Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions here based your experience as owners of the IS300. I recently took my IS in for my 15K service and the guy here in Ft. Worth said that they recommend Full Wheel Alignmnets (front and back) as part of the 15K service. This jacks this service up to over $500.

Now, if it is needed, beneficial or warrented, I have no problem spending the money for it, but when I called around to a my old dealerships that used to do service, they told me that was not needed and they wouldn't have suggested it.

So my question to the group is, do you think it is warranted or beneficial as a preventative to do the alignments ever 15K if it needs it or not and pay the extra 100 - 120, or do you think this was either a misinformed service agent or revenue generation technique on their end?

·
Registered
941 Posts
DaveJ said:
I need some opinions here based your experience as owners of the IS300. I recently took my IS in for my 15K service and the guy here in Ft. Worth said that they recommend Full Wheel Alignmnets (front and back) as part of the 15K service. This jacks this service up to over $500.

Now, if it is needed, beneficial or warrented, I have no problem spending the money for it, but when I called around to a my old dealerships that used to do service, they told me that was not needed and they wouldn't have suggested it.

So my question to the group is, do you think it is warranted or beneficial as a preventative to do the alignments ever 15K if it needs it or not and pay the extra 100 - 120, or do you think this was either a misinformed service agent or revenue generation technique on their end?
Just get the Firestone lifetime alignment for $129-$149 and get an alignment done everytime you hit a pothole. :chill:

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're tracking straight and there's no abnormal* tire wear then likely no need to do the alignment.

Also the dealer may "align" the car to set it up without any negative camber up front and reduce toe to reduce tire wear. While it will do that you lose much of the tight feel that gives the IS it's handling character. Your call, but I much prefer it setup agressive as it comes from the factory.

*cupping, wear spots not inside tire block wear. IS's will wear the inside tire block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts