Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well within the next week I'm going to be wiring my car for my sub and amp and soldering in my RCA jacks to my stock amp. Anyways I am also going to be installing the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play and I'm not sure where to tie into to power it up? The instructions suggest to tie it into the ignition, but honestly I didn't really want to mess with the ignition. I also need to wire in a remote lead to give the amp the signal to power on...

Anyways I was thinking maybe tie into the cig lighter? Anyway to tie into the power to the stock amp? I'm totally clueless and don't want to jack things up haha.

Any suggestions or info on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Tap the cig lighter for an amp lead. I've heard other people have done that with success.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
As the other 2 said, that will work fine!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I believe it's B3 on the small stock amp connector will work as a remote turn-on. It's on when the radio is on according to the service manual (it's the turn-on lead for the stock amp).

I'll be installing my amp sometime this week so I'll let you know.

Nate

EDIT:

CHANGED B2 to B3 (B2 is empty).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it's B2 on the small stock amp connector will work as a remote turn-on. It's on when the radio is on according to the service manual (it's the turn-on lead for the stock amp).

I'll be installing my amp sometime this week so I'll let you know.

Nate
I'm not sure what you mean by B2, but definitely let me know when you install yours. Its not a big deal, but it would be nice if the amp only powered on when the stereo does. So that its not constantly on and drawing power.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by B2, but definitely let me know when you install yours. Its not a big deal, but it would be nice if the amp only powered on when the stereo does. So that its not constantly on and drawing power.
Well, the small 18 pin connector on the stock amp is connector "B"

Pin 3 is the pin on that connector I am talking about. According to the Service Manual that pin has battery voltage only when the radio is on. It doesn't give me a wire color, but the pins should be labeled.

Nate

·
Registered
416 Posts
I forgot to update this thread.

The stock amp turn-on wire is Connector B (small connector), Pin 3, White/Light Blue. I'm using it to turn on my amp and crossover with no problems.

Nate

·
Registered
962 Posts
I forgot to update this thread.

The stock amp turn-on wire is Connector B (small connector), Pin 3, White/Light Blue. I'm using it to turn on my amp and crossover with no problems.

Nate
follow this guys recommendation.

i prefer using the stock amp's turn on lead, as it turns on and off with the factory deck rather than the key like the cigarette lighter plug or the accessory lead on the back of the deck.

depending on the amp you're using, some amps actually act pretty weird when they are turned on but there is no signal going through them (ie. car running, but deck turned off).

i've seen some of them play some crazy bass on sub amps. :suspiciou

1 - 10 of 10 Posts