Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is back to stock ride height. But the rears are too tucked into the fender. I'd like it to be a little more flush (ill roller aside).

Tell me more about wheels spacers and what they do besides push my wheels out.

Will this effect camber? Will I rub? What's a good amount I should push them out without them looking retarded? Will I need longer lug nut studs?

+rep+ like usual.

·
Registered
752 Posts
the new ichiba v2 spacers require NO extended studs - I had posted a topic on this a little while back..v1s do require the extended studs and if you do extended studs in the rear you're going to be a lot of extra work from what I've read here.

I think the most common setup for stock rim flush look is 15mm fronts and 25mm rears. that's what I've got in the works...supposedly isn't supposed to rub.

as far as camber goes idk... did you get realigned after putting your height back to stock already?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
don't run spacers Pete, you are just extending the load/break points of the hub which is never a good thing. I have seen guys run spacers and regret it when the studs or spacers come off during a turn or not even. I have seen it first hand and heard a lot of horror stories. Plus knowing you, you like to do some spirited driving every now and then.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Interesting....Perhaps those horrid stories are from people who didn't get the correct spacers that are hubcentric or installed them incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^^^ Even the hubcentric spacers would fail eventually due to the load/forces when applied exponentially like going through a turn @ over a G. Just like the differences between a mechanical connection or a welded connection, the differences in rigidity from a welded cage and a bolt on cage. The point of connection between the hub and the wheel was never engineered to be extended out hence the transfer of load is altered and ultimately compromised. Will it work for the average driver.. sure. Will it work for someone who drives aggressively? Not for me. Just like any engineering design, there are tolerances factored in but is it worth the risk for "the flush look" ? That in my opinion is not worth it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
^^^ Even the hubcentric spacers would fail eventually due to the load/forces when applied exponentially like going through a turn @ over a G. Just like the differences between a mechanical connection or a welded connection, the differences in rigidity from a welded cage and a bolt on cage. The point of connection between the hub and the wheel was never engineered to be extended out hence the transfer of load is altered and ultimately compromised. Will it work for the average driver.. sure. Will it work for someone who drives aggressively? Not for me. Just like any engineering design, there are tolerances factored in but is it worth the risk for "the flush look" ? That in my opinion is not worth it.
shiiit!
I never heard of this...

I also would like to get someone to comment on this thread that this has happened to them first hand.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't run spacers Pete, you are just extending the load/break points of the hub which is never a good thing. I have seen guys run spacers and regret it when the studs or spacers come off during a turn or not even. I have seen it first hand and heard a lot of horror stories. Plus knowing you, you like to do some spirited driving every now and then.
Perfect, just what I needed to hear! Peeps should learn from this man!

I repped you and it won't let me so I owe you.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
I got him donkey, because I just dropped the IS and looking to make the stockers fit a tiny bit flusher. Definitely having second thoughts now, I mean I drive the car like your sister.

·
Registered
964 Posts
the wheel bearing shouldnt need replaced just putting in extended studs. i just swapped my rears yesterday. it was actually a very easy job that took about 1/2 hour and i just tapped them out very easily.

running aftermarket wheels with low offsets is essentially the same force as running spacers. the weight is extended out. the only difference is now you have 2 places they could possibly come apart if you dont know what your doing. i would recommend trying to do the stance without the spacers due to the fact that there is a chance of someone forgetting something. but the difference is minimal. they are uncommon and uncommon scares people. thats just my opinion though. ive been doing touge and drifting for about a year. the biggest problem ive ran into is getting the ones with the flush mount inner bolts that require a special tool. the tool bent on me and i had to cut one of the spacers off.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Been running spacers for a year and half. No problems! I drive like a mad man and my wheels have not fall off yet or the studs have not broken. I guess I'm just lucky. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^^^I disagree. Since we are talking about cars here I will use this analogy;think about how an engine is designed for a second here. You have the block and the head, and what is between them is the HG. The block is one piece, so is the head and where does it normally fail? yup you guessed it the HG. That being the weakest point in this design. Or better still grab a brick with your bare hand, now grab it with a thick glove. Now extend your arm with the brick in hand, to try to emulate stress on the connection. The mere transfer of force from the hand to the glove to the brick is more than just hand to brick. I can't put it any simpler than that. Furthermore I have been going touge, before it was even called touge. Been going up since 89 and yes I have seen a lot of kids flip their cars because of several factors and a few of them involved spacers. I even recall the first time i went to streets, several years ago when this place was still is300.net and a s2000 lost it due to spacers. There was a video of it on youtube back then.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
^^^hahaha. Dude, you are starting to scare me. I think I might take my spacers off now. lol. I am supercharging the car soon and from your explanations, I don't know if I should run spacers on a supercharged car. I do agree that it can be unsafe and all that, but like I said, I have been running it for a while and have yet to see any problems. It doesn't mean I won't run into a problem sooner or later. I will continue to run spacers for now. Taking the risk. Hopefully, you won't see me posting on here about my totaled car and the cause was my spacers. lol. ;)

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I've said this before in another thread about spacers...but I am going to say it again. If there are so many horror stories regarding kids flipping there cars and shit...or studs breaking off or whatnot because of the use of spacer, why then.. I haven't heard of any lawsuits against the well known established companies that make legit spacers...such as Ichiba, H&R, and project kics. I have heard of a lot of people running project kics in Japan because it's huge there. But have not heard of these type of incidents. The only ones I have heard is of people being dumb by not getting the right spacer for their car or not properly mounting them correctly or not using longer studs on spacers over 10mm.

I mean...wouldn't these companies stop selling their product if shit like this happened all the time?? I'm just playing devils advocate here....

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Regardless of anything, strength is compromised, period. So the question is if one wants to take the risk or not. Personally this is not an area that I would consider acceptable to push the envelope because of the potential consequences if there is a failure.

Car engineers always add in safety factors so spacer manufacturers that claim their spacers are safe have done their own calculations that may theoretically show that the loads do not exceed the breaking points which is all very well.....BUT this will lower the safety factor margin regarded to be appropriate in by the OEM so spacer users are disregarding this very much at their own risk.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I do agree with you guys though, I would rather not run spacers if I didn't have to. Unfortunately, my wheel offsets only come in +40 :(. If I had the money to get new wheels with the right offsets, I would. So to anyone that is looking to buy some wheels, make sure you buy one with the right offsets that way you can avoid running spacers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.