yet. Thanks all for your help.

View attachment 133654
No Canbus on the dash bulbs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did go to my local bulb shop today and bought a few bulbs, they labeled them as T bulbs. However, I had a bit of trouble with the bulbs doing the actual swap (disassembly was fine). I will go back tomorrow armed with the information provided and make sure they sold me the right bulbs (one of the 3 194s physically failed upon my swapping it around for polarity check purposes). The bulbs that are likely known as the 74s here are odd little things, and don't have polarity issues supposedly.

I appreciate the information here...I truly expected at least a little drama on this mod so let's see if I can get it sorted out tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the 74 and T5 are a similar bulb from what I'm gathering. Just funny to see all these different bulbs referenced of course.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just recently bought the kit on eBay you referenced in your first post. Just waiting on em to show up. When they do, I'll post here to say whether it's straight forward like they claim or not

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just recently bought the kit on eBay you referenced in your first post. Just waiting on em to show up. When they do, I'll post here to say whether it's straight forward like they claim or not
I had that kit for a while, and it wasn't bright enough for my liking. I ended up buying some higher power bulbs from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did yours all fit? The one I bought said it had led for every bulb in the dash. I haven't done the gauge cluster yet, but I just got done trying to replace all the HVAC control lights, and neither the bulbs, nor the screw lock fittings would for any of em. Hell, the bulb was too big around to even for through the board. I'm not going to be surprised if the gauge cluster ones don't for either. 🤬😠🤬

I had that kit for a while, and it wasn't bright enough for my liking. I ended up buying some higher power bulbs from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine fit the gauge cluster just fine. They aren't all that bright like you said, but I'm ok with that as lights that are bright inside the vehicle really distract me at night. So it'll be ok for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine fit the gauge cluster just fine. They aren't all that bright like you said, but I'm ok with that as lights that are bright inside the vehicle really distract me at night. So it'll be ok for me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although I'm very happy with how the project turned out, I can say that I feel I've done it about 3 times if not more as I was very picky about bulb choices.

My advice is not to cheap out on the bulbs. What ended up being my top choice were Sylvania Super Bright 194 6000k LED bulbs for the 'big three', and the smaller two were Lumaworx T5 bulbs. The same T5 style of Lumaworx bulb was used for the key ring location. Although this is something approaching $40 in bulbs and way over my original budget, I'm very picky and won't care about the money in a week or so. I'd much rather be happy with the results of my project, and I am.

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

I hope that anyone can learn from my project of course. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts