Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

looks like one of my bulbs is shot. Both lamps turn on except one side stays really purple then shuts off, i'm assuming the bulb is gone. I'm looking at picking up a set of new bulbs. Any recommendations on places to buy bulbs? OEM or Phillips i'm looking at i want something that is going to last. I'm either going to get 4300k or 6000k. Any idea?

thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Where are you located ?
I can get you a pair of new oem ones .

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I can get them for about 140 for the pair in d2r or d2s in any color with a minimum 1 year warranty but checking ebay they are about 100 for a set .
let me know.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i'd rather take used oem bulbs, rather than aftermarket new ones of lesser quality.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
i'd rather take used oem bulbs, rather than aftermarket new ones of lesser quality.
Are there different levels of HID bulbs like there are in halogen bulbs? For example in Halogens you can get regular bulbs, long life bulbs, higher intensity bulbs, varying light patterns, etc. Or are all HID bulbs pretty much the same with the exception of colour temperature?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Their are only a few variations to factory oem Phillips bulbs. Phillips makes all oem bulbs in

d2r for reflectors that have a shaded stripe on them.
D2s for shielded that have no stripe because the headlamp has it the cutoff built into it to stop glare called a Casper shield .
D2c which fits both is a newer version but is universal for both i hear with increased lumen's (light output) by not having the shield.
they are all available in colours K (kelvin)
4100-4300k oem
5000k xenarc, used mostly in German apps
6000 k Philips, Ultinon expensive
the last version is a color shifted bulb to match a single replacement bulb . Say you have one bulb blow well the new bulb will be yellow until it beds in at 5 hours of use . A colour shifted one is a bulb that is already matched to a bedded in bulb in a more white blueish colour.

No OEM Phillips bulbs come with pigtails or a wiring harness they all are straight bulbs with a base for a socket.
Their are fake Phillips being sold cheap with Phillips painted on them for less than $100. They will work but should not be compared to oem with a usual life of 5 years.

learn everything here in a quick FAQ
HiDPlanet.com :: Log in

The ones i can get are aftermarket in Oem d2r/s style and in kelvin ratings of 3000k-12 000k.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The Philips Ultinon looks better than the conventional 4300K... but how do they work in the rain? (since blue light refracts more) Also what's the cost comparison?

·
Registered
175 Posts
is the phillips ultinon just plug into the stop harness plug or is there mods u have to do?? and also where can u get them and how much do the usually cost?? thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
i'd be interested in getting a pair of the phillips ultinon depending on their price and if its oem compatible with no modifications needed to get them in.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The 6000 k Philips, Ultinons are expensive about 300 a set if you are lucky .
They are comparable to the PIAA HID bulbs of about the same price. I actually would bet they are the same ones .
They are plug and play and go into a factory harness like all oem D2R/S bulbs.

The output is lower in lumen's but not huge , they look better on a car like the one pictured above as it has a sharp cutoff in the headlights like German cars to show the blue frequency .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i ended up getting a set of brand new OEM replacements online to get me by still have my eyes on a set of Philips Ultinon bulbs. However i'm having a hard time swapping out the driver side bulb. Do you need to take out the headlight to change this bulb or can i do it while it's on the car? My hand can barely fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts