Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has this plastic thing in his trunk. It looks a over-sized plastic book ends, except it was originally design to keep luggage from sliding around in trunks. I have no idea what it is called, and I can't find it anywhere, but I really need it as my sub with amp mounted on it keeps on falling over backwards whenever I gas up. Please help, thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Can you describe what you are talking about a bit more?

PS: You got the box finally? How does it sound? Pics?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ItalynStylion

I got it. I put it in. It sounds fine. I don't have a photo of the thing I'm talking about, as I've only seen it in person. If I knew what it was call, maybe I can find a photo for it. Right now, my trunk is still messy as I am not at the tidying up phase yet. But otherwise, any brilliant ideas on how to prevent it from tipping over? Thanks.

Johnny

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It looks literally like a bookend, but bigger, made out of hard plastic, and has spiked feet on the bottom to grip on to carpet.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Interesting....your buddy has an IS300 and those came stock? I didn't get those for sure. Maybe you can bolt something to the top of the box and the underside of the rear deck?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My buddy has a RSX, and those were not stock. He got it from somewhere, and originally they were for luggages so that they don't slide around. I would prefer to go this route than to nail/bolt more stuff to my trunk. :D

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah those look just like book ends! i wouldn't want to be putting any more stuff in my trunk if i was you either!
No no, the picture I posted are of actual bookend's. I was only illustrating my point. I can't find pictures of it as I dunno what it is called and can't find the images for it. :(

I've placed actual bookends in my car for now. But they're the flimsy tin kind at Staples, and I fear they'll fold over when the sub fall over.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
How tall are these things? You're saying that the box falls over because of the weight of the amp but the box does not slide correct?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sliding. It rolls over backwards. The thing is about 6" tall.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hmm...I also need some suggestions for mounting my box...I don't want to have to drill through any carpet or anything, but everytime I go over a bump my amp, which is mounted on top of my box hits the top of my trunk =(...

·
Registered
231 Posts
will velcro on the bottom stick to the carpet???? just an idea... you know kinda like the first aid thing sticks to the carpet :D

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Obviously the best solution is to mount it. But if you don't want to do that, velcro might be an option.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
k, I have a an idea. Velcro is very weak when you pull it apart. BUT velcro is very strong if you try to slide them past each other. Instead of putting velcro on the thin bottom edge, I'll put velcro on the face facing the back of the seat. So when the sub wants to tip over, instead of pulling part the velcro it'll have to slide past the velcro, which will be very tough. In addition, more torque can be applied by the velcro, and more velcro can be used.

Now, my question is what can I use to glue the velcro to the carpet? I can't stitch the velcro to the carpet on the back as there is a plastic lining, thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
drill holes and stitch or something... i've been drinking so i have no idea if this will work or not.... but hey it makes sense to me
lol

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just realised velcro will adhere to the carpet lining of the trunk. Gonna staple velcro to sub box tomorrow and see .....

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup you did! My bad.

Reactions: flop170
1 - 20 of 21 Posts