Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where the amp is ? I wanted to find the speaker wires that come out of it. I wanted to hook up an alpine deck and see if the speakers sound ok, or if they are going to sound like shit. Also, Does anybody know if the tweeters have x-overs built in, or are they in the amp ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
handy-man said:
I was wondering where the amp is ? I wanted to find the speaker wires that come out of it. I wanted to hook up an alpine deck and see if the speakers sound ok, or if they are going to sound like sh*t. Also, Does anybody know if the tweeters have x-overs built in, or are they in the amp ?

Thanks.
The factory amp has 6 channels, 2 for the front and 4 for the back.

The two in the front are crossed high at around 90 or 100Hz (not sure exactly) and expect a 4ohm load.

Two of the back are crossed low at around 100Hz (again not sure exactly), but expect 2ohm load.

The remaining two in the back get the rest of the frequencies and expect a 4ohm load.

Therefore, hooking up an aftermarket headunit to these speakers will sound sh*tty not only because the stock speakers weren't designed to work at the full spectrum of frequencies, but also because just about all aftermarket headunits all expect a 4ohm load. (not to mention 6 channels vs. 4 channels)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts