Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Been running 225/45r17s since the car was a year old. Never any wobble. Maybe people that think they wobble are pushing the car too much thinking they are only much wider tires.
If that is what your used to using, they will feel normal. I have a few of these cars and can compare the differences easily.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hi Solar, what have 13inch slicks got to do with what tyres suit a 17 x 7 Lexus rim? lol.
It was just an example of design. For informational example only. You can clearly see that on those. The tread and sideway extends way past the rim edge. But do not roll or get wobble. Most wobble would be on tires wider than design or over driving them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry guys, you've given me absolutely nothing to convince me otherwise, even the recommended tyre sticker on the car says to use 215's on the stock 7 inch rims, guess Lexus figured out the same thing, go figure. Nothing to stop you putting 225's on there and if it doesn't bother you that's fine as well if you want to only change the tyres without buying another set of rims. The original poster wanted to know what the biggest tyre they could fit and run. I personally wouldn't go wider on the standard rim, there is an easy option for them to buy IS250/350 17 x 8 inch rims as they are a perfect fit and offset, also take front 225's and up to rear 245's which just start to touch the fender. They are cheap and easy to get. The sets I got all came with quality tyres as well. Trying to get anything wider in there is going to cost a lot more money and time.

In a similar offset, width and 17 inch size are some Suzuki SUV rims, some Honda rims, some Mazda RX8 rims and some Subi STI's rims which can be made to fit, but they all need machining or centre bore spacers to be fitted properly as well as different wheel nuts, can't guarantee if the brakes will clear. The STI rims should fit most brakes as they are made to clear Brembo's and the ones I looked at were also all fitted with 235's, go figure. Its much easier and cheaper to just use the Lexus IS350 ones and the bigger Lexus brakes I tried still fitted. Pictures below of a Lexus IS350 8 inch rims on IS300's, front 225 and a rear 245 which both stick out a few mm, but they tuck in as the tyre comes up.
I got only 17 x 8 inch rims as the roads here are not the best and the higher the sidewall, the less work the suspension has to do to try keep the tyre in contact with the road as well as giving a smoother ride.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Sorry guys, you've given me absolutely nothing to convince me otherwise, even the recommended tyre sticker on the car says to use 215's on the stock 7 inch rims, guess Lexus figured out the same thing, go figure. Nothing to stop you putting 225's on there and if it doesn't bother you that's fine as well if you want to only change the tyres without buying another set of rims. The original poster wanted to know what the biggest tyre they could fit and run. I personally wouldn't go wider on the standard rim, there is an easy option for them to buy IS250/350 17 x 8 inch rims as they are a perfect fit and offset, also take front 225's and up to rear 245's which just start to touch the fender. They are cheap and easy to get. The sets I got all came with quality tyres as well. Trying to get anything wider in there is going to cost a lot more money and time.

In a similar offset, width and 17 inch size are some Suzuki SUV rims, some Honda rims, some Mazda RX8 rims and some Subi STI's rims which can be made to fit, but they all need machining or centre bore spacers to be fitted properly as well as different wheel nuts, can't guarantee if the brakes will clear. The STI rims should fit most brakes as they are made to clear Brembo's and the ones I looked at were also all fitted with 235's, go figure. Its much easier and cheaper to just use the Lexus IS350 ones and the bigger Lexus brakes I tried still fitted. Pictures below of a Lexus IS350 8 inch rims on IS300's, front 225 and a rear 245 which both stick out a few mm, but they tuck in as the tyre comes up.
I got only 17 x 8 inch rims as the roads here are not the best and the higher the sidewall, the less work the suspension has to do to try keep the tyre in contact with the road as well as giving a smoother ride. View attachment 134119 View attachment 134120
I will not try to educate you anymore. But in your statement. You are looking at the Toyota recommendation size for the the brand and what they put on originally. So if you are in a different brand and series tire. It already is not there match. I was trying to show you that the tire manufacture is the true dictator on use.

But have fun.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts