Lexus IS Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1828 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
holy high offset batman. glad it worked with small spacers and you got what you wanted. do you have a pic of the IS350 brakes behind your new wheels?
Needed a lot of offset to tuck the wheels and tires into the car. I'm going for a different (and more OEM) look than most of the IS300 enthusiasts...

Bumper cover has been off and back on a dozen times in the last couple years. Once I either choose to keep the turbo 6 or swap in my LS3, I'll get a new bumper...

Also note the ARP wheel studs and titanium Katech lug nuts!

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
nothing wrong with having a high-er offset! i was just surprised you could clear that in the F/R at that width and offset. everyone has their own needs. the nice thing about higher offsets and the extended studs you have is you can play with offset with slip over spacers on the cheap (compared to sketchy bolt on wheel spacers). this was the main reason i went with ARP studs too.

those IS350 calipers look fantastic behind those wheels! thanks for giving me the motivation to get that swap done (i have the mounts in my room, but i need the rest of the stuff).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pix of my set up:

Enkei NT03+M (SBC)
18x9.5, +27 and 225/45/18 all four corners

Fortune Auto 500
Figs Engineering MEGA arms and toe link

Fenders are rolled flat, with a pull in the rear.

I would recommend a 215/35/18 actually, as you'll have way more clearance.

I have Vertex (+15mm) fenders and Serial Nine FUCAs waiting to be installed to solve the poke in front and create more clearance with that upper arm on compression

·
Registered
754 Posts
very nice! i keep forgetting that the vertex fenders are 15mm and not 20mm. talk about some of the most expensive 15mm extensions in your life! lol.

if you're going to get the serial9 FUCA, i recommend you also get shortened spindles (+RCAs if youre open to it). that will help even more as these mods go hand in hand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
nothing wrong with having a high-er offset! i was just surprised you could clear that in the F/R at that width and offset. everyone has their own needs. the nice thing about higher offsets and the extended studs you have is you can play with offset with slip over spacers on the cheap (compared to sketchy bolt on wheel spacers). this was the main reason i went with ARP studs too.

those IS350 calipers look fantastic behind those wheels! thanks for giving me the motivation to get that swap done (i have the mounts in my room, but i need the rest of the stuff).
I spent nearly two months taking measurements off my car, reading thru this thread (and others), calling wheel shops, etc etc to choose the offsets I did. I definitely wanted to error on the too high an offset side rather than too little - because as you mentioned, you can add wheel spacers to make the offset less, but making offset more positive is a LOT more difficult LOL! I learned it's pretty tough to find "off the shelf" wheels with these high offsets. Was really nervous about ordering custom rims, so it was really nice to find the TSW Nurburgrings. No, they're not Forgelines... But I really like the style, they're rotary "forged", weigh only 19lb a piece, and only about $230 a pop.

On the brakes: Thank you! This silver car is my 2nd IS300, my other one being totally stock. The big brakes are a big, Big, BIG upgrade. I did the RK-series EBC rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pads all the way around, Stoptech brake hoses, and of course, the IS350 calipers. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and feel.

Sidenote: Instead of cutting my brake backing plates, I just bent them back a little - maintaining the OEM functionality and cooling air scoop. Secondly, the adaptors I bought from the guy on eBay must not have picture-perfect geometry. They bolted up just great, but I noticed some pretty serious rubbing whenever I steered. At first I thought this was my big tires rubbing the inner fender liners, but then I noticed it sounded like metallic grinding sometimes. Took a really good look at it last night and discovered that the inner braking surface of the rotors was rubbing on the caliper, on the very outer rim of the rotor. Some slight clearancing with a carbide burr solved the issue entirely, and I can now turn lock-to-lock with no rubbing whatsoever. Very happy now. Anyway, just something to watch out for.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't really want to hack up my front spindles, i'm actually not experiencing that much rub anymore. Serial 9 is an additional 7mm or something
i didnt either, but once i found someone i could trust to do the job the correct way, i was ready. it is so nice having them out of the way and not constantly hitting. although i am a little lower than you, so it may not be as big of an issue for you as it was for me. if you ever change your mind, powered by max is offering the service and from what ive seen, i would trust them to do my spindles. i believe S9 FUCA height is 10mm shorter than stock. not much, but every little bit helps.

I spent nearly two months taking measurements off my car, reading thru this thread (and others), calling wheel shops, etc etc to choose the offsets I did. I definitely wanted to error on the too high an offset side rather than too little - because as you mentioned, you can add wheel spacers to make the offset less, but making offset more positive is a LOT more difficult LOL! I learned it's pretty tough to find "off the shelf" wheels with these high offsets. Was really nervous about ordering custom rims, so it was really nice to find the TSW Nurburgrings. No, they're not Forgelines... But I really like the style, they're rotary "forged", weigh only 19lb a piece, and only about $230 a pop.

On the brakes: Thank you! This silver car is my 2nd IS300, my other one being totally stock. The big brakes are a big, Big, BIG upgrade. I did the RK-series EBC rotors and EBC Yellowstuff pads all the way around, Stoptech brake hoses, and of course, the IS350 calipers. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and feel.

Sidenote: Instead of cutting my brake backing plates, I just bent them back a little - maintaining the OEM functionality and cooling air scoop. Secondly, the adaptors I bought from the guy on eBay must not have picture-perfect geometry. They bolted up just great, but I noticed some pretty serious rubbing whenever I steered. At first I thought this was my big tires rubbing the inner fender liners, but then I noticed it sounded like metallic grinding sometimes. Took a really good look at it last night and discovered that the inner braking surface of the rotors was rubbing on the caliper, on the very outer rim of the rotor. Some slight clearancing with a carbide burr solved the issue entirely, and I can now turn lock-to-lock with no rubbing whatsoever. Very happy now. Anyway, just something to watch out for.
wheel selection can be tough. sometimes you just need hoops in a certain width and offset and then you come to find out that no one makes anything like that.

thanks for the info on the pad/rotor setup. i will have to remember that. if you have any other issues with the adapters, the seller is very responsive on ebay. there were some users who reported issues with the caliper not sitting on the rotor right, so he made v2s and i got mine swapped out. very nice guy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have the serial nines which should have plenty of adjustment

I saw some pix of shortened spindles and they do their job of angling the arm down, just wondering if that affected the ballljoint negatively

·
Registered
754 Posts
here is my setup under compression. the upper arms i have at their shortest length are 15mm shorter than stock (what is pictured); spindles are 30mm shorter. your S9 arms will have a lot more adjustability than what i have.

S9 makes really good stuff, so as long as nothing is binding or negatively affecting your FUCA, you should not shorten the life if your balljoint. s9 knows exactly what we are doing with these chassis which is nice because we get exactly what we need.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are those the russian made arms?

I don't like that design of upper arm bc the balljoint area is this . . . giant block

The Serial 9 seems to have alot less mass around there

ditto for the Figs but the Figs is totally alien

·
Registered
68 Posts
oh, and FWIW, I emailed Parts Shop Max

Its $500 to shorten the spindle 40mm - they dont have new replacement stuff yet. They asked if i give them my car to test, but sadly i am not in southern california or else i totally would.

I think i'll look for some junker arms tomorrow. A recycler said they'd sell me a couple for $75 each, i'm gonna hit them up

The biggest concern is whether the shortened spindle will hit the wheell/tire

From your pic it looks VERY close

What wheel specs are you running?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Are those the russian made arms?

I don't like that design of upper arm bc the balljoint area is this . . . giant block

The Serial 9 seems to have alot less mass around there

ditto for the Figs but the Figs is totally alien
yes. i dont necessarily care for the design either (i believe i noted this in the FUCA thread). although i couldnt find any info on them, so i thought i would be the guinea pig. i will replace either with cusco jzx arm or go with serial9 and keep these as backups. IMO serial9 has the best FUCAs for our chassis.

i thought about hacking off the crap hanging off the ends to get additional clearance, but then that means there isnt much (if any) adjustability left in the arms.

figs makes great stuff, but i dont think their FUCA is better than S9 (atleast for low cars like mine).

oh, and FWIW, I emailed Parts Shop Max

Its $500 to shorten the spindle 40mm - they dont have new replacement stuff yet. They asked if i give them my car to test, but sadly i am not in southern california or else i totally would.

I think i'll look for some junker arms tomorrow. A recycler said they'd sell me a couple for $75 each, i'm gonna hit them up

The biggest concern is whether the shortened spindle will hit the wheell/tire

From your pic it looks VERY close

What wheel specs are you running?
my specs are 18x9.5 +22; tire is 225/35/18. if my setup were to clear 40mm spindles, it would be very close. i likely wouldnt be able to go up in tire size at all. if you look at the pic again, it clears the wheel no problem, but i would likely interfere with a larger tire size. i went with 30mm shorter because i wanted to be able to be flexible with wheel options down the line; for example, a 9/10j stagger with tires that have less stretch.

IIRC, 40mm is for low cars with aggressive wheel setups; which is why you see 30mm spindles more than anything. here is what i recommend you do: get those spare spindles (what i did), take one of your front wheels off you plan to run with a short spindle and mock it up to the spindle. now note where the spindle's upper pickup point would be if it were 30 or 40mm shorter. will it clear at 30? 40? depending on what you find, and what you plan to do with the car down the line, this will dictate how short you need to go.

FWIW, i paid 75 a spindle when i picked up my spares, as long as the car wasnt in an accident that bent or tweaked the spindles (or an insane amount of corrosion), thats a good deal IMO. i dont think ive ever seen spindles cheaper than 75/side.

Meso is running 18's. You'd have to be running like 20's for the tire to hit.
thanks pig. reiterating what was stated above, tire size comes into play with my current spindle/wheel setup. not like a larger tire would work with the stock fenders and the height im at, but if i had vertex or larger fenders my situation may be a little different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can answer this question as quickly and as easily as possible - hopefully from experience.

An opportunity has come up to purchase a set of these rims - but it is from interstate and there is no chance to 'try-before-we-buy'.

Will 2006 WRX STi rims - Enkei 17x8jj +53 10 Spoke - fit a 2000 IS200 with no mods ? The IS is currently running the standard 16's.

Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't know what interstate is but those wheels should fit. You might need a front spacer to clear the inside front suspension spindle though. IMO, that offset of -53 is way too high and the wheels will look sunken in the wheelwells (hence the spacer might be needed).

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can answer this question as quickly and as easily as possible - hopefully from experience.

An opportunity has come up to purchase a set of these rims - but it is from interstate and there is no chance to 'try-before-we-buy'.

Will 2006 WRX STi rims - Enkei 17x8jj +53 10 Spoke - fit a 2000 IS200 with no mods ? The IS is currently running the standard 16's.

Thanks
Hijacking someones tread is not cool. I would say. But Google works also.

1801 - 1820 of 1828 Posts