Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you're interested in a bra for the looks, then skip this post.

If you are looking to protect your vehicle's front end from rock chips, I suggest getting clear 3M coating applied to as much of the front end as you care to do. I'm referring to the specialized self-adhesive poly that is made for automotive paint protection. It is crystal clear, fade resistant (will not yellow), and is thick enough to withstand most of the road debris that is small enough to not dent the car. Many manufacturers use small chunks of it for things like behind the wheels or under rear wipers (where they rest on the paint).

Usually people apply this coating from 6 - 12" up on the leading edge of the hood. You can also cover the front bumper and any other area of the car (mirrors, doorsill, lower rear of wheelwell, etc.). It is surprisingly flexible, and can conform to all but the most difficult compound body curves. Great stuff! It's what I'm doing to my IS when it arrives.

Ask your local auto detailer or body shop about it (or the dealer). Doing a 8" section along the front of the hood will probably cost $65 - $95.

[This message has been edited by MNSpectraBlueIS (edited July 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It'll be well worth the cost...much less than having it repainted plus peace of mind.

BTW, do you know the exact name of the coating? I looked all over the 3M website and didn't find anything that matches.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited July 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the website is www.xpel.com. i sure would like to see a car with this stuff on it. also one that had the stuff on and then taken off to make sure it doesnt take the paint with it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is it noticeable when you look at it? I want some thing that protects but doesn't affect the beauty of the car. Anyone actually tried out the coating?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That site has the car listed as "IS300/400".
Maybe its just the model number for the bra or something. Too bad they don't have a picture of the bra on the car itself...anyone have one??

·
Registered
537 Posts
The name of the actual 3M material is '3M ScotchCal'. The web site mentioned above (X-pel) seems to have a good price for the stuff, especially since it's pre-cut. Another site that does it is www.stoneguard.com, but they seem really expensive.

Check around at local auto body or detail shops to see if they have someone who applies this stuff. I would recommend going that way instead of do-it-yourself. If applied well, there is absolutely no way to tell it's there except for places where there's an edge that doesn't meet the edge of a body panel. About the only spot for that normally is the one line across the hood about 6" up from the leading edge. Even then, the line is VERY subtle and does not show unless you're looking hard for it.

Rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
The clear bra is very cool. I have a black IS and all the black cars I have seen have scratched and chipped hoods from the highways. Has anyone seen the clear bra on a car and can tell if its noticeable as to where the clear coat stops?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Black Ice
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing