Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for nothing fancy, but just to do a side (left or right ) 12 inch sub box fiberglass work. this should reduce the weight of the current box i have right now. any suggestions? good places to drop it off and can pick it up fast (since it's not a major work) and price wise..
anyone?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
a couple things...a fiberglass box probably wont reduce weight, might add weight....they usually build a frame/box out of MDF and then overlay fiberglass....a straight fiberglass enclusure might not support a 12" sub...

and for the most part...in my experiences, fiberglassing isnt a thing where you can drop off today and pick up tomorrow....its a very careful process if you want it done right...

fiberglassing for my trunk took a few months actually...

but what do i know....good luck with your quest....

·
Registered
150 Posts
JAEohEN said:
a couple things...a fiberglass might not reduce weight, might add weight....they usually build a frame/box out of PDF and then overlay fiberglass....a straight fiberglass enclusure might not support a 12" sub...

and for the most part...in my experiences, fiberglassing isnt a thing where you can drop off today and pick up tomorrow....its a very careful process if you want it done right...

what do you mean few months?! on pimp my ride they do it during the 30 minute show!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
^^damn seriously!!! that ISH be cookin things up quick....

FYI though....pimp my ride episodes at a minimum are really month long projects-thats what ive been told from a guy whos been on the show.......and i doubt their effort on a project for a mtv show is different than for a customer whos putting in dollars for work...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about where do people get their free up sub installed, any pic?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
JAEohEN said:
a couple things...a fiberglass might not reduce weight, might add weight....they usually build a frame/box out of PDF and then overlay fiberglass....a straight fiberglass enclusure might not support a 12" sub...

he's right, i would listen to him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
im not sure what your're talking about. but if you're talking about a box on each side of the trunk. then i would have to say that it would take about a day. 2 at the most.
jaeohen is correct on the weight part. it adds more weight to your car. because of the extra peices of MDF that would be used. if its something small, for like a 8" or 10" then it wouldnt weigh a lot, but neither would just making a normal box. i have a fiberglass enclosure that i made myself. i have 3- 12" subs in my Honda Prelude. and 2- 10" subs in my IS300. so im not sure about what you mean by saying it wont support a 12". as for picking it up in a day or two?, it depends on the size of the enclosure. obviously more extravagent or bigger projects take long. hope this helps. Most audio places can do it. Best Buy, Circuit city can do it aswell, its just that they're cheaper. if i knew exactly what city you lived in, then i could recommend some stores. but yeah i hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
so im not sure about what you mean by saying it wont support a 12". as for picking it up in a day or two?
did you give it a MDF frame? fiberglass by itself unless layered amazingly, insnt too sturdy...thats what i mean....the author wanted to reduce weight and the only way i could think of cutting down weight is to not even give it a frame and just glass it....thats why i mentioned that.....

as for picking it up in a day or two?, it depends on the size of the enclosure. obviously more extravagent or bigger projects take long. hope this helps. Most audio places can do it. Best Buy, Circuit city can do it aswell, its just that they're cheaper.
in my experiences, i havent seen a 2 day turnaround for a fiberglassed enclosure....especially if your getting from a reputable shop...it probably wont be a 1 or 2 day turnaround...

and to my knowledge....im almost 100% sure that best buy and circuit city dont fiberglass...

·
Registered
23 Posts
JAEohEN said:
did you give it a MDF frame? fiberglass by itself unless layered amazingly, insnt too sturdy...thats what i mean....the author wanted to reduce weight and the only way i could think of cutting down weight is to not even give it a frame and just glass it....thats why i mentioned that.....
i understand now. and agree with you on that.
and to my knowledge....im almost 100% sure that best buy and circuit city dont fiberglass...
yeah thats what i thought too, but when i went to circuit city to get my subs wired, they saw my crappy enclosure and asked if i wanted a job. and once before that at good guys, i asked out of curiousity and they said they do.

but the prices are outrageous, and they take wayyyy to long

1 - 11 of 11 Posts