Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its been known that bigger wheels will slow down ur car...but is it a considerable downgrade in speed from 19's to 18's? i was planning on getting 19's but a friend keeps telling me my car will get a lot slower and harsher ride.

Reactions: RyISan

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Do some searching for an answer to you question.

To ease the tension, yes the bigger the rim, the slower. But, usually it's not enough to notice. Your car won't get A LOT slower but it would be slower. It's more rotating mass. If you find an extremely lightweight set, then it would be a non issue. If you are a track racer, I'd stay away from 19's but other wise, go for 18's and get the best of both worlds.

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
yea itll make a diffrence from 19 to 18s. 19 IMO are basicly for show.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Im not sure what im feeling but after I got my 19's installed, it felt like my car got faster lol. When I punch the gas...the car feels more powerful than before....it pulls quickly. Maybe because the traction...not too sure. But I didnt notice it is harder to break. The ride havent changed much except for the fact Im always trying to dodge little ripples on the road.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
News Flash but our car isn't alll that fast anyways so it doesn't matter to me.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Ya don't say......I still like my slug though

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
This is crazy.....Maybe my sense of perception is screwed up or some of you guys have some keen super hero senses!!!!! My 19's weigh 24.8lbs and I believe the stock wheels weight about 22lbs (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So thats a difference of 11.2 pounds. Sorry I just cant feel that 11.2lbs. I'm not saying it doesnt slow your car down, ofcourse it does...thats basic physics. I'm just saying I dont notice it.....

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
It's not as simple as a static 11.2 lbs.

You're forgetting the fact that it's rotating mass as well as having a higher moment of inertia. Additionally, it's increased unsprung weight which reduces handling. With the higher moment of inertia, it's gyroscopic effects will reduce willingness to turn at high speeds. Less rubber also mean significantly worse ride as well as reduced traction since the rubber does not conform to the road. Not to mention the fact that wheels and tires are more expensive and the fact that you WILL be repairing those wheels sometime down the road and possibly replacing tires because of pinch bubbles.

But of course, you get a whole extra inch which is way more important than all those things.

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
It's not as simple as a static 11.2 lbs.

You're forgetting the fact that it's rotating mass as well as having a higher moment of inertia. Additionally, it's increased unsprung weight which reduces handling. With the higher moment of inertia, it's gyroscopic effects will reduce willingness to turn at high speeds. Less rubber also mean significantly worse ride as well as reduced traction since the rubber does not conform to the road. Not to mention the fact that wheels and tires are more expensive and the fact that you WILL be repairing those wheels sometime down the road and possibly replacing tires because of pinch bubbles.

But of course, you get a whole extra inch which is way more important than all those things.
I agree with the whole rotating mass factor. No doubt the ride is no where as smooth and comfortable as stockies. I dont know about the reduced traction, I actually feel like I have more. Also this is not my first set of 19's. The previous set I had was a 19 X 8 Konig Verdicts wrapped in 235/35/19 on a 00' Mitsu Eclipse. No problems what so ever!!! I never had to replace/repair a wheel or tires from damage. I ride a 100+ miles a day on my 19's now. I have had them since June and so far so good. And their are some 18's that are heavy azz phuck too!!! 19's are tougher than people think. But keep in mind that the right pothole will cause you to repair a 17', 18' 19' etc. It doesnt matter. I believe that the same road hazards that can destroy a 19' can destroy an 18' as well.......But all in all you have to get what you want. Please dont let our opinions alter what you really want.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
j0nan said:
its been known that bigger wheels will slow down ur car...but is it a considerable downgrade in speed from 19's to 18's? i was planning on getting 19's but a friend keeps telling me my car will get a lot slower and harsher ride.
Get what you like. Keep in mind:

1) Larger rim = less sidewall, think about where you drive(potholes, expansion joints, etc.)

2) Power won't really be an issue unless you really intend to race the car. (I recently dynoed a car w/19's and the gearing was about 6% off)

3)Struts will wear out sooner due to an increase in unsprung weight.

If you're more about the looks than anything else and you have the money, I've seen some sexy 19's out there. Hope this helps. ;)

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
you could conceivably go with 19s with a tiny tire and have close to the same rolling diamater of the stock wheels..but it would be such a rough ride, and you would probably bend rims regularly. i debated 18/19 inch rims, and went 18's. im happy. they look great, perform well, i didnt notice much loss of power....im guessign the loss would be apparent on a dyno, especially at the crank, but on the road i dont think its makign much difference

1 - 16 of 16 Posts