Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering when exactly you should change shocks? I'm way way over the mileage recommendation for changing shocks but my ride is still fairly stiff. I don't have any leakages on the strut bodies and I don't hear any awkward noises.

Basically I'm considering putting Eibach lowing springs on my car... but I don't want to take things apart to put the springs on and then a short while later have to change the shocks as well.

So what should I be looking for? If the car rides fine... should I just leave them alone and leave the extra money in my pocket?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I was wondering when exactly you should change shocks? I'm way way over the mileage recommendation for changing shocks but my ride is still fairly stiff. I don't have any leakages on the strut bodies and I don't hear any awkward noises.

Basically I'm considering putting Eibach lowing springs on my car... but I don't want to take things apart to put the springs on and then a short while later have to change the shocks as well.

So what should I be looking for? If the car rides fine... should I just leave them alone and leave the extra money in my pocket?
Did you actually inspect the shocks from under the vehicle? Mine seemed fine as well at 150,000 km's.....then I found a leak on one of the rear ones.

Digger08

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey,

anybody know which shocks should I use if I wanna lower my car?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I will have a set of Koni Yellows and Eibach Prokits for sale soon. Great damper and spring combination. Probably the best out there as an adjustable damper without a coilover set up.

I just need to take some pics. The units are all together, so the installation will be easier (ie, no spring compressor needed). This set up usually runs $900 brand new.

Asking $600.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I will have a set of Koni Yellows and Eibach Prokits for sale soon. Great damper and spring combination. Probably the best out there as an adjustable damper without a coilover set up.

I just need to take some pics. The units are all together, so the installation will be easier (ie, no spring compressor needed). This set up usually runs $900 brand new.

Asking $600.
How long were they used for and how much life would still be left, rough estimate of course.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
They were on the car for 2 summers and 1 winter. Koni has a lifetime warranty. I really can't guesstimate a lifetime, but these dampers are supposed to outlast the life of the car. Springs are in excellent shape too. And I'm also throwing in the top-mounts (a Lexus OEM part) which were brand new when I installed the set up.

These dampers are EXCELLENT ride for the street and occasional track. They offer full adjustment with knobs (provided) and in my opinion, are the best non-coilover damper available for the IS300.

I'm only selling because I put on MOTONS, otherwise, I would have totally kept this setup.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Asking $600.
Hmm... looks like all of my suspension question related threads are turning into For Sale threads for lexusecutive. :p lol

$600 for springs and shocks sounds pretty good depending on how much punishment the suspension has gone thru.

When you set up your suspension... did you have the Koni's on the lower perch in addition to the lowering springs?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anybody confirmed what the stock shocks are? Are they KYB all around? Or KYB on the fronts and Tokico's on the back?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you actually inspect the shocks from under the vehicle? Mine seemed fine as well at 150,000 km's.....then I found a leak on one of the rear ones.

Digger08
I personally haven't inspected the shocks from under the car recently. But I haven't heard any comments about them during previous maintenance services. The shocks currently seem fine... even if they are old. When going over bumps... the car goes down and then right back up to normal ride height. It doesn't bounce. When at a garage recently I was talking to the owner... and he says he's seen shocks on various Toyota's go on and on and on.

So today I placed an order for an Eibach Pro-Kit set of springs. That should close up the wheel gap and lower the car without sacrificing drive-ability or practicality. I saw how the Eibach Sportline springs made the rear wheels tuck into wheel-well/body a bit... so that would have been too low.

So my suspension set-up will be Eibach sway-bars, Eibach Pro-Kit springs and stock shocks. So I'm essentially going to have an L-Tuned suspension now. :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
awww Crester. You totally should have bought my set up. It was all ready to go as a damper and compressed spring set up. Just bolt it in!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lexusecutive... I know you're offering a good deal. If I was to buy your stuff from TireRack it would cost $900. But... I always like buying new stuff. Happyslip offered me his L-Tuned sway bars... but I still ended up buying new just because I could know how they were treated from day one. Sorry... I mean Happysmp. Happy Slip Productions

The reason I got the Borla catback from you was because firstly I doubted there was much that could go wrong with an exhaust... and it visually looked good. Plus I got it from you for less than half the price of the regular retail price... and it was still less than their "clearance" price.

Thanks for that exhaust still! I really enjoy the extra growl when pushing the car... and the fact that it sounds stock quiet when driving gently. Oddly enough I don't hear the "air rush" sound from inside the car. The exhaust sounds way quieter than your wife's.

My springs are currently at the UPS distribution center in the city... so hopefully I'll get them tomorrow (Friday). I was talking to an installer that was mentioned on the forum previously... and while he has no problem doing the job was persistent in me understanding "the risks". He says on a car "that old" :blush: there's a good chance that bolts could be seized. If the bolts are not seized he says it'll be easy as pie to do the install... but if they are seized... he's warning me it's going to be a big headache and likely things will break.

Oh well... hopefully things will go okay. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
You will destroy your OE shocks within a summer of driving on the Eibach's. The OE shocks are not valved to be riding in the position you will put it in due to the Eibach's. And once you put on another new set of OE's, you'll blow those out within a year. You'll have a VERY choppy uncontrollable ride.

Even if you don't buy the Koni's from me, I highly recommend getting a damper that is designed to be on a lowered car. Even Tokico Illumina's if you're not going to be track-ing much.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have the Bilstein shocks and I'm pretty happy with them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They've come in...

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
nice. now u need some dampers. don't destroy those OE shocks.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^ and marc I'm assuming you're car is your daily driver only right?

lexusecutive... I've been talking to a number of people about this... including the guy who will hopefully install the springs next week. These Eibach springs provide such a "subtle" change that some people are saying it shouldn't fuck over your stock shocks unless you are tracking it and stuff.

So since it's a daily driver... people are saying I should be okay. When Lexus put these on the L-Tuned cars... they put them on stocks right?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
actually the Lexus offered kit is a Koni Yellow.

If you daily drive the car, you wont' really notice anything except that after a few months of so, your damper will not dampen the oscillations after a bump. So the car seems "floaty". That is a damaged damper.

OE dampers are meant for a comfy ride at stock ride height.

I highly suggest you get some dampers too.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
actually the Lexus offered kit is a Koni Yellow.

If you daily drive the car, you wont' really notice anything except that after a few months of so, your damper will not dampen the oscillations after a bump. So the car seems "floaty". That is a damaged damper.

OE dampers are meant for a comfy ride at stock ride height.

I highly suggest you get some dampers too.
Initial comments after installing the Eibach springs...

I'm surprised to see that the ride quality really hasn't changed much at all. Even the majority of damping seems to be fine as well.

What I am finding tho is that really minor motions appear to be a bit bouncy. So for example if I'm driving on a portion of highway that has an undulating surface... the car will feel like it's nervous. But other than that... larger bumps seem to be soaked up fine... and cruising seems fine as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts