Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do people plan on switching their current rims out for the winter time and put on their snow tires or stock rims back on. i heard it snowed up in MA this morning but not enough to do anything. just wondering what people are thinking? you think MD is going to get hit with the same kind of snow storm that we got hit with last year?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
heh.. i don't switch rims.. i ride on the 17s with summer tires!!

but seriously.. i am definitely going to have to look for some winters or drive the mini for the winter...

·
Registered
750 Posts
absimp_is300 said:
i'm putting my Volks in the house when the first sign of snow hits here and put on the blizzak 16s.

How are the blizzaks in the snow btw? What are the strengths and weaknesses if any? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big V

How are the blizzaks in the snow btw? What are the strengths and weaknesses if any? Thanks!
i have the Blizzaks WS-50 which is different from the LM-22 that most people have. the LM-22 is also a snow tire but it also has better performance qualities that allows you to drive safely at higher speeds. the LM-22 is H rated so i think you can drive up to 130mph. the WS-50 is a more pure snow tire it's not rated for more than 90mph.

i like the WS-50 a lot and then grip through the snow with no problems, even with last year's big snow storm, i never got stuck and never lost control of the car. even if you try to throw the rear around, the tires grip and make it kinda hard to do. if you do get this tires, don't run on them when Spring comes around because the tires are very soft and make you feel like you are driving on 4 flat tires. other than that, great tire.

·
8,852 Posts
Once it starts snowing, off come the stock all-seasons and there go the 16" LM22s.
When it warms up in the spring, the switch will be done.

I learned a tough lesson 2 seasons ago not to put summer tires on too early... at least not to drive on summer tires if it starts snowing all of a sudden.

·
Registered
750 Posts
absimp_is300 said:
Big V

i have the Blizzaks WS-50 which is different from the LM-22 that most people have. the LM-22 is also a snow tire but it also has better performance qualities that allows you to drive safely at higher speeds. the LM-22 is H rated so i think you can drive up to 130mph. the WS-50 is a more pure snow tire it's not rated for more than 90mph.

i like the WS-50 a lot and then grip through the snow with no problems, even with last year's big snow storm, i never got stuck and never lost control of the car. even if you try to throw the rear around, the tires grip and make it kinda hard to do. if you do get this tires, don't run on them when Spring comes around because the tires are very soft and make you feel like you are driving on 4 flat tires. other than that, great tire.

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about buying the LM-22's or purchasing a used car if I can find one for a decent price.

·
Registered
536 Posts
absimp_is300 said:
When do people plan on switching their current rims out for the winter time and put on their snow tires or stock rims back on. i heard it snowed up in MA this morning but not enough to do anything. just wondering what people are thinking? you think MD is going to get hit with the same kind of snow storm that we got hit with last year?
prolly around christmas or so, unless we get hit earlier. which would be sucking.
:chill:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.