Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this done a few times, with Dereks car and SupercharedIS200 race car... my question is, where can i buy a roof without the sunroof hole? Would toyota actually have a part number for this?

If not than can a bodyshop cover up the hole? Weld a plate in place and paint it?

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
It would prolly be the same over all cost. Toyota can order the whole roof for 200-400 then labor to cut off 8-10 welds , install the new one and re-spot weld the roof on and paint. The pro's of this are no waves where the sunroof use to be. This is an easy process to just replace it.

Thanks Is300soon

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got this PM from Derek, very usefull info!

Order:

Non-sunroof roof panel
Non-sunroof headliner (optional)
Front map light assy. (center one same)
Grab handle mounts (different)

Procedure:

Remove front and rear glass
Remove two roof mouldings
Remove grab handles, map lights, sunroof assy, drain tubes
Drill out spot welds and remove old panel
Install new panel
Paint
install new grab handle mounts w/ rivets
Install trim items
reinstall glass

Cost:

Parts were about $1200 + paint and labor. The headliner was pretty expensive if I remember correctly.

Overall pretty simple setup on the Lexus. Ends up very close to original factory setup.

-Derek

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Why because i belive he is going to track the car, and that's about 60 lbs weight savings at the very top of the car. a nice difference in handling.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked up the prices for the needed parts:

Non-sunroof roof panel ($422.22)
Non-sunroof headliner (optional) (expensive fucker $678.00)
Front map light assy. (center one same) ($108)
Grab handle mounts (different) ($22 each)

so yeah thats 1200 for parts is very accurate. Luckily for me all i need is the panel + labor :)

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IceCold4x4 said:
Why because i belive he is going to track the car, and that's about 60 lbs weight savings at the very top of the car. a nice difference in handling.
That is correct

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
+rep+ dude..that's pretty cheap man..

edit: You must show some love to other members before giving it to danielm again.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Daniel,
Did you get another IS3? What happened to the M?

Anyways, this is what I'd do...
Take the car to a body shop and have them weld in a plate and repaint the roof. Meanwhile, I'd take the stock headliner to an upholstery shop and have it recovered, and the hole filled... This might save you some $$$.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
this is what i would do:

1 take out sun roof

2 get a peice of lexan to fill hole

and your done and you still have a some what sun roof,the benifits of no sun roof and save about $1500

-Brett

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Flatline IS said:
Daniel,

Take the car to a body shop and have them weld in a plate and repaint the roof. Meanwhile, I'd take the stock headliner to an upholstery shop and have it recovered, and the hole filled... This might save you some $$$.
That's what I would do as well. I can't believe the headliner is that much money from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Nline6 said:
this is what i would do:

1 take out sun roof

2 get a peice of lexan to fill hole

and your done and you still have a some what sun roof,the benifits of no sun roof and save about $1500

-Brett

he did that before and it takes A LOT OF WORK.

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flatline IS said:
Daniel,
Did you get another IS3? What happened to the M?

The M3 was in an accident a month ago... as for an IS maybe, I am just looking in to things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts