Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the issue:

When i'm driving I'm smelling this horrible burning smell... I cant diagnose what the issue is. (It smells like burning plastic) I checked oil and checked coolant..both are fine.. Really I'm kinda stuck on where to go next. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
did u recently change ur intake filter or anything in that area?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Did u check under the car to see if there is a plastic bag sticking to your exhaust pipes? :suspiciou Happend to me last week, smelled burning smell and there was a plastic bag stuck and melted on my exhaust pipes....damn, they're hard to clean up.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replies.. yes I did check the bag on exhaust.. haha..

Last change i did was an oil change/filter. The smell seems to be coming from the engine compartment.

Electrical system has a grounding kit on it: nothing else. Its been there for a long time however.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Make sure your car is not leaking oil. If it is it it will slowly drip back when your driving and get on your exhaust etc... The will cause you to smell something. Check it out....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Does it smell like a turd covered in burnt hair by any chance?

- Jared

:jawDrop:

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
i'll ask again..

have u touched ur intake system at all? new intake filter? or?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the intake system was changed since day one.. K&N knock off system. Never had any burning up until the summer time area. I will check for oil drip this week...thanks. Jared- never smelled that before... sorry =(

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IntensaBlu said:
Yes, the intake system was changed since day one.. K&N knock off system. Never had any burning up until the summer time area. I will check for oil drip this week...thanks. Jared- never smelled that before... sorry =(
knock off? thats probably whats burning...cheap rubber/plastic on the intake set up... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts