Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while checking air pressure I noticed that the right rear wheel was hotter than the others. I could feel the heat coming from the wheel. I touched the wheel, but had to pull my hand away quickly because of the heat. Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts on the cause? Since it is only the right rear, I wonder if it could be a traction control related issue. This is on an '01 IS300.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It could be because of the exhaust being on that side of the car. The pipe runs near the wheel.

Not sure if it would make the wheel hot to the touch though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't think this would be traction control related. Check your brakes... you might have a severely messed up right rear brake. I've seen this happen.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
try driving for only a mile and refrain from using the brakes as much as possible....

check to see if the right rear caliper is already hot... if so, it is sticking and needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Jack that wheel of the ground, in neutral, you should be able to spin the wheel by hand with relative ease. if not the caliper is dragging, causing the rotor to become extreamly hot. this could not be caused by exhaust. traction control would not be active long enough to cause this.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree. I am guessing you've got a frozen piston on your caliper. You could re-manu it, or just go buy a new one. Probably around $100. Though, I've never had to replace one, so that's just a guess. They are $50 on a domestic light truck, so I just doubled that :)

No exhaust... not unless you were sitting at 6k rpms and not moving. The air circulating under the car while you drive is enough to keep that from happening.

And again, traction- no way. If TRAC was hitting the abs enough to make the wheel hot, you'd would instantly say WTF and put your car back in park. (<-- I would hope)

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
it could very well be a caliper issue, do as Lextech 1 say. If you are handy you can fix the problem yourself....if not take it to the dealer or your local mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses! This is my first visit to this site and it is great! This site is another great reason to own an IS! :cool:

I think I can rule out the exhaust because the first time I noticed it was after a 5 mile cruise down the freeway at night, so the air would have kept the exhaust away. It has to be friction.

I will get under there this weekend and try all of your suggestions for checking the caliper, etc.

Thanks for the advice!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts