Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a series of testing i'll be doing over the next oil change but wanted to get some thoughts from yall.

I have an 01 IS300 with ~102k miles on it. it had just under 101k miles when i bought it in July. So i have had it just under 3 months. I just finished doing the timing belt along with plugs, wires, water pump, seals and gaskets, new PCV, new oil pan, headers (because my cats were shot) and tons of other things that arent relevant i dont think. Also just did a trans fluid flush.

Put in 5.7 qts Mobile1 5W30 and Toyota filter when i did the oil change. Since doing the repairs, i have put just under 800 miles on it.

Now onto my issue. Yesterday i was leaving a store and started the car. I was sitting there idling and my low oil light came on. So I went directly home and checked it. Sure enough, nothing on the dips stick. WTH? So I added around 1.5 qts to get the oil level to finally get in between the dots on the dip stick. Again, it hasnt even been 800 miles since I did the oil.

Where has the oil gone? I leave no spots in the drive way. I have replaced all the seals but the rear main and the exterior of the motor is bone dry.

It has just finally started getting into fall weather here and I have noticed since putting on the header that the car seems to smoke a bit when warming up. I have a hard time telling if it is white smoke, steam, or if there may be some blue in it. And without the 2 primary cats, of course it smells terrible. Yesterday on a cold start it didnt smoke at all. Then after it started coming up to temp it started. Again, i cant tell if its the normal steam or if its smoke from oil burning. I have a video of that as well if it will help.

Note, this car seemed to have the oil changed every 5-6k miles but about once a year by the PO. It was not driven very much from the records so it sat a lot. The last recorded oil change before i bought is was January 2018 and ~6k miles was put on it from then to when I bought it.

I did a dry compression test before buttoning it all back up and i have attached the readings. I feel like my compression is very good. The difference in the low ones is from a little leak down I think from the time it took to get my phone and take the pics. I am wondering about cylinder 3 however. That was the worst condition of the old plugs i took out. The old plugs looked like crap when I removed them. The plug valley was full of oil from the leaking valve cover gaskets. I have pics of the old plugs if that would help.

I suppose i could have a bad valve or valve stem seal?

Thoughts? Seems like a LOT of oil lose in such a short time for it not to be blowing blue smoke like crazy or leaking it out. I am going to monitor it over the next oil change and few tanks of gas. And next change I am going to switch to conventional oil as a test. Also send some oil off for testing. I'll do a leak down test at some point as well.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
First, I would use a much heavier oil. Around 10w40 or better. This may help and with the mileage. I would be running it anyway. Also i would only do 3000 or 3 months on the oil changes.

Yes, cylinder 3 does seem a bit low. Have you done a leak down compression test?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that makes since. Yeah I was going to do 3k oil changes. Next change I’ll try a thicker oil.

Have not done a leak down yet but it is on the list as my text test.

And just this morning the car broke down pulling into my drive way. VVTi OCV went. I cleaned it and the screen when I did all the other maintenance but oh well. That’s another issue easily resolved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts