Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing front and back brake pads, rotors and calipers

Not looking to race this car, just enjoy it as a daily driver.

Looking for a good deal and suggestions on where to buy..,

If you have any other suggestions for me... I’m listening!

Thanks in advance!

Christa

Just got 4 new tires (215/45r17) and an alignment.. so brakes are next.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't have an IS300 yet, but for my cars I usually buy my brakes at rockauto.com. Lots of variety of brake pads and rotors (and other car parts) from many different manufacturers. I would use Akebono brake pads as they are the OE supplier for Lexus's brake pads, and they are made of ceramic (which produce less brake dust) and lasts long. Any brake rotor will do (search the forum for different opinions). You don't need to change the brake caliper unless they are seized.

Use discount code MMF195 at checkout when they ask you "How Did You Hear About Us?" to get 5% off your order (just found the code by Googling it, I'm not sponsored).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response! I have been struggling to figure out where and what because it seems the pricing is all over the place online... ya know!
If you want to see the current crazy conditions of the brakes... feel free to check out my pictures each labeled “B” in my album of all the craziness that’s wrong with this new to me car.
https://www.clublexus.com/g/album/5479533

From what I can tell... there are NO pads on the rear brakes... so yeah it seems like we need to go all out to fix this.

What do you think?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would say you can go all out and change everything if you have the budget for it. Otherwise from the pictures I still think your front brake pads still have lots of life left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for checking it out! I thought so as well... so I’m going to go all out on the rear brakes for now!! Thanks again for your suggestions!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Rockauto is my go to place first. If your brakes dont seem to work, the calipers could be seized. Good time to replace all four calipers, pads and rotors. Dont buy the cardone powder coated calipers, they leak. What I found though was brembo rotors for $50 ea. Thats a good price and worth the money. You may find stainless brake lines as well. They sell stoptech lines for $35/pair every now and then. Might be a good time to replace the brake fluid with ATE 200 dot 4. Ebay is where I get mine for $15-20.

If you buy reman calipers, be prepared to paint them with a good epoxy type paint. They come in bare steel and rust quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts