Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few threads on the CL-S, let me clear up a few facts. I own a '01 CL Type-S (and a 99 M3) and find some of the ideas you guys have about the car very amusing.

First, there is some truth that the CL-S doesn't accelerate very well above 100 mph. At about 110 mph, the GEARING of 4th gear puts a damper on high speed accleration. The problem is that 4th and 5th gear are both overdrive ratios.

But to say that a Camry or Accord would beat a CL-S at speeds above 100 mph is just stupid. The CL-S would still piss on those cars at high speed. And don't think that the IS300 will beat it either, 'cause it won't.

Also, although it might take a while, the CL-S will pull to 148 mph. It's been tested and published as a top speed for the CL-S. There are not any top speed governors on the CL-S, so 148 is its true top speed.

You guys can think that these are good reasons to NOT buy the car, and that's fine. But the fact of the matter is this: For $32K, you get a fully loaded 260 HP sport/luxury car (including a DVD Navi system) that is basically pretty good at everything. The IS300 will outhandle it, and outbrake it, but will lose to it in acceleration, period

Don't beat up on the CL-S so much, because it makes you look jealous.......

------------------
99 M3
01 CL Type-S

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Black_IS300:
yawn...

I know exactly how you feel.......'cause I feel the same way every time an IS300 pulls up next to me at a light looking for a race.

------------------
99 M3
01 CL Type-S

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hmm... I guess it's just different point of view, huh? For some people, good handling, styling, and braking are more important than accelation and value. Admit it. CL-S's styling is not very good in most people's view. If you ask people to choose CL-S or Is based on styling, then most of people will choose IS. Oh, it's true. Man, you need to back up the fact that IS won't beat CL-S in over 100mph range. IS won't beat CL-S because it won't? That sentence doesn't make good sense to me. Also CL-S's top speed is only 4mph higher even though it has 45hp more. Plus, a FWD sports coupe? Not for me. In my opinion, to have the word "sports" in the car model name, the car should be able to handle and brake as well as it accelerates. The car should be balanced. And I think CL-S is lower in balance than IS in terms of performance.

If you agree with my words, give me a hell-yeah!

Originally posted by Tom:
After reading a few threads on the CL-S, let me clear up a few facts. I own a '01 CL Type-S (and a 99 M3) and find some of the ideas you guys have about the car very amusing.

First, there is some truth that the CL-S doesn't accelerate very well above 100 mph. At about 110 mph, the GEARING of 4th gear puts a damper on high speed accleration. The problem is that 4th and 5th gear are both overdrive ratios.

But to say that a Camry or Accord would beat a CL-S at speeds above 100 mph is just stupid. The CL-S would still piss on those cars at high speed. And don't think that the IS300 will beat it either, 'cause it won't.

Also, although it might take a while, the CL-S will pull to 148 mph. It's been tested and published as a top speed for the CL-S. There are not any top speed governors on the CL-S, so 148 is its true top speed.

You guys can think that these are good reasons to NOT buy the car, and that's fine. But the fact of the matter is this: For $32K, you get a fully loaded 260 HP sport/luxury car (including a DVD Navi system) that is basically pretty good at everything. The IS300 will outhandle it, and outbrake it, but will lose to it in acceleration, period

------------------
K.P.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hell yeah! 8^)

One thing that I admit Acura does well is their interiors. I really like my parent's 3.2 TL's interior. While I like the IS's chronograph gauges, climate and radio controls, it's pretty spartan on everything else. Just noticed today that the TL also has heated side mirrors controlled via a nice little button next to the side mirror direction controls. Lexus does need to put a little more attention to details for other interior areas in the IS.. like an armrest, better cup holders, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, etc.. I think they overdid it in their attempt to separate the market between GS and IS buyers.

--k

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by Tom:

The cl-s bashing didn't spontaneously generate from the air. The catalyst(s) were cl-s owners messing around. VW, bimmer, subaru, bashing can be found in past threads when an overly energetic car owner trolls around. Unfortunately this produces some of the most retarded comments that some people, regardless of vehicular ownership, can make. Life goes on.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I didn't even consider a CL-S before buying my IS300 because I did not want a 2 door car with front wheel drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey TOM ... i have a CL-S too and i was surprised from what i read here.. they dont know anything about the car.. come and see the post that called why buy a CL-s.. i need some help there with these guys lol.

------------------
CL-S with headers, mufflers,springs, 18 inch wheels, V-AFC, AEM intake.
Waiting for the Supercharger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Who gives a $hit. You want an Accura..go buy one. I really don't care if it has Nav, color TV, email, game boy, ESPN, toilet trained, etc. I really like the IS!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Acura es da shet Man!! ItS Da BeST! EsPeciaLLy Da Gold 1. HeY GoLd cL-S diD U GeT GoLd RiMs & gOlD BaDGes 2 go w/ Dat? ItS F0*inG PiMpIn' mAn~

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
you guys are funny...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra

·
Registered
88 Posts
Originally posted by LexoBoi:
time to stop talking about the CL-S...nobody gives a $hit about the Acura...THIS IS AN IS300 forum.
Many IS owners want tips or advice on their IS 300s. This forum spends too much time on which car is faster or better. Maybe there should be a separate forum called "I'm Better Than You" or "My Car Can Beat Your Car" where all this rubbish can go where it actually belongs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
zachase,
the best run on the Gtech was about 5.6 i had alot of 5.7-5.8's

------------------
1. 99 Cobra with Saleen body kit.
2.CL-S with headers, mufflers,springs, 18 inch wheels, V-AFC, AEM intake.
Waiting for the Supercharger.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah... what everyone else. If I wanted an Acura... or a 260hp front wheel drive car with all of the other stuff you mentioned, then I would have bought one.
heh heh... unfortunately, that crap doesn't appeal to me. So I bought an IS.

Have fun.

Scott.

·
Registered
71 Posts
3 things kept me from buying the CL Type-S...

1) No manual
2) FWD
3) The cheesy faux wood trim

But other than that, its a friggin amazing car. I like it. Good job Honda! With IS300 there were really only 3 things I liked about the car...

1) The styling of the exterior
2) The engine is smoooooth
3) Toyota build quality.

But thats it..i couldn't find anything else that made that car worth what the dealer was asking for one. So I plunked down 4k more and got an S4, which IMO is 2x the car the IS is. But thats just MY opinion and thats from comparison shopping.

------------------
Zerin Dube
'00 Imola Yellow S4
APR Stage I EMCS Chip
Bailey Dump Valves
UUC Short Shifter

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by zerinS4:
So I plunked down 4k more and got an S4, which IMO is 2x the car the IS is. But thats just MY opinion and thats from comparison shopping.

Try plunking down an add'l 10K. Right now you can get a loaded IS for around 30-31 while a loaded S4 is about 40k.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by Rookie84:
Hmm... I guess it's just different point of view, huh? For some people, good handling, styling, and braking are more important than accelation and value. Admit it. CL-S's styling is not very good in most people's view. If you ask people to choose CL-S or Is based on styling, then most of people will choose IS. Oh, it's true. Man, you need to back up the fact that IS won't beat CL-S in over 100mph range. IS won't beat CL-S because it won't? That sentence doesn't make good sense to me. Also CL-S's top speed is only 4mph higher even though it has 45hp more. Plus, a FWD sports coupe? Not for me. In my opinion, to have the word "sports" in the car model name, the car should be able to handle and brake as well as it accelerates. The car should be balanced. And I think CL-S is lower in balance than IS in terms of performance.

If you agree with my words, give me a hell-yeah!

You said most people would choose IS over CL depending on styling. I don't agree, it also depends on the age of the buyer. Do you know that the exterior styling of IS is a typical a young guy's car, which is not too suitable for those family man, on the other hand, CL looks more mature and luxury. A good example is my father, who likes everything about the IS300 except the styling, which he commented "it looks too young" so he bought 3.2CL.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts