Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Lexus IS300

I currently have 114,000 miles on my car and I've replaced the water pump and timing belt last year. When should I replace the spark plugs? How do I know when I have to replace them or do I just wait until one of them dies? I had a car that had a bad plug and it was not fun driving that thing home. I would like to avoid that if possible!

BTW, how much would the stealer charge? I've taken my car to Toyota for other things, most recently being the belt and pump. Cost me $700 while lexus wanted $1800.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If you have NEVER done them, then you are approaching the end of its lifetime. Iridium last up to 120k. People usually get them changed out every 90k with iridium plugs. Some anal people like myself change em out at 60k. Get em done soon!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is highly recommended to do it at 90K.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I could swear the manual says to change plugs at 60K. Mine were done at 60K and at 117K, one of the plugs were misfiring so I had to change them early, spent $302 at the stealership with new wires...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
good to know. I just got my IS with 85k im gona get on that soon.
look up the 90K service
timing belt
water pump while you are there
check for Oil leaks, cam seals
new timing belt tensioner
spark plugs

more if you are so inclined !!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
if you go by what lexus says.... every 60k for plugs and 90k for timing belt ... water pump optional but recommended!!!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
not really sure why some cars had platinum plugs and others had iridium but those with the platinum ones should change every 60k and the iridiums I think are 120k (they may be 90k)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
when you think about it plugs should last so many firings, but since that depends on use how can you tell?
Marine engines and aircraft go by running hours.

So the factory ratings are probably very conservative anyway.

I still don't know why the change interval recommended by Lexus for the 2004 manual is 60K compared to 90 K quoted here or Toyota's 120K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.