Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if/when Lexus has plans to increase the hp/trorque of the IS?

thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Direct Injection version of the 1JZ and 2JZ are already available in Japan. They do have a little more "catalogue" power compared to conventional 1JZ-GE and 2JZ-GE.

However, I remember TEG saying that the Gasoline sold in the US is not suitable for Direct Injection Gasoline Engines. If that is the case, I don't think it will be put on the export models. However, all Mitsubishi cars sold in Japan have GDI, I wonder if Mitsus sold in the US are GDI. Then there is a possibility of more "catalogue" powerful engines being installed in the IS300.

BUT! The Direct Injections engines are said to have less torque when in actual driving. Though on the catalogues they may have more torque and power, due to that the engine wants to burn gas in the "lean" mixture to save fuel, you don't get as much power as conventional engines especially when you punch the accerelator. Hopefully there will be more technological advancements in Gasoline direct injection.

I haven't heard anything about the 1JZ and 2JZ having a model change, so it might be a while until cars like IS and GS have a new inline 6. Though it will most likely be an Aluminum block.

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited January 24, 2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts