Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instructions that came with the guage (Defi BF) said the sensor should be installed in the exhaust manifold. Can it be mounted on the down pipe? Does it matter where it goes? Where is your EGT sensor?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
I have mine on my DP...funny, just installed my EGT fitting about 20mins ago too for my new DEFI BF gauge...

pic from my old set up, but same location/same DP...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Mine was on the DP, as well as most turbo IS's that I have seen.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would suggest putting it as close as you can to the #6 cylinder on your manifold.
How would the opperation of the sensor be effected if it was not near the # 6 cylinder? Would the temp reading just be a lil lower than it really is?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
isnt the #6 cylinder the one that is most prone to overheating? someone correct me if im wrong.
With things being equal i.e injectors flowing the same, there's no fuel or timing trims on any cylinders...normally #6 runs the hottest so the exhaust temperature in theory would be higher than the other cylinders. So you would want the highest temperature reading possible thus installing the probe on runner 6.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
So......the down pipe is ok then?
You can, there's pros & cons for installing in the downpipe vs in a runner vs the collector. If you install the probe in the downpipe (post turbo), the reading will be lower than what it would be pre turbo. The main thing is to compare your EGT readings to what is considered safe post turbo if you do decide to install it in the downpipe. Keep the temperature readings relative to the location of the probe. Again you can install it in the downpipe, it's all a tuner preference, some like the highest temperature reading available but you're limited to that 1 cylinder while others like an average of all the cylinders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts