Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I've been into the import drag racing scene since 1998 pretty much, and have alot of experience with Hondas/Acuras and my '93 Supra TT.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I now drive a 2003 5-spd IS300. The other day, I drove a buddies 3.5 stickshift Altima... and all I could say was :eek:

I don't know if it's just that I haven't been in anything "quick" lately, but that car felt BALLSY to me compared to my IS300. I know they come with around 240hp, and we're at 215 (I would guess more like 225 in the stickshifts), and that they have a half a liter displacement advantage... but being similar weights etc, what would we need to do in order to match or beat them in straight line acceleration?

I plan on parting together my own turbo kit in another year or so, but for now... do you guys think it's feasible to keep up with these Altimas with our normal intake/ecu/exhaust/header combo?

From what I see, the stickshift IS300's are laying down around 14.9 stock, whereas the Altimas have hit around [email protected] stock... Will the normal bolton upgrades on our cars yield times similar to that of a stock Altima? Any inputs appreciated...

- Louis

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As you know being into the dragging scene, it all depends on the driver honestly. But if you are pulling 14.9 in a stock 5speed then I'd have to say the bolt ons will definately have you around 14.2. Exhaust, intake, header/racepipe combo, and tuned with an air fuel controller should easily get you to that level. Forced induction is a quicker way to get fast (if you have the money for it). The main thing is to have some sort of air fuel controller dyno tuned, with that and bolt ons you'll be screaming along looking at Altimas in the rear view.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
hey louis,

you have much to learn if you think you are going to put together your own turbo kit. this car isn't like a honda, its not easy to turbocharge it. anyways, to answer your question, forced induction will beat altimas

-gte

HybridKOOP said:
Hey guys... I've been into the import drag racing scene since 1998 pretty much, and have alot of experience with Hondas/Acuras and my '93 Supra TT.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I now drive a 2003 5-spd IS300. The other day, I drove a buddies 3.5 stickshift Altima... and all I could say was :eek:

I don't know if it's just that I haven't been in anything "quick" lately, but that car felt BALLSY to me compared to my IS300. I know they come with around 240hp, and we're at 215 (I would guess more like 225 in the stickshifts), and that they have a half a liter displacement advantage... but being similar weights etc, what would we need to do in order to match or beat them in straight line acceleration?

I plan on parting together my own turbo kit in another year or so, but for now... do you guys think it's feasible to keep up with these Altimas with our normal intake/ecu/exhaust/header combo?

From what I see, the stickshift IS300's are laying down around 14.9 stock, whereas the Altimas have hit around [email protected] stock... Will the normal bolton upgrades on our cars yield times similar to that of a stock Altima? Any inputs appreciated...

- Louis

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IS300GTE said:
hey louis,

you have much to learn if you think you are going to put together your own turbo kit. this car isn't like a honda, its not easy to turbocharge it. anyways, to answer your question, forced induction will beat altimas

-gte
I have much to learn? Do you know what I know? I never claimed that boosting an IS300 would be as easy as installing a DRAG kit on a GS-R. I'm *aware* that I'd be wiring a EK6 into my car... I'm *aware* that I'd be fabbing my own charge piping. I have all of the resources for this. Like I said... this would be a project I begin next year. In the meantime, I will be collecting parts for the install.

In the MEANTIME however, all I wanted to know was if minor boltons to an IS300 would yield a 14.20 or better. I've already had a BPU Supra and a handful of 11 and 12 second Hondas and Acuras... All I was simply asking was what kind of results the members of this board are seeing with the modifications in question.

- Louis

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think that a HKS Hiper, intake (any kind), Toyomoto or XERD racepipe/header, tuned air fuel control, and a short shifter...may yield .5 off ur quarter maybe .6-.7...those modifications are all not a huge challenge to install (except tuning the AFC)...but then again since you are planning to go turbocharger then i dont know how much those bolt ons would be worth it...hope all goes well

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time getting I/H/E and afc jus to be close to a 14.2 (dont know if anyone has even gotton a low 14 or better w/o Nos or FI). I would jus peice a turbo kit together over the winter and forget about the whole altima/350z/maxima group cuz they wont be a challenge anymo :)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
well, read up, i'm sure you'll put the haltech in lickity split.

anyways, you probably won't be able to run 14.20's with bolt ons, i would like to see you pull a 14.90 in a bone stock stickshift IS. most people run mid 14's with bolt ons, or they go with forced induction and run better times of course.

-gte

HybridKOOP said:
IS300GTE said:
hey louis,

-gte
I have much to learn? Do you know what I know? I never claimed that boosting an IS300 would be as easy as installing a DRAG kit on a GS-R. I'm *aware* that I'd be wiring a EK6 into my car... I'm *aware* that I'd be fabbing my own charge piping. I have all of the resources for this. Like I said... this would be a project I begin next year. In the meantime, I will be collecting parts for the install.

In the MEANTIME however, all I wanted to know was if minor boltons to an IS300 would yield a 14.20 or better. I've already had a BPU Supra and a handful of 11 and 12 second Hondas and Acuras... All I was simply asking was what kind of results the members of this board are seeing with the modifications in question.

- Louis

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
HybridKOOP said:

- Louis

if you claim you've been in the "scene" then dont you know it has to do with the driver? also how is our engine rated at 215 for e-shift and 225 for 5spd? never knew the tranny we had affected CRANK horsepower.

and dont believe that a half litre displacement is all that. my brother's supra with only 2.5L of displacement will kick the altima's ass anyday.

so yes, like GTE said... you need to learn a little more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also how is our engine rated at 215 for e-shift and 225 for 5spd? never knew the tranny we had affected CRANK horsepower.

and dont believe that a half litre displacement is all that. my brother's supra with only 2.5L of displacement will kick the altima's ass anyday.
I'm not basing it off of crank horsepower... I'm referring to a handful of the 5-spds I've seen, put down just about 200 at the wheels in stock form (high 190's to be specific).

Give or take... 15% drivetrain, you're looking at about 230hp.

And as far as the half a liter displacement difference, go drive the Altima and step on it from a low rpm, the torque is noticeably different.

As far as driving goes, I *know* driver matters, but you have to understand I'm comparing 2 cars that I personally have driven (my IS, and my friends Altima). If you're questioning my driving skills, watch this:

http://www.endlesstrance.com/LouisLSVTEC.mpg

All motor Civic I built and dragged 2 nights a week for a year or so. 1.7X 60 foots with an open diff, yes I can drive :crazy:

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
haha funny guy. you dont multiply some percentage to a RWHP number to get absolute crank numbers. our engines are rated at 215 STOCK from the factory give or take a couple horses because of assembly/manufacturing tolerances. when you know the crank is given and then you get a baseline... you then get the percantage. not the other way around.

all of our cars regardless of eshift or manual are rated at 215 at the crank. plus where the hell did you see someone pull a high 190's? i would love to meet that person. my personal vehiclce (2003 5spd) only pulled a 184.4 in stock form compared to the rest of the numbers i have seen (high 170s~high 180's) for the 5spd. no one here has pulled a 190 or above in stock form... i believe jedi already corrected his dyno number months ago correcting it down to 18x.xx.

you woudlnt be recieving such flaming if it werent for your starting of your thread with "ive been into the drag scene blah blah blah... i have a lot of experience... blah blah blah." even if it were with honduh/acuras all it does it make that crowd look even worse when someone like you touts false knowlege. :shame:

back to my previous conclusion agreeing with GTE... YOU HAVE A LOT TO LEARN.... SON

·
Registered
68 Posts
unless you got a turbo or S/C dont mess with ANY nissan 3.5. they will own you all day long. i learned the hard way, and messed with a 3.5 max. i was OWN3D. the 3.5 is NO MATCH for an IS. I KNOW that an IS with every damn bolt on will LOSE to any 3.5 nissan...z, alti, max. Some of those guys with minimal bolt ons and slicks are in the 13s! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SteveBigPimpin said:
unless you got a turbo or S/C dont mess with ANY nissan 3.5. they will own you all day long. i learned the hard way, and messed with a 3.5 max. i was OWN3D. the 3.5 is NO MATCH for an IS. I KNOW that an IS with every damn bolt on will LOSE to any 3.5 nissan...z, alti, max. Some of those guys with minimal bolt ons and slicks are in the 13s! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Steve, thank you for the intelligent, clear, and concise response. That's all I needed to know.

:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
man i drove an altima and it felt like a ford taurus with torque steer... It wasn't pleasant!.. IS300 man.. or my 230WHP turbo mazda mx6 front wheel driver!! it's got mad torque steer but it's got the torque to play with the big bros..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quote "In the MEANTIME however, all I wanted to know was if minor boltons to an IS300 would yield a 14.20 or better"

I SERIOUSLY doubt that exhaust/header/ECU change will get you in a
14.2 or better. Now if you had that combo along with a dry shot of 100HP nitrous oxide, now your talking high 13s....

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
HybridKOOP said:
also how is our engine rated at 215 for e-shift and 225 for 5spd? never knew the tranny we had affected CRANK horsepower.

I'm not basing it off of crank horsepower... I'm referring to a handful of the 5-spds I've seen, put down just about 200 at the wheels in stock form (high 190's to be specific).

Give or take... 15% drivetrain, you're looking at about 230hp.

And as far as the half a liter displacement difference, go drive the Altima and step on it from a low rpm, the torque is noticeably different.

As far as driving goes, I *know* driver matters, but you have to understand I'm comparing 2 cars that I personally have driven (my IS, and my friends Altima). If you're questioning my driving skills, watch this:

http://www.endlesstrance.com/LouisLSVTEC.mpg

All motor Civic I built and dragged 2 nights a week for a year or so. 1.7X 60 foots with an open diff, yes I can drive :crazy:
I honestly can't believe a stock 5 speed pulling close to 200 rwhp. Here's my bone stock dyno, which is similar to every other bone stock 5 speed dyno plus/minus a few horses. As you can see that's not even close to 200 rwhp.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
this is the same thing i said louis

btw, a stock stickshift will put down right around 185rwhp, 194rwtq

i have never seen a stock stick dyno in the 190's with a sae correction, i think that was misinformation that was given to you

-gte

HybridKOOP said:
SteveBigPimpin said:
Steve, thank you for the intelligent, clear, and concise response. That's all I needed to know.

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IS300GTE said:
this is the same thing i said louis

btw, a stock stickshift will put down right around 185rwhp, 194rwtq

i have never seen a stock stick dyno in the 190's with a sae correction, i think that was misinformation that was given to you

-gte
Hey guys... thank you for the clarification. What I may have mistaken was hp and tq numbers from when my friends dyno'd their cars in stock form down in Miami before making changes. I could have sworn a few 5-spds had hit 196whp, but I now realize that it was probably more like 185 and 196 TORQUE. Thank you for the clarification.

Either way, I'm still extremely impressed with the sheer grunt from the Nissan 3.5... I know the Altima has no handling/feel compared to our cars, but they definitely are potent in the power department.

That T62 is starting to look really nice :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
HybridKOOP said:
Either way, I'm still extremely impressed with the sheer grunt from the Nissan 3.5... I know the Altima has no handling/feel compared to our cars, but they definitely are potent in the power department.
Yeah, those damn nissan 3.5s are bad ass! U should drive a max like i got with the HLSD! Damn...its F A S T!!! not to mention the altis are U G L Y!!! :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts