Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this might be the best place to put this based on how this forum is laid out. I have two problems that are extremely annoying, actually three; and I don't see why there are these preventative actions taken by moderators? (I am assuming.)

My first issue is that I can not leave a trader rating. I purchased caliper badges from Flatline Graphix and no matter what I do I can not leave a trader rating. I'm assuming there is some kind of road block that was set up by the website/administration and I'm failing to see why. I am a long time member of 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center which is owned by the same person (eKool) - and we had none of these humps in the forum where everything is so annoying and difficult to work through...so I don't see why there are so many things that are different on this website? I would like to leave the appropriate trader rating since I told that person I would be leaving one - and now I can't, so that makes me look bad...

Secondly I don't see the point in having to have 30 posts in order to post in the WTB forum. I have nothing to contribute since I am new to the platform and have only changed my oil, I don't plan on going with a huge turbo kit, or crazy body kit, or anything, all I want to do is lower my car, so in-turn, I have nothing to post about, so now what do I have to do - make 30 useless posts in order to buy some used Sportlines? Sounds pretty dumb to me...and if moderation insists on keeping this 30 post rule, why don't you offer another website someone is previously coming off of as a reference. I have 30 trader ratings at 3Si and have 100% feedback, I am a trusted source, and now I have to start over from zero here and make 30 useless posts? I am failing to see the logic. If someone wants to spam bad enough 30 posts can be accomplished in two days easily.

Lastly, is I have PM'd a "moderator" concerning the previously stated issue and have failed to receive a response...if another moderator feels like stepping up and discussing this with me I would appreciate it, since I can't do anything with this website apparently, and maybe we can handle the issue of your moderator that feels it's a difficult task to return Private Messages. Afterall, typing on a keyboard is exhausting work, especially for a moderator.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Who did you PM?

The minimum post rules are in place to reduce scammers. I'm not sure about the iTrader, I have never had any problems with it.

You don't need 30 post to reply to a thread in the For Sale area, just to start a new one.

I don't feel like a need to "step it up" we are volunteers, and have normal jobs and families.

Why are you so angry? What duty do we owe you?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I totally agree with Squareback, we are just regular people just hanging out and talking about stuff we love.. Cars!! Learing new things, and sharing our knowledge... for newbies like me =)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Wow... there's a lot of anger here from the original poster.

The reason why there is a post minimum before you can post sales is to prevent spammers. The idea being is that this is a community and we want people to contribute overall. We don't want somebody just joining and posting about iPods for sale at their website and then never coming back.

Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I don't want to come of like an a-hole either, and I hope you enjoy the site and stick around and be a excellent contributor to the site, but I have to stick up for myself and my fellow mods.

I think we do a great job overall, especially for a thankless unpaid position.

Rules are rules, some of them I don't agree with either, but hey welcome to this thing we call life.

Reactions: Crester

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who did you PM?
I will PM you with your moderator's board name that I sent a PM to.

The minimum post rules are in place to reduce scammers. I'm not sure about the iTrader, I have never had any problems with it.
Reflecting back on my original post - I brought up that I know why the minimum post rule is in effect. I do not understand why we can't introduce a "reference forum". I have been on 3Si since 2004, am a trusted source, and now have to start over from zero, I do not want to make 30 useless posts just to buy used Sportlines...that is my issue here.

Furthermore, I know how to use the trader rating system, I know I am using it correctly, yet continue to get board errors saying that my fields are invalid...I am not trying to come off pompous, please don't take me this way.

You don't need 30 post to reply to a thread in the For Sale area, just to start a new one.
Well the issue is that the last time I checked, and a few weeks before then, no one was offering Sportlines for sale; that is why I want to create a WTB thread. I know why the 30 post rule is in effect, and as I said, if someone wants to scam bad enough, 30 posts isn't a lot and can be done in two days without being obvious. I do not want to make 30 posts of "nice car" "nice lip" "nice wheels "nice body kit" - etc...I don't see the point.

I don't feel like a need to "step it up" we are volunteers, and have normal jobs and families.

Why are you so angry? What duty do we owe you?
Let me make this 100% clear that I never, ever said you - or any of your moderation staff should "step it up", except for the one moderator who can't return Private Messages.

What duty do you owe me? Nothing, what's with putting words in my mouth? What's the point in this forum? I am trying to offer two things and I'm getting told how "angry" I am. As a moderator there are duties that you should be entitled to, but that seems like it's a touch subject with you and I will not get into a dumb debate over the internet, all I'd like is a solution as to why I am getting errors with my trader rating, and proposing the idea of a reference forum when signing up so that TRUSTED members (based off of other automotive forum reputation) can skip this "30 post rule".

Crester - I'd appreciate it if you read more into my thread if you didn't. I think I made it pretty obvious in my original post (which is pretty obvious you did not read all of) that I know why the 30 post rule is in effect. I am PROPOSING the idea of an alternate solution to that, so I do not make dumb posts just to get to my 30 post limit. Don't take me the wrong way, but really I don't see what your post offered...

P.S. - thanks for the negative rep. I appreciate it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly, I really don't see how I came off agressive towards moderation, but they took it that way, especially Mr. Crester - who isn't even a "senior moderator" such as Squareback - yet feels it's cool to negative rep. new users, that's a great way to encourage participation here buddy.

I can see a clear annoyance with my first post but no anger. I hope Squareback does not feel I am placing any blame on him, it is clearly not that way, I just wanted to propose two ideas and see if they can be put under a vote in the moderator's forum, I feel firm on the idea of a reference forum, like I said, I would rather be a lurker and contribute when the time is right, rather than making 30 posts that really serve no purpose, then asked for some technical help as to why I'm getting errors with the iTrader system.

Regardless I wouldn't be surprised now if this turns completely off topic and into a debate about other things rather than my main points of interest, which I'd rather not see, I would just like to see if Squareback or any other senior moderator can offer the reference forum as an idea...any help with the iTrader system would be appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
luvs 2 xlr8... you are coming off as being way too aggressive. Whether that's what you are intending or not... that's how you are appearing. If you express yourself calmly your questions will gladly be answered.

Now I will try and address some of your questions...

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I see that you would like to be able to participate in Want To Buy and For Sale forums from day one. I recognize that but that is not the way this forum is set up. Even if your intentions may be honest... there are too many more people that would abuse those sections of the forum in order for that change to be made. Remember this forum has been around for nearly a decade... so many options have been considered already.

The idea behind the 30 post rule is not for you to make 30 spam posts before making a sale thread. The idea is that we want people to become part of the web community. Having somebody come on to advertise a sale... and never come on again is not good for the community.

And in regards to "online reputation"... I used to be a well known member on a Cressida forum. When I came here nobody knew who I was and I had to start all over again. That's just the way it goes. If you are a great contributor to web communities then you will be quickly recognized for that fact and receive the online respect you desire.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not demanding respect from day one. I know that would never happen, that's extremely selfish and childish.

I am offering the idea of a reference forum, for you moderators to place in your moderator forum and vote on whether or not you think that is a respectable idea or "revolution" - this way screened members can skip the 30 post rule if they desire to. If there is a technical forum I will gladly go in there and try to bump to 30 posts, but I refuse to post in the "inside & out" forum where people post pictures of their hoods, body kits, wheels, new lights, etc. - that's not contributing by saying "nice ____." in my opinion...I'd rather help someone who needs help mechanically or is having a problem with their car than post "nice ____."

Also - I noticed that proof of ownership has to be provided to post in one of the IS300 forums, how can I go about doing this so I can at least post in there as well if anyone needs help, or if I need help at some point. I'm sure it's posted somewhere but honestly I am not on this forum or any forums that much for that matter, so can't spend the time searching and digging on how to provide proof of ownership so I can post in the appropriate forums.

I would never join a forum and say "30 post rule is dumb exclude it for me and me only because I am a member of other forums and am honest" - anyone with common sense would know that's not going to blow over and makes you look really ignorant.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
We will consider the idea of the "Reference Forum"...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Only 16 more posts to go. Your almost there! Keep up the tirades, but I would space them at two sentences per post instead of lumping them into one lengthy post, much more efficient in getting to the 30 posts goal.

Good times...see I just posted something completely worthless. Woohoo! I have some postwhoring catching up to do.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Don't worry broski, I know there is work-around for the 30 post, and not always does it mean that more posts=more trustworthy person, but what would you suggest. I think it should be reserved for established members myself, but not sure of a way (within reason) to quality as such.

There a may or may not be a way to reference your "trustworthiness" from one website to another, but I don't think the owners of the site would put that much effort into programming the capability. I could be wrong, I'm not a techie, but the cost versus benefits doesn't seem to work, since the site makes zero money on member to member sales.

I wasn't implying that you were using the Itrader wrong, I just never had any hiccups myself, nor have heard of anybody else having any problems, so I can't help you there.

I wasn't putting word in your mouth, but they way you worded your post it sounded like we need to bow down to your demands and justify everything, that is all. Some mods only check in once a month so if you PM'd on of them and you didn't get a response, maybe that is why. I don't think any mods purposefully ignore any PMs. I get some dumb ones every-now and then, but I always respond.

Maybe you are not angry, but your message came across that way. I'm not mad at you, but your message had a hostile tone to it.

Don't sweat it bro.

Walk me through the steps of your ITrader rating, and where you are getting the error. I think I may not what it is. Are you trying to tie it to a particular thread? Is that thread in the For Sale forum? I think you can only link to threads in the marketplace.

What mod did you PM, it might be a less active mod. We have several that only pop in once a month or less. That is way we try to have two mods per forum, and several seniors, so we can keep everything moving smoothly.

P.S. 16 more posts and you can start a WTB thread. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I was always mad that the never required proof of ownership for the SportCross section, WTF?

What, are we not cool enough to need a password? Nobody dying to get in there, I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I think the problem with using reputation from other forums is that it requires moderator attention and research for every newbie that gets on the forum and wants to post in the sale/trade forums. That is a lot of work and we don't know how legitimate reputation on other forums is, a couple friends could rather easily get a bit of a reputation built up without actually selling anything. Scamming is always a problem on these member to member sales and trades and we'd like to avoid as much of that as we can. The best thing that can happen is that a new member gets to be part of the community and gets to know some other people on the forum who can vouch for him or lives close to him and can help out if there is a problem. The biggest problems arise when someone new comes in, scams someone and disappears, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't worry broski, I know there is work-around for the 30 post, and not always does it mean that more posts=more trustworthy person, but what would you suggest. I think it should be reserved for established members myself, but not sure of a way (within reason) to quality as such.

There a may or may not be a way to reference your "trustworthiness" from one website to another, but I don't think the owners of the site would put that much effort into programming the capability. I could be wrong, I'm not a techie, but the cost versus benefits doesn't seem to work, since the site makes zero money on member to member sales.

I wasn't implying that you were using the Itrader wrong, I just never had any hiccups myself, nor have heard of anybody else having any problems, so I can't help you there.

I wasn't putting word in your mouth, but they way you worded your post it sounded like we need to bow down to your demands and justify everything, that is all. Some mods only check in once a month so if you PM'd on of them and you didn't get a response, maybe that is why. I don't think any mods purposefully ignore any PMs. I get some dumb ones every-now and then, but I always respond.

Maybe you are not angry, but your message came across that way. I'm not mad at you, but your message had a hostile tone to it.

Don't sweat it bro.

Walk me through the steps of your ITrader rating, and where you are getting the error. I think I may not what it is. Are you trying to tie it to a particular thread? Is that thread in the For Sale forum? I think you can only link to threads in the marketplace.

What mod did you PM, it might be a less active mod. We have several that only pop in once a month or less. That is way we try to have two mods per forum, and several seniors, so we can keep everything moving smoothly.

P.S. 16 more posts and you can start a WTB thread. :lol:
Yeah after I logged off a while ago I figured this thread would probably just boost me into the 30 posts plus "club" so all my "whining" will be over nothing by the end of this thread.

I see where you are coming from that a few friends can boost iTrader ratings, as well as forum reputation points, the only thing I have to offer off of that is that maybe a "reference forum" spot could be put in the application when registering - and a valid "reference forum" could only be one of the ones linked at the bottom of this page - owned by eKool. The only problem is that he owns quite a few/most of them...and it could be possible to still boost fake iTrader ratings as well as forum rep.

If I came across pompous in my original post I apologize to you - I have been part of the forum for a few weeks now and it seems like every time I want to do something I have to jump over some hurdle to do it, so yeah it is frustrating, but would never sign up on an internet message board and ACT like a tool, however, I am here to USE the message board as a tool - that's all. (Offer help, ask for help, search, buy some parts, sell some parts...)

I will try to send another trader rating to Flatline - and if it does not work I will send you a PM. Also - I tried both NOT linking AND linking to the thread where the "deal" was made. However the thread where the "deal" was made was not in the For Sale section...all I did was ask someone who posted pictures of their car where they got the caliper badges from, sent Flatline a PM and got them. Maybe a deal thread is necessary? It's not on 3Si so that may be where my error falls, as well as PMing you the moderator that I sent my original PM to.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
luvs 2 xlr8... do you see a lot of other car forums that allow new users to post for sale items and contribute to people's reputation right away? As mentioned above... it would be fine to do that if the world was filled with honest people... but I have a feeling that if it happened here it would quickly be abused.

Even with the reference forum idea. Yes it would be great for people to be vouched for in a particular section of a forum... but that could be easily abused as well. In all honesty... any strongly contributing member of this forum will be recognized quite quickly... and vice versa.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
luvs 2 xlr8... do you see a lot of other car forums that allow new users to post for sale items and contribute to people's reputation right away? As mentioned above... it would be fine to do that if the world was filled with honest people... but I have a feeling that if it happened here it would quickly be abused.

Even with the reference forum idea. Yes it would be great for people to be vouched for in a particular section of a forum... but that could be easily abused as well. In all honesty... any strongly contributing member of this forum will be recognized quite quickly... and vice versa.
I know that on the previous forum I have been on since 2004 you have to be a verified seller. In other words - you send moderation all your contact information and you can sell right away. (I'm almost positive, not 100% sure because when I came verified I had a few thousand posts)

Any other forum I remember being on to be 100% honest with you - no, I do not remember them having a post limit rule.

Rep. can be given right away on any forum I have been on, but if you have no established rep. it really won't matter whether or not you negative or positive rep. that person.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts