Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the best high performance car is that can be daily driven? It needs to be able to maneuver around town easily, go over speed bumps, be comfortable, and fit at least two people comfortably. Everything is game from the M3 to the GT-R to the Turbo S, to a Zonda F. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm going to go with anything in the CTS-V/M3/IS-F/C63 segment. Trunk space, acceptably comfortable suspension, rear seats and sedans optional. That being said.... a good daily driver all comes back to who's driving it and how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make for performance.

·
Class III Aficionado
21,418 Posts
Mercedes McLaren SLR or Bugatti Veyron. It is the every day supercar and hypercar.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The ultimate high performance car.... Toyota supra. But with newer cars I'd say the isf. It's luxury and power plus the styling you can't beat that. Plus if comfort is an issue for you the isf is a perfect blend of comfort and sport.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
There are some hypercars and high end exotics (Aston Martin, V10 R8) you could throw in there, but on the affordable for most end of the spectrum I am going to put my two cents out there:

CTS-V
Audi S4

I have said this for a while, but I think the only thing missing from my car is a backup camera (they make them on 09+) and 556hp / extra styling cues of the CTS-V. 4 doors, super comfortable interior, the V has even better suspension and can eat up most other cars on the road.

I voted for the S4 sedan because my brother just sold his 2010 M3 coupe for a 2011/12 S4 prestige package. I got to drive both and although the S4 isn't quite as fast, it's way more liveable around town thanks to the suspension and torque delivery. Plus, he's getting the Stasis tune that should add another 110+hp so that will put it in a different category altogether.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
some of you guys are totally disregarding the cost of maintenance. for me that completely rules out the GT-R and cars like the Veyron and SLR. Tires on those cars can be upwards of $20k and if you're daily driving you'll burn through a few sets faster than you'd think.

I'd probably have to say BMW M6, or possibly SL63 AMG (not the black because the seats are ludicrous). You can probably grab the M6 with no cost maintenance and if you get the hardtop you get trunk space, back seats and every creature feature you can ask with a monstrous twin turbo v8 under the hood.

·
Class III Aficionado
21,418 Posts
some of you guys are totally disregarding the cost of maintenance. for me that completely rules out the GT-R and cars like the Veyron and SLR. Tires on those cars can be upwards of $20k and if you're daily driving you'll burn through a few sets faster than you'd think.

I'd probably have to say BMW M6, or possibly SL63 AMG (not the black because the seats are ludicrous). You can probably grab the M6 with no cost maintenance and if you get the hardtop you get trunk space, back seats and every creature feature you can ask with a monstrous twin turbo v8 under the hood.
If I could afford a SLR or a Veyron the cost of maintaining it would not be an issue

·
Class III Aficionado
21,418 Posts
The ultimate high performance car.... Toyota supra. But with newer cars I'd say the isf. It's luxury and power plus the styling you can't beat that. Plus if comfort is an issue for you the isf is a perfect blend of comfort and sport.

stop before you make me cry

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If I could afford a SLR or a Veyron the cost of maintaining it would not be an issue
where's bradb1us? i'd like to hear what he has to say about daily driving his ferrari/lamborghini vs. the cost of maintaining it. i don't think you'd be so frivolous with your money, i know i wouldn't. in the case of the GT-R, after the oil changes, tires, and gasoline you could probably have bought two GT-R's.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think it depends. My initial thought went to the point that ronjohnIS made and considered how much I was making yearly before making my decision. Then I had to take in outside factors. For example, the term my company uses for people like me is DINK- Double Income No Kids. So I don't need a backseat and since my wife has a car, why would I need to have anything with a backseat or room for more than two? Then I have to take into account what I consider high performance against what others consider. I mean, some people consider the FRS/BRZ to be pretty high performance, while I also know people who think a GTR that still has the stock turbos is slow. On top of that, is the car stock or not? Are we allowed to modify it or is it stock high performance?

I guess I have a couple different answers. I would lean general towards the sport sedan/coupe segment because I tend to like more of them than other cars. To be realistic with daily drivability and real performance, I would have to say a 911 Turbo, Gallardo, or GTR. Budget wise (say I don't make more than $100k a year in this game) I would have to lean towards the mid level sprots sedan/coupes like the S4 or 335i or something in that range.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,394 Posts
So I don't need a backseat and since my wife has a car
I'm still getting used to you saying that...

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking about this from the perspective of cost to maintain and what not. Thinking about it from the standpoint of "What high performance car could you live with every day?" I'd say the GTR wins hands down.

When taking costs into consideration there's many more that would likely give you a better bang for buck ratio. The new Shelby GT500 being one of them...:jawDrop:

....Yep, I went there. And I'm not coming back.

·
9,703 Posts
I'm going to go with anything in the CTS-V/M3/IS-F/C63 segment. Trunk space, acceptably comfortable suspension, rear seats and sedans optional. That being said.... a good daily driver all comes back to who's driving it and how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make for performance.
Ditto, but i would add the GTR and the RS5 in that list.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The GTR is fast but it's not a luxury car. You're missing out on a lot of creature comforts when compared to the luxury makes. The cost of maintenance just keeps it in the same league as those cars without the amenities.

·
Registered
471 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts