Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found this site and think it's great. I have a problem with my IS which is practically new (which means I notice EVERY little annoying detail). There are all kinds of noises coming from everywhere!! The most annoying is the one coming from the driver side door, which sounds like the door is loose when going over bumps. It may just be the window because I don't notice it with it down, but then again...that might be because of the excess wind noise. Then there is the rattling noise coming from the dash. I could swear that it's the trip meter button, because when I hold it down it stops. And this happens with extreme irregularities so it's impossible to point out. Third is the slight creaking noise coming from the roof area, or the sunroof. The service department said that they took care of that with some lubricating....yeah right! (I noticed it again on my way home from the dealer) Last but not least is the creaking noise from the shocks/suspension when I'm stepping out of my car. I took time out of my extremely busy schedule to take this car to the dealer, not once, not twice, but THREE times to try to get all of these, or at least the major ones taken care of...but the so-called "certified" technicians at my local Lexus dealers can't seem to detect any of these noises. In fact they look at me like I'm making this stuff up!! I'm now living with these annoying problems and it has taken all the fun out of driving what is otherwise an extremely nice car! I must have gotten at least 50 comments about it and have also caught this guy taking a picture of his girlfriend in front of my car. Has anyone else had these problems?..and if so...can you tell me how to convince the service department to take care of them? I know that this is probable a somewhat of an isolated occurance because I have yet to see someone as unsatisfied with his IS than me...but that would all be resolved if these damn noises went away!! I get a distinct feeling that I've been sold a "lemon" IS 300...and although asking them to replace it for another one might be asking for too much...I may have to go that route if they can't detect the noises. It's either that or to sell it and buy a BMW which I really do NOT want to do.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Man, thats a long [email protected]@ post!
But anyways why dont you ask the service techs to ride with you so you can point out the problems you are having, they can't deny it then. I have not had these problems, but I am sure others have. I like the part about the guy and his girl taking pics. Well I don't think you should of got a 325 though, thats just me, I love my SBM!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Oh, I just noticed you put 325xi, all wheel drive is bad, I had a Subaru Impreza RS but still would stick with the IS!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should probably try that...but the noises are that persistant that it'll happen everytime with any predictability...and I don't know if he'll be able to hear them as well from the passanger side.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Have the Lexus tech drive the car while you sit in the passenger side and point out the noises. If you are not satisfied with the service you are receiving by this dealership, you can always take it to another dealership (your warranty will be honored).

After you've exhausted all your options through the service department, you can contact Lexus directly at 1.800.25.LEXUS to escalate the issue. They are very attentive and make customer service a high priority.

Good luck!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yep, as has been stated, take one of the guys with you and point out the problems. Then if that doesn't work, go to another dealer and then call Lexus America to air out your problems, etc.

Or you can try and fix the problems yourself. I have some excessive windnoise around the left rear passenger window...I found what was cuaisng it and basically fixed it myself.

BTW, BMWs are not better built so I don't know why you think you should've bought a BMW. I know a guy who got a 328 coupe and he says it's put togteher quite poorly inside.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies. I have taken it to two different dealers and either of them seem to be able to detect it or are playing dumb. I went on the ride with one of the technicians, but he was going extremely slow to make anything rattle or shake enough to make any noised over the bumps, and then claimed that "speed shouldn't matter" when it came to noises"..WTF?!? And the other dealer claimed that the noises were coming probably coming from my keychain/or change in the ashtray!! I think I can tell the difference between noises coming from the car and noises coming from keychain or change. And they were about to close and I really needed a car (and I didn't get a loaner because they claimed I needed to schedule for one). I am fed up. Calling Lexus directly seems like a good idea...but what can they really do? I want them to come pick up my car, drop off a loaner, and fix all the problems before they bring it back! I am extremely pissed that I have taken two half days off of work without even getting the problem fixed! Do they think that I'm having fun bringing my car in for service?!? They act like I'm making up these noises!
oh well?!? ...and what's up with that ECU updates?? I noticed the hesitations in lower gears and shifting, but I thought that was normal. I guess it's back to the service department...yet again and they'll probably claim that I'm making this up too!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I WAS going to wait until i actually needed the 5K service, but the noises are really starting to get to me. It's not even fun driving it anymore! Now I'm getting noises from the CD changer and also the springs/shocks! I made an appointment to take it into the Englewood dealer (Thanks Triz for the recommendation), to also the get 5K service as well, although it's about 700 miles shy. I also qualify for the ecu updates as well and i think they are going to order the parts for me. Hopefully they'll be able to fix these noises this time...the THIRD time better be the charm!!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
At my first track event, I was dogging a 325Xi around the track for two laps cause the pinhead refused to wave me past - he almost lost it on the same turn twice, drawing a nasty comment from my instructor. Then the same guy runs over someones stuff in the padock. So I'm not a big fan of the 325Xi.

Originally posted by VVTIS:
Oh, I just noticed you put 325xi, all wheel drive is bad, I had a Subaru Impreza RS but still would stick with the IS!

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
I bought my IS two months ago and I have all kind of noise also. I know exactly how you feel. One is from the sunroof switch area when the sunroof is tilt. One from the passenger A pillar, one from the driver side that I couldn't locate. I also hear noise from the suspension when I get off my car. The IS uses hard plastic which is prone to squeaks and having the stiff suspension does help. I went to the dealer at least 8 times to try to get everything resolved. I am at point where I just kind of accept it. I am tired of the whole thing. I suspect that it will get worse as the car gets older. Hard plastic and stiff ride don't go well together!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts